Killing Me Softly

Chapter Seven.

I was getting ready to see Billie that night.

He, and his friend Mike, were in a band and were practicing tonight.

Billie had asked me to come, and I happily accepted.

Just as I was slipping on my converse, my phone rang. I didn't bother to check Caller ID.

''Hello?''

''Hey, Sadie, it's me.'' Billie's sweet voice made my knees wobble.

''Oh, uh, hey Billie.''

''Um, look, I know you were supposed to come over with Mike tonight, but I'm really sorry, I can't do it anymore. I know it's late notice, I'm really sorry.''

''Um, yeah, that's okay. Don't worry about it.'' I couldn't stop the sorry feeling at the bottom of my stomach, or the tears welling up in my eyes.

''Sorry, Sadie. Don't think it's because I don't like you or anything-''

''No, Billie, I get it, okay? I have to go.''

I hung up and threw my mobile savagely onto my double bed. My heart was breaking, I could feel the hot tears streaming down my cheeks like mini rivers, only this time there were no rocks to break their fall.

''Why does this happen to me!'' I screamed, pounding down the stairs and walking out the front door.

Mum was working late, again, so I didn't even bother to look out for her.

Instead of walking near Billie's I walked the opposite way, into town.

It was strange compared to Icelandic towns, and I didn't quite feel safe or comfortable around the shoppers, or the shops.

I quickly bought a chocolate bar from the supermarket and started on my trek home.

The night was chilly, and I cursed myself for only wearing my Ramones tank top, skinny jeans and studded belt.

Had a jumper ever gone astray ?

As I walked along the desolate footpaths, I couldn't help but feel that there was someone lurking behind me.

Part of me thought I was just imagining things, part of me wanted to start running home, and part of me wondered if it were Billie playing games.

I quickly silenced the thoughts as I quickened my pace and started to get more and more homesick as the seconds ticked on.

''Sadie... Sadie...'' I heard a whisper from behind.

I stopped.

I turned.

I wasn't imagining, there was someone behind me, someone I thought I left in Iceland...