Killing Me Softly

Chapter Twelve.

I was really excited.

And I was depressed.

We were going to the airport, Tré was coming back from Iceland that day.

Billie was now officially going out with Sarah, and she kept tormenting me, even though it calmed down a bit once he asked her out.

Mike knew I was on the edge, and like a good best friend, he looked after me and supported me.

All the way to the airport he was hugging me as I cried into his jacket.

Eventually, the car pulled into a parking space of the airport, and Mike, Jason, and I stepped out.

''Billie's not coming, is he?''

''No, Sadie. Didn't you hear him?''

''No. I was too busy crying.''

''Oh, Sadie. Honestly, he's not worth your tears if he treats you like he does.''

''I know you're right Mike, but it hurts. It hurts so much. I love him, and he used to love me.''

''What are you talking about? Used to? He still does, Sadie, he's never stopped.''

''So, then, why does he want to hurt me?''

Mike's face grew still.

I knew there was a reason why Billie was treating me like this.

I knew Mike knew the reason.

Billie must have told him.

''Mike?'' I pressed, wanting to know.

''Because... because you hurt him.'' He said finally, shutting the car door and walking towards the elevator.

Jason and I walked close to him.

''What do you mean?''

''You know... That night, with... Jonas.''

''Oh.''

''He thinks... you... you know... cheated on him.''

''So that's why he's acting like this? While I was getting raped, he thought I cheated with someone I just met!'' I was angry, and I didn't understand why.

''Yes, Sadie.'' Mike said softly, taking my hand in his supportively.

''He doesn't understand. He doesn't know.''

''That's why you should tell him. God, Sadie, I told you to tell him. Now it's a bit too late.''

''I know. Oh, Jesus, Mike, I fucked up.''

''No, you didn't,'' Mike said calmly. ''He did. And I'm so angry at him. I'm so angry that he'd do this to you. Don't get me wrong, Sadie, I only like you as a friend, and nothing more, but the way Billie is doing this to you...''

''Mike, he can't help it, he's hurting.''

We walked into the terminal. Jason was quiet, just listening.

''See? Sadie, what you just said, how you stood up for him, understood him, that's why he doesn't deserve you. You deserve someone better.''

''Someone like you?'' I asked him before I could notice what I had said.

I quickly regretted the words I had just spoke.

''Well, no... I don't like you like that. You're my new best friend.''

''Good. Because I feel the exact same. I don't want anyone to think that we are more than friends. I trust you Mike, I trust you with everything.''

''I trust you too.'' Mike said. ''Probably more than Billie.''

''You did not just say that. You've known Billie since you guys were eleven.''

''Yeah, so? You're more of a friend than Billie ever was. I love Billie, of course I do, it's just... I don't know. I'm more myself around you.''

I laughed.

''Yes, I know. I feel the same about Billie, too.''

He laughed, getting my joke.

''Oh, look! There's Tré's plane!''

Mike, Jason and I rushed over the lounge.

''Tré!''

''Mike!''

The two boys ran into an evelope hug.

And I saw Tré.

I felt different about him.

I don't know why...