Frank's Last Words

Someone Special In My Life

Now

The bath water had grown stone cold but I still didn’t want to get out. I was enjoying my thoughts too much, they were of Frank and what we’d had together. I turned the hot water on full blast and filled the bath once more then I heard the familiar voice at the door.

A voice I’d grown to hate.

”How much longer are you going to be in there?” It said in annoyance.

“About 15 minutes, you know me,” I shouted back.

“Don’t be long, I’m getting hungry out here,” he said.

I’d made the hugest mistake of my life marrying him. It was definitely on the re-bound from Frank, hardly a month had gone by when I began dating him, it seemed right at the time, he was a shoulder to cry on but a week after we’d wed, or more like as soon as we’d wed I knew I’d made a mistake.

Because I couldn’t get Frank out of my system and it still bugged me. It still bugged me that I’d never got an answer and today, even now I knew that there was more to it. There had to be.

I lay back in the water and felt ashamed slightly because I was a married woman and I still couldn’t take my mind off of Frank.

Then

It took ages for the crowd to disperse, I think they’d hoped the band would do another encore so they hung around waiting for them to come back on but Carly said they only ever did one encore and she was sure that most of them knew that by now but she also said that most of them were Frank fans and were hanging around in the hope that he’d come back on once more.

But they didn’t and almost an hour had gone past by the time we were ready to leave the venue.

“So, what did you think?” Said Carly. She was much taller than me, but then most people were. I was only five feet tall and most people hardly ever thought that I was eighteen years old. I found it difficult to get into bars and clubs but the most benefit I got was that I could get child’s fare on the bus or at the movies.

“They were better than I thought they were going to be,” I said and they were. I’d never got much into bands and music and after hearing them I wondered why. “But you mentioned that Frank was leaving and joining some other band, what will happen to them now?” I asked.

“Not sure, I think they’ll carry on as they’ve lined up a replacement for Frank but this band he’s going to play with, MCR, they’re awesome. I saw them two months ago but with Frank going to play for them, they’re going to rock even more,” she said sounding so excited.

”So how does your brother know Frank?” I said as we made our way out of the door.

“They were at school together. They hung out together for ages then drifted apart slightly, they’re still friends but don’t see each other as much. Frank’s great, he’s such a kind guy.” She said.

“Hey, sounds as if you like him a little,” I said to her watching her face.

“I used to, some time ago, I think he was my first crush but…things change and then the next crush comes along.” She said.

“Are you having a crush over anyone at the moment?” I asked her.

“A little but…he doesn’t even know I exist,” she said. She looked sad, we were pretty close friends and often talked about guys we liked but she seemed serious suddenly.

“Anyone I know?” I asked her.

“He’s in the band that Frank’s joining. He’s their singer and…there’s just something about him. I only met him once, about a month ago and…I can’t stop thinking about him. He’s much older than me and…I don’t know anything about him but, no it’s a stupid crush. Just that. A crush and it’ll go away soon. As soon as I talk to him it’ll probably go away because he probably won’t live up to my expectations.” She said.

Then suddenly we heard a shout as we were leaving the building. It was Carly’s brother, Zach, he seemed out of breath from trying to catch up with us.

“Didn’t you hear me calling?” He said, breathing heavily.

“No, we were talking,” said Carly.

“It’s the guys…they….they’re having a drink backstage. Frank spotted you Carly and asked me where you were,” he said. “Are you going off somewhere else?” He asked. I liked Zach, he was only three years older than us but if I could choose an older brother for myself I would choose someone like Zach, he always took time out to speak to me and ask me about myself. He was interested and he didn’t have to be. That’s what I liked about him.

“No, we’re not, do you want to go back and have a drink with the guys?” Carly said to me.

“I don’t mind,” I said. “But…surely it’s a little private, what with Frank leaving,” I said to him.

“The more the merrier, that’s what they said,” Zach responded. “Come on, its cold out here, lets go and have a drink with them.”

So we did, we went backstage to meet them and all the way there, before we’d even go to the door that led to the backstage area, my heart was pounding in my ears, beating loudly and I had butterflies.

The door to the backstage opened and Frank was the first person I looked for in the room.

Suddenly, my eyes found him, he was chatting way to another guy from the band but to my surprise he was looking right back at me, his eyes twinkling in the half light of the room, a smile spreading across his face.

As soon as our eyes met I knew he was going to be someone special in my life.