The Professor's Daughter

FIFTEEN

The days passed in a peculiar way; whilst present time sped on and the day felt shorter then ever, Maria would look back on the week and believe it to be one of the longest she’d ever experienced. It was as if there was some cruel witch holding a stopwatch controlling Maria’s life. She’d slow down the bad bits and speed up the rest, torturing the girl into living those sad and lonely parts for that bit longer.

The time since she’d spoken to Leighton, last heard his voice, witnessed that tender look, seemed like weeks ago. The hours until his lesson moved sluggishly slowly as she waited in the corridor alone. And then that short period, where Maria would see the man she denied herself, would pass in the blink of an eye.

But she tried not to let that happen: she tried to grasp those moments where his gaze might absentmindedly flit to her before he realized and trained his eyes not to move towards her again, or when he simply said her name in the register at the start of class. And she tried to savor every little detail because at night she would flick through them and, for a short while, she wouldn’t feel as lonely as she heard the thunderous snores coming from her father’s room.

Being back at the flat took some getting used to especially as Maria had become quite accustomed to the luxuries of living with Leighton like how the hot water would last for more then a couple minutes, or how you couldn’t hear the other people in the building at all but now it was that, even when you’d cleaned for hours, the place still looked just as grubby as when you’d begun.

And that was what Maria filled her days with; between attending her classes at the university, visiting her mother and cooking meals for her father, she’d complete all the little jobs he’d suggest for her. It seemed that once she’d finished them all he’d recommend more for her because, as he’d say whenever she questioned him, ‘her mother always did it and it would make her happy to know that Maria was continuing to keep her home just as clean and tidy’.

But this wasn’t a home, it could never be a home for anyone; home was where the heart was and Maria’s heart was currently wondering aimlessly around his now empty apartment.

She’d tried to talk to him, to smooth things out a little, after all their time apart wouldn’t be forever. She hoped.

“Your essay, Professor.” She had plainly stated a few days after the hospital fiasco and once another lesson had finished and the class had cleared.

Professor Leighton did not look up from the pile of paperwork on his desk.

“My essay?” Maria tried again before heaving a sigh and dropping the stapled paper on the books scattering the work top. “So now you’re ignoring me, how very mature Thomas.” She muttered below her breath as she dragged herself from the classroom.

“It is Professor Leighton please Miss Ludwig.” She heard him mutter.

Turning around slowly, unsure if she’d really heard anything, Maria focused on the Professor who had picked up her essay and was flipping through the pages. He wouldn’t look at her, but the small sentence had been enough to bring back the reminder of what she was missing. The low voice that glided over words so smoothly even if it was to reprimand her.

“So you’re acknowledging me now?” She asked, trying to bring a lighter, jokier tone to the exchange of words.

“I was never not before.” He looked up at her through those thick-rimmed glasses. “I was giving you space and time. That was what you asked for wasn’t it, Maria?”

Maria would have coped with his hostility had he not said her name in such a way that made her want him to repeat it over and over again. She liked how it sounded coming from him.

Instead of standing gapingly, Maria pulled herself together and nodded her head. She turned back to the door, her hot hand closing around the handle.

“Is your father better now?” Came that cool voice.

Maria did not turn as she replied.

“Much.” She spoke and then promptly left.

And those had been the only words conversed between the pair. Instead of saying any more, Maria stuck to her jobs in miserable silence and Leighton, to worrying over the results of his job interview. Professor Daniels had told him that the person taking his position was to be announced at his retirement dinner.

And so, Leighton stood in front of the mirror straightening his tie that evening, ignoring the ringing phone and the messages from his sister. He combed his hair, cleaned his glasses and polished his shoes before setting off for the Great Hall of Hainsbury University.

The tall building with its dimmed evening lights had round tables covered in white and black cloths scattered around the floor and a large space at the front for dancing to the jazz band at the end of the night. Leighton loosened his tie a little and placed his present, a first-class bottle of whiskey, for Professor Daniels down on the table.

There were many other presents and many other people already chatting to each other around the room but this did not surprise Leighton. Not only had Daniels worked at the university for over thirty years, but it was impossible not to warm to the bubbly and jolly Professor with his bristly beard and growing paunch.

“Thomas!” Called Professor Daniels as he approached his guest with outstretched arms. “So glad you could make it my boy. Let’s not stand by the presents table, people will think us suspicious.” The Professor joked and Leighton gave a short laugh. “Drink?”

“Sure.” He replied and was instantly led over to the table serving for the evening as a bar.

“Ah, Maria. You are helping out?”

Leighton’s gaze shot up to the girl dressed in a crisp white shirt and black skirt, as she manned the table uncertainly.

“Of course, Professor Daniels. Always happy to lend a hand.”

“Well I am very grateful. Is Susie around?”

Leighton saw Maria’s smile falter for barely a moment before she nodded her head weakly. Had things become worse between the pair?

“Excellent well what would you like to drink Thomas?”

Daniels turned to Leighton who was staring at Maria as she avoided his gaze.

“Sorry?” He tore his gaze away as Daniels eyed him expectantly.

“Drink?”

“Oh.” Leighton told Maria what he wanted and she set about pouring the liquid into one of the stacked glasses.

“The announcement will be towards the end of the night.” Daniels explained to Leighton. “The board has made their decision, so it’s between you and Maggie. I did put in a good word for you.”

“You didn’t have to.” Leighton reminded him as he took the glass from Maria, noting the way their fingers brushed over one another as she handed it over. Maria looked down at the table and Daniels and a regretful Leighton headed more into the center of the room.

“I wanted to though. I have watched you grow in this University, Thomas, I know you deserve it just as much as Margaret Richards does.” Daniels smiled. “And anyway, that woman scares me half daft.”

“Well, thank you.” Leighton smiled down at his drink. He agreed, Margaret Richards was a particularly scary figure, but Leighton was fairly certain he was afraid of her for completely different reasons.

“You’re very welcome my boy. Now do excuse me, I’ve just seen a very old friend.” Daniels patted Leighton once on the arm and strolled off towards his other guests.

Meanwhile, Leighton took a large gulp of his drink and undid the collar of his shirt as he watched Maria pour drinks for other attendants. In a small way he was angry at the girl, she had made him open up to her, to show feelings he rarely displayed and then she had left him so suddenly, after all of the generosity he had shown her. And in a slightly bigger way, he was frustrated at her father and even at her for falling into Ludwig’s trap. But the biggest part eating him up was how much he missed her.

He missed the faces she’d pull at him over the breakfast table, or the way he’d come back from the University to her sometimes disastrous cooking or how in the evenings they’d sit in comfortable silence whilst he marked papers and then he’d look over to find her small figure huddled up, fast asleep, on the sofa.

He’d always been a man preferring the company of himself to the company of others but she had changed that, now he no longer felt contempt as he ate dinner alone, he felt lonely. But there was nothing he could do but wait. Whether it would be until Ludwig let his daughter go or until she defied him, he did not know. How long would he wait? How long did she expect him to? Until her father died? Was he able to stand by for such a long period?

Leighton downed his drink and discarded it on one of the tables catching the attention of one of the female guests.

“Good Evening Professor Leighton.” Greeted Clara, Daniels’ assistant.

Leighton turned to the woman, she was not ugly though perhaps a little plain looking.

“Evening.” He smiled politely. “Enjoying the party?”

Clara smiled shyly, “Yes thank you, although many of these people remind me of my grandfather but don’t tell Daniels, will you Professor?”

Leighton shook his head, his eyes flicking briefly to Maria who had stopped to watch them, their eyes met briefly; hers wide and afraid but Leighton merely turned back to Clara. “Of course not, but please, call me Thomas.”

The night continued in much the same way. Clara stuck by Leighton’s side (much to Maria’s silent dismay). It seemed that apart from those helping out behind the scenes, Clara and Leighton were some of the few under the age of fifty and so they talked amongst one another, Leighton avoiding Clara’s questions and turning them around on her. But she did not mind, it was just nice to have some of the Professor’s rare attention.

The meal was finished and some couples were dancing, Professor Daniels chuckling away with old friends as they reminisced and Clara and Leighton sat at the table with only another couple bickering quietly with each other.

“So how long have you lived on Hillsborough Street?” Clara asked, her elbows on the table as she leaned forward to hear the reply.

Leighton sat back in his chair, fiddling with the place card absently.

“Not long. A few years maybe.”

“And do you live with anyone?” Clara hinted softly. “A roommate? A girlfriend?”

Leighton shook his head. He lived alone.

“So there’s no one in your life currently?”

Leighton cottoned on to what Clara was getting at.

“It’s complicated.” He spoke lucidly.

“Oh.” Clara sat back a little defeated. At least she had tried.

The couple opposite had now agreed to disagree and sat, turned away from one another, with crossed arms.

“Do you fancy a dance?” Clara offered. She glanced over at the professor who’s intent attention was somewhere towards the back of the room. “Profess-“

But she was cut off; the band stopped their playing as Daniels stepped up to the microphone. He tapped the instrument once and a high squeal shot through the speakers, causing people to wince as Daniels adjusted it to his short height.

“Ah there we go. Can you hear me in the back?” A loud cheer came up from the other side of the room where Maria and the others had gathered to watch the Professor’s little speech.

From here she could just about see Professor Leighton and Daniels’ assistant sat at their table. Maria had never said two words to the woman but she knew she disliked her by the way she had greedily stolen Professor Leighton for the whole evening. But she tried not to let the hurt he had caused when she watched them show even if she had slammed his soup bowl down with a little more force then necessary.

Leighton hadn’t reacted, he had simply taken it, watching the soup slop from side to side before Maria left annoyed.

“I’d just like to thank you all for coming tonight, each one of you have made this night a truly special occasion…”

Maria watched Daniels smile at his audience as Susie stood beside her. The girl had been a little louder this evening and instead of being angry at Maria, had adopted her boyfriend’s smug attitude to her.

Daniels talked on about his time at the University, the people he shall miss and the ones he was thankful to.

“And now of course, the moment I am sure two people in this room have been anxiously waiting for. Announcing my replacement.” Daniels pulled a sealed envelope from his pocket and waved it for all to see. “I asked the board to glamorize the announcement up a bit, after all it is a party. I don’t know who’s name is written inside but I wish the best of luck to both Ms Richards and our very own Professor Leighton.”

Maria reached up tall to watch Leighton who was now sat upright in his chair, his attention fully focused on Daniels words. She silently wished him good luck and crossed her fingers that he had gotten the position.

“And my replacement is, or shall I say, the winner is…”

Daniels tore apart the seal and unfolded the paper inside, clearing his throat. Maria’s heart beat wildly against her chest as she held her breath.

“Come on Tom.” She whispered almost silently. “Come on.”

“Margaret Richards.” Daniels announced as a round of applause drew up around the room. Daniels’ voice was a little shaky and quiet as he leant forward again. “Congratulations my dear.”

Maria’s heart sunk as she searched once again for Leighton, her eyes scanning the area he had once been and coming up with nothing. Where had he gone?

Margaret was already flashing her eerie and triumphant smile as she strode up to the stage as people clapped her on. But Maria was worryingly raking through the crowd finally spotting a figure retreating towards the side door.

“Maria?” Susie called after her as she walked hastily from the other helpers. “Maria.” She hissed but Maria didn’t stop or turn around.

She was almost jogging now as she pushed through the crowd of clapping guests and through the doors that swung back and forth. She just had to find him, to check that he was alright. She might not be with him but she still cared. She knew that deep down, no matter what happened between them, she would always care for him.

Her head spun to check both directions that were each as empty as the other. Deciding to go left, her feat slapped against the wooden floor and she searched the corridors that branched off before seeing him.

He stood looking out of one the windows, oblivious of Maria’s presence. She walked tentatively closer, unsure of what to say or if he’d appreciate her following him. Her heart rate was still high from the tense announcement and from moving so quickly through the hallways.

She arrived by his side but still his gaze was focused on the starry skies outside, his hands casually in his pockets. Maria rested her hand on his arm as she watched for a reaction.

After a while, Leighton turned to her; his eyes forlorn as they dropped to the floor. Her heart wrenching at seeing him so sad, Maria stepped closer, lifting her hand to rest on his cheek in order to make him look at her.

Slowly but surely he did and Maria gasped as their eyes locked. She brushed her thumb down his cheek as her fingertips nestled in to his hair. She brought up her other hand and held his face between her fingers.

A long time ago, she had dreamed of one day feeling him beneath her fingertips and now she was. But she hadn’t wanted it to be quite like this; for his intense eyes to be so despondent as they consumed her, or for the crinkle of his eyebrows to be so heavy.

Maria felt two hands rest on her hips, pulling her ever more closer and into the amatory trance she was falling in under his spell. Leighton rested his forehead against hers as his eyes drifted peacefully shut. Her hands still cradling his face, Maria moved her head a little to press her lips to the edge of his mouth, she pulled back a little and moved to his cheek, gently nuzzling her lips against the rough skin.

Leighton’s hands shifted to clasp Maria tighter against him and in reply she wound her arms around his neck and guided his head to rest on her shoulder. Their movements were so fluid and beautifully tender that Maria let her eyes fall shut as her fingers combed sedately through his dark ruffled hair.

“I’m so sorry.” She whispered in his ear but he only entwined her deeper within his arms in reply.

Far away a door banged open and Maria stiffened, she pulled away, Leighton eyeing her drowsily, before separating her body from his. He grabbed her hand as she retreated further from him, tugging her back so that she stumbled into him.

He caught her with his free hand and held his other up to hold her face, his gaze on her lips.

“I have to go.” She argued in a hushed dulcet tone, placing her hands on his chest.

Maria’s hair coiled around Leighton’s fingers as he brought her face closer and ever so softly touched his lips to hers.

As her cheek’s flooded with colour, Maria grasped Leighton’s face and let him move his mouth pliably against her own. She savored the moment; the warmth of his skin, the feel of his cotton shirt as she knotted it in her hand, the way his fingers pressed against her face, the incredible feeling that had overcome her.

Hearing heels clack against the floor, Maria once again pulled away, letting her fingers brush down Leighton’s chest as she withdrew.

“I’m so sorry.” Maria repeated before turning and trotting back down the corridor. Once she reached the main hallway she turned back to Leighton who stood with his back to the wall, his hands raking through his hair.

So truly sorry.

With a heavy sigh, Maria focused back on returning to the Great Hall, passing Margaret Richards on her way who marched purposefully. Maria gave a small smile and diverted her eyes in fear that Margaret would see the truth in them.

In fear that Margaret would see the love they held.
♠ ♠ ♠
Crikey.

Question?

Some lovely chappies coming up soon (at least I think they will be)

Comment please :)