Darkness!

The Playground

I hurried across the road as a bus narrowly missed me. Walking through the playground I noticed that people were pointing at me. I knew I had a black eye but I didn't know how bad it was as I couldn't bring myself to look in the mirror. I never wore make-up as my dad said only tarts wore it... and he would definitely know because of the amount of tarts he had affairs with!
I don't fit in at my school. Everyone here is blonde and perfect. With there curvy figures and flat stomachs, but I'm nothing like them. I went through a stage of being anorexic but it didn't last long. None of the boys are reasonably fit-funny enough all the girls seem to think that they are though. P.E is always the worst. Not only am I picked last for each group, I also have to suffer the humiliation of getting changed and taking a shower with everyone looking at me. The teacher, Mrs Goodyear, always picks on me, as well, to do 'team activities' which involve me getting shouted at by a load of plastics. That what I call the girls here as they all are like plastic Barbie dolls. They look like they have come from the same mould only with different eye colour and complexion. I hitched my bag further over my shoulder and carried on walking. Facing the ground, obviously.

As I sat down, Frankie, the girl who sits in front of me, turned around.

"I heard your dad has 'done it' with Mrs Whitaker," she said with an evil grin.

Mrs Whitaker was an elderly lady who lived next door to us. She was the perfect neighbor as she was deaf and couldn't her dad beating mum half to death. She was also incredible fat and hobbled as she walked.
I was used to things like this and held my tongue-well as much as I could.

"To be honest I would be more worried if my dad 'did it' with your mum. Just imagine the amount of make-up that would end up on the sheets. It was being like someone had spilt a bottle of tango every-where."

She gave me the evils and turned around. Every-one knew that my dad slept around but they didn't know about the physical harm like the punches, that my dad did to us.
I went back to maths as the bell rang. I walked out and once again had to suffer the humiliation of people pointing at me and laughing. But I was bigger than them. I could cope with it.

"Hey, walk into a lamppost again. You’re so thick I bet you couldn't even see where you’re going!"

"She tripped over her mum. But then again she couldn't miss."

I closed my eyes as I hurried across. They didn't know the half of my life, but they would probably be the same even if they did.