Status: Complete :')

I Don't Like This Ending

Chapter 12

I slowly walked up to the bed. Her body was covered with a blanket and I heard the door shut quietly behind me. I was alone.

I stood looking at the pale white sheet for a few minutes, before I finally grew courage to see her.

To see Cassie.

I slowly pulled back the sheet, my eyes clamped shut.

I stood with my eyes closed for a few more minutes, until I gently eased them open. I don’t know why I was so afraid. I expected some noticeable difference, but I didn’t.

She looked exactly like the sleeping Cassie. Her eyes were shut, her lips still plump. The only difference was her rosy cheeks were pale, her lips no longer red.

The nurse was right. She died with a smile on her face, and the smile still remained.

I lifted my hand and placed it on her cheek, just needing to touch her one last time. Her skin was cold, but still as smooth as glass. My hand traced her face, brushing along her eyelids, across her lips, until it finally rested next to her face, limp and lifeless like the body before me.

I closed my eyes one last time, before turning around. I dared myself to look back, but I couldn’t do it. Could no longer deal with the pain. But in the end love is stronger than death. Love lasts forever, even after death. Death is just a milestone. Love can’t prevent death, just like death can’t take away our memories.

I opened the door and walked out, walking over to Kevin.

He looked at me; his face still flushed but he remained motionless. I walked over to him and he put his arms around me. I clung onto him, for the first time crying. My breathing became more hysterical and I collapsed onto the floor, my entire body aching.

Kevin held me while I sobbed onto his shoulder, damping his shirt. He muttered reassurances to me, telling me everything would be alright when I know it wouldn’t. I felt something hard digging into my shoulder and I remembered the parcel I had been handed.

I took out the manila folder, opening it and emptying the contents onto the floor. There was a letter and a ring.

I opened the letter, not caring that the children where all out their rooms silently crying to themselves or the tears streaming freely down my face.

I slowly opened the paper, seeing Cassies messy scrawl.

Dear Nick.
I need to be very clear and honest about what I’m going to say to you.
I love you.
I love everything about you. But I must admit that kiss seriously screwed my head up. Mixed signals are bad for a girl you know :]
I left you a ring. It’s the only piece of jewellery I own and would like you to have it.
I want you to forget about me, but at the same time I don’t. I always knew I would be no good for you. Why didn’t I listen to my head for a change?
Do what your heart wants you to do, Nicolas. I did, and it led me to you, so it can’t be such a bad thing. But you do need to move on, Nick.
Hanging o to the life of a dead girl won’t do any wonders for your health. I should know.
Thank you for everything you have done. You made me better again, even if just for a while. Don’t blame yourself for what has happened. I’ll die a happy person.
Love always, Cassie. x


I placed the letter on the ground and picked up the next piece of paper.

It was a photo.

There was a boy in the photo. His eyes were bright with happiness and he held a large, cheesy grin on his face. He had his arm around a girl. The girl had short, blonde hair with green eyes alight with what appeared to be love. She was laughing, her eyes crinkled up and her mouth open with joy.

It was Cassie and I.