Status: Complete :')

I Don't Like This Ending

Chapter 3

Soon we had to return to the stage and whenever I glanced towards the hospital corner Cassie wasn’t there. I tried not to worry, simply telling myself that she could be hidden somewhere or still in the toilets. By the time our concert had finished I was a nervous wreck.

“What’s up with you? You’ve got a face like a slapped arse,” Joe commented.

“Nothing,” I answered quietly.

We were currently in our dressing room; having just showered and now putting on clean clothes.

“Is it because of Cassie?” Kevin asked, sympathetically.

“Yeah. Where do you suppose she is?” I asked.

“I don’t know. Come on, we’ll go see the kids,” he told me, tugging on my arm to get me to follow.

As we approached the kids noticed us and gathered around, telling us how well we did and such.

“Where’s Cassie?” I asked.

They all went quiet and looked at the nurses for an explanation.

“She, err...she got tired. So she went back to the ward to rest.” She told us, avoiding eye contact with us. I gulped and walked away without saying goodbye to them, trying to hold in the tears.

I went and sat in the limo, before telling them to take me straight to the hospital. I don’t know why I was reacting so much; but there was just something about the girl that intrigued me. I always felt the need to protect her, love her. I was undoubtedly falling for her. I just didn’t know why.

I soon got into the hospital and ran through it, going straight to the oncology ward. Everything was quiet and nothing could be seen. I expected there was probably one nurse on duty and she could be anywhere. I walked through the dark corridor until I finally found her. Cassie.

She was sleeping, but wires were protruding through her body. She had an IV stuck to her arm, and a wire going through her nose. Her breaths were laboured yet she still looked peaceful, innocent. Purple bruises were covering her body—bruises that weren’t there 2 hours ago.

“Beautiful, isn’t she?” A voice said behind me. I started and whipped around to see a middle aged woman staring intently at me.

“Y-yes. She is.” I stammered. “I-“

“You don’t have to explain yourself to me,” she interrupted. “She has this affect on everyone.”

She walked towards Cassie and took her charts. “For years I have seen people watch her sleep, unable to look away,” She told me with a small smile on her face.

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“People find it hard to believe that a 15 year old girl can be so happy considering what she has. She hasn't had an easy life, yet she still smiles and laughs.”

I nodded my head, understanding. “The children here adore her.” I stated.

“Yes. She lifts this place up.” She agreed.

I watched as the doctor checked Cassie’s progress before I spoke.

“What’s wrong with her?” I asked, concern lacing my voice.

“She has bone marrow failure,” the doctor answered.

Bone marrow failure? I didn’t exactly know a lot about it; just that is was either inherited or
acquired and that involved our cells and we needed donors to get better.

Would Cassie get better?