Killing Me Softly

Chapter Eleven.

The days went on, and over that time Mike and I had become very close, even closer than Billie and I.

In fact, on the week leading up to me meeting Tré I hardly spoke to Billie, and it made my heart ache with longing.

Mike and I had become good friends, but that's all.

Mike liked Billie's slightly older sister, and I liked Billie, so we knew nothing would ever happen between us.

Mike and I had continued to ditch school here and there, occasionally with Billie, but when it was just Mike and I, I enjoyed it loads better.

Sarah had soon figured out Billie and I liked each other, and lived next to each other and was green with envy.

She and her friends would pick on me, and spread rumours.

Billie knew this was going on, and didn't stop it.

They made fun of my taste in music, my hair, my clothes, shoes, home, family... Everything.

And it pissed me off.

Big time.

Anyone who had known me in Iceland knew I took shit from nobody.

If there was some bitch going around, spreading rumours or picking on anyone, I would be the one who went up to her and smacked her one.

I even took on the guys.

But in California, all the fighting was sneaky, and if you wanted to have revenge, it took time, care and concentration.

That was the kind of stuff I sucked at, so I basically had to put up with their torments.

One day, the day before Tré came, I knew it would be turning out heaps worse.

~ After Gym in the Change Rooms ~

''I know, I heard her. She's such a slut.''

Sarah was saying through the shower doors, not realising I was there.

''Agreed.'' Her best friend, Kimberly Anne gushed. ''Have you got the posters, Ash?''

''Yeah. I got them blown up too. It took me forever on Photoshop to fix it all up.''

''Thanks, Ash.'' Sarah said. ''Thanks to both of you. That whore thinks she all that with Billie liking her, and that try hard rock chick image. She needs to be taken down.''

''Yeah. I know.'' Kimberley Anne replied, stopping her shower.

Soon after all three of them sauntered out, make up and clothes already perfectly placed on their bodies.

It was sad how much of an effort they went to.

''Oh, haii Sadie! Having fun with Mike?'' Sarah gushed. ''Or wait... is it Billie? I can't keep track.''

''Oh, it's Billie alright.'' I replied. ''Mike and I are just best friends. Billie and I are in love.''

Sarah knew I meant business, that I wouldn't step down.

She smiled fake-ly.

''Good luck with that!'' She sing-songed, flipping her hair and flouncing out of the room, only to slip on my towel laying by the door.

I started laughing.

She stumbled upwards again, and picked up the towel, throwing it at me.

''Watch it, bitch.'' She spat.

''Uh, you're the one that fell over for not watching where you were walking.''

The other girls in the change room laughed, and I knew I'd crossed the line.

''Ha, we'll see about that.''

And with one final stare down, Sarah, Kimberley Anne, and Ashley walked out, slamming the door behind them.

''Mike.'' I said, answering my mobile.

''Yeah, hey sorry I'm late, are you waiting outside?''

'Yeah. Billie's brother is taking us, right?'

''No,'' Mike replied. ''My friend is. Billie is going separately.''

''Because of me?'' I asked.

''...''

Mike didn't answer right away.

''I don't know.'' He said finally.

''You're not a good liar, especially to me, Mikey. I know he feel uncomfortable.''

''That's only because you don't talk to him. You should tell him about... Jonas. I reckon he has the whole wrong idea.''

''No. No way. I have to go wait for you. Hurry up.'' I hung up.

''Mother!'' I called.

''Yes, Sadie.'' She said angrily.

''I'm going to the airport now, okay? I'll be back tomorrow morning. At Billie's, or Mikes, or Al's, I'm not quite sure.''

My mother hated the fact that all my friends were guys.

''Who is it you're fetching from the airport? Tré or Frank?''

''Tré and Frank are the same people, mother. It's actually Frank, but everyone calls him Tré. He's going to change his name. I have to go.''

''Don't hurry back.''

My mother had started to hate me since we made the move.

I don't understand why.

As I sat on the front step, Billie was walking out of his house.

Hand in hand with... Sarah.

What!

She saw me first.

''Hey Sadie!'' She called, Mike and Jason finally turned in front of my house.

I quickly stood up and ran to his friends car.

Tears spilt out of my eyes as Mike saw Billie and Sarah.

Mike unbuckled his seat belt.

''Billie!'' He yelled, getting out of the car. ''What are you doing?''

''Sarah's my actual girlfriend now.'' Billie replied innocently.

''Are you coming to get Tré?''

''No. Sarah and I are going out.''

''This isn't over, man. You've changed.''

Mike walked slowly back to the car, tears forming in his own eyes and he saw what Billie was doing to his new best friend.

He cared for Sadie.

He loved her.