Status: Completed.

Protect Me From What I Want

Better Run Like The Devil Cause He's Never Gonna Leave You Alone

I immediately felt free as soon as I left the room with no Joker to follow me. Nevertheless, I began running down the street just in case the beast woke up sometime soon. I had no idea where I was heading but I had to go somewhere that wasn’t with him. My first option was Ivy’s. But then I realised I had no idea where her hideout was. The second option was go to the police station. But I’d be turning myself in basically and I didn’t want to go back to Arkham anytime soon. The third and final option was Bruce Wayne’s complex. Not long ago in Arkham, Batman had told me that Bruce offered to take me in as strange as it had sounded. Right now that was the only valid option, so I went for it. But first I needed to find away to get there.

Once I had approached the corner of the street. I heard a noise which all of China could have heard. “HARLEYYYYY!” I flinched at the sound. I couldn’t return to him now that he was in this state of mind. I could tell by his fury filled roar that he had it in for me, so I did what was best and I ran. I turned my head to see The Joker absolutely livid bearing his teeth as he glowered at me. He hopped into the van and immediately began speeding out between the buildings and down the street towards me.

He could definitely catch me if he continued to drive at the speed he was. Once I had turned the corner the street wasn’t a busy anymore and a few people were crowding around the stairs to the underground. I knew they lead to Gotham’s subway and I knew it was a risky chance but that was where I was headed. That way The Joker wouldn’t be able stay in his van when chasing me. Nonetheless, I knew how relentless he was and he’d probably chase me down into the subway station too. I pulled up my hood before diving into the crowd of people, just so I didn’t look as recognisable in the public eye. I jumped down the stairs three at a time and people shot me strange glances wondering why the hell I was in such a rush. They’d soon find out. I knew how far back The Joker was just by judging how close the fearful screams of pedestrians were. A wave of screams echoed throughout the tunnel underground as The Joker pushed and shoved through the hordes of people.

The subway station was extremely crowded considering that it was the only safe way of transportation which avoided the icy snow. As the crowds thickened the harder it became for me to squeeze past everyone. “Move! Quickly! Watch out! Coming through!” I’d scream at all of Gotham’s citizens and they’d call back with “Hey!” as I shoved past them viciously. If they knew who I was and who I was running from they wouldn’t have protested against me. I snapped my head around so I could see whereabouts The Joker was. His purple coat stood out amidst the crowds and I could see he was at a reasonable distance away from. He was having the same trouble as me as he shoved screaming pedestrians to the ground easily.

Once I had reached a platform which already had a train waiting to leave, I boarded it before the doors could close. I prayed to God that the doors would close before The Joker reached them. People got a good look at my face and gasped in shock but once they saw what I was staring at fearfully, they emitted loud, piercing screams. “Come on, come on, come on,” I chanted as The Joker stampeded closer and closer. My grip holding onto the metal bar beside me tightened as my stomach did flips. The doors were closing painfully slow and for a second, I thought The Joker was going to make it through, until he came colliding into the windows. He was so close to me, but yet so far away. I let out a relieved sigh when The Joker growled angrily and slammed his fists against the doors, making a few people flinch. I smiled and waved at him as the train started up. He was clenching his fists tightly as he slowly moved out of viewing distance and I was thankful that I was now finally out of his clutches. But who knew for how long. He could be waiting at the next subway stop for me for all I know. I seriously hoped I could get to Bruce’s apartment before The Joker found me again.

Shakily my legs took me over towards a seat next to a cowering mother. I sat down with uneven breathing and nervously rubbed my hands. The facial expressions on all of the passengers were enough to say that they were all terrified of me, but I ignored them too scared for my wellbeing. I just wanted this train journey to be over and done with. But I had no idea what stop to get off.

“Excuse me? You wouldn’t happen to know whereabouts Bruce Wayne’s apartment complex is, would you?” I questioned the scared mother.

She choked on her words as she flinched slightly as if I was going to hurt her. “Um...I don’t know. I think it’s the next stop,” she answered a little warily. I nodded simply in return and continued to wallow in my fear. I had only ever been to Bruce Wayne’s apartment once and that was when The Joker was driving me there, so I was still a little vague on exactly where the building was. Eventually I’d find it if I asked around, in fear of being hunted down by both The Joker and the cops.

The train began slowing down and the screeches of the brakes could be heard before a chime echoed through the carriages, signifying that the doors were about to open. Immediately I stood up and power walked out of the subway station. I carefully eyed by surroundings, scared that somewhere he was watching me and ready to pounce. My hood was still up so a lot of the civilians couldn’t see who I was. I never let them get the chance to see my whole face.

When I stepped out from the underground level, it wasn’t as crowded as I thought it’d be. It was quite dark and only a few people wandered the streets. Still trying to hide my face, I asked people on the location of Bruce Wayne’s penthouse. A lot of them didn’t know and were sceptical on why I was blatantly hiding my appearance. But a few people were vague on the location and after asking a few people I managed to know roughly on how to get there. Every building looked the same in the concrete jungle and I remember thinking that when I was here with The Joker.

Eventually, I stood outside of a building that was extremely familiar. I remember being dragged into this building once The Joker became livid after finding out I had lied. I took a deep breath before stepping inside the building bracing myself for what might happen next. How was Bruce going to handle the fact that a wanted criminal is standing in his apartment? Nonetheless, I was thankful The Joker hadn’t yet found me.

Besides, Bruce had offered me a place to stay so it’s his own fault if he’s changed his mind. The woman at the front desk screamed when she saw who I was. She openly stepped aside from the elevator so that I could step in. At least being feared had its advantages. I had feeling she was going to call the cops as soon as I had disappeared though. I stood in the elevator and pressed the button for the top floor. I took my hood off now as it slowly brought me up to Bruce’s penthouse. My breath caught in my throat once the ping of the doors opening was heard and I stepped into Bruce’s apartment.

It was completely empty. Bruce was nowhere to be found. At least I had a few minutes to myself for me to be able to clear up my mind. I felt safe now. Out of reach of The Joker and he had no clue where I was. I smiled gleefully in my comfort while it lasted. Now all I had to do was hope that Bruce wouldn’t turn me in to the cops.
♠ ♠ ♠
Like? Not like?
Comments?
Subscribe?
Here ya go!
Oh my god! My prom is tomorrow. Dead excited! But I've also got an exam :| But then there's only one more left after that! Yay!
Can't wait for this story to finish either :\
Love you loads like oreos!