Come On, Sweet Catastrophe

-thirty-two.

We were laying in his bed, our bodies turned to face the other. Derek was smiling lightly, his fingertips trailing along the curve of my waist. His touch left a trail of goosebumps on my skin and sent little tremors up and down my spine. He seemed to have noticed and assumed I was shivering from cold, pulling the covers over us so that only our heads were peaking above them. I shifted closer to him, closing the nearly foot long gap between our bodies. Our faces were mere centimeters apart and I could feel his warm, moist breath on my lips. I reached up to twist my fingers through the hair at the side of his head, by his ear. "Your hair is getting shaggy again. I should probably make an appointment soon," I mumbled, giving the soft strands a gentle tug. 

He chuckled, raising his brows at me. "I thought you didn't work for me anymore. Aren't I supposed to be making my own appointments?" 

I rolled my eyes and shrugged my shoulders. "I've been working for you for so long that I don't think I'll ever be able to come here without making a mental to do list." 

He smiled at me; this wide, slightly crooked, impish sort of grin. "Am I on your to do list?" 

I scoffed. "Been there, done that." I smirked at him, raising a single brow. "I'll never make that mistake again." 

"Mistake?!" He exclaimed, looking rather appalled by my choice of wording. He pulled away and I suddenly felt cold without him pressed against me. "Well, ouch... Bitch." 

"Chill, I'm kidding." I grinned, pulling him back to me. 

He snorted. "I can't believe you just told me to chill." 

"What's wrong with that?" I furrowed my brows. "What's wrong with saying chill?" 

"Wow, jeeze. Nothing. Chill." He was smirking at me, his eyes wide and playful. He was teasing me. I had grown to really love when he teased me. It was only ever about little things--Never in a way that would be at all humiliating. He just liked to give me a hard time about certain things and I liked it because it was so, well, Derek. It was a very Derek thing to do and I loved all the things that Derek did. 

"You know I love you, right?" I said softly after a long pause between the two of us, biting down on my lip. 

He smiled at me, cupping my face in his hands and lightly brushing his thumbs over my cheek bones. He leaned forward, letting his lips very softly press against mine. They stayed there, unmoving for a very long time, just enjoying the warm feeling of just being there. Then he turned his head, parting his lips and slowly moving them against mine. His mouth shifted down the slightest bit, taking my bottom lip between both of his and sucking on it lightly. When he pulled away, his traced my lips with his fingertips, smiling at me. "I do know." 

I smiled back at him, letting my hands creep up under his shirt to touch the warm skin underneath. I watched him through half-lidded eyes, suddenly too tired to open them fully. "I'm tired," I murmured, drawing patterns over his hip bone. 

He leaned forward, kissing my forehead. "Sleep, baby." He didn't need to tell me twice. I let my eyes fall shut, letting myself drift off to sleep to the feel of Derek's soft caresses.

-----

I was jolted awake quite suddenly, startled and disoriented. I looked around the room, sighing when I realized I was in Derek's bed. I relaxed against the mattress, burying my face into the pillow. I reached out in front of me, feeling around for Derek's body, but the spot where he once lay was empty and cold. The only thing left in his place were his scent that clung to the pillows and the wrinkled bedsheets.

I furrowed my brow, glancing at the clock on the bedside table. It was a little past seven o'clock and the sun was setting behind the clouds, leaving the room in darkness. It was do much colder without Derek's arms wrapped around me and I wondered where he had gone. 

I could hear voices faintly from downstairs and I tried to tune out the sound of the ceiling fan as I listened. I couldn't make out the words they were saying or differentiate between the two voices, but I could tell they were speaking in serious tones. I untangled my legs from the covers Nd crawled out of the bed, slowly moving toward the closed door. I listened carefully, pressing my ear to the door as I tried to make out their words. One of them yelled quite suddenly and, startled, I jumped back with my hand over my racing heart. 

They were both shouting now and as I opened the door and moved down the hall, I could finally recognize the second voice. I stopped dead in my tracks and my blood went cold, as if my heart was pumping ice through my veins. I listened to the insults being thrown back and forth between the two of them as I continued moving down the hall. My heart was beating harder and faster with every hateful word that they spat at each other. I wasn't even hearing the things they were saying anymore because my heart was pounding so loudly in my ears. I could only see their faces as I started down the stairs. 

"Oh yeah? Well, she definitely wasn't complaining when she let me fuck her a few weeks ago." 

And just like that, for an entire minute, my heart stopped beating and my feet stopped moving and my lungs stopped taking in or letting out any air. I shrieked, a strangled sort of cry, out of shock or surprise or whatever I was feeling right now. Two sets of eyes landed on me right then and I paled, looking back and forth between them, my jaw hanging agape and my eyes the size of saucers. 

I guess this is karma, huh?
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh my gooooooodness! She's gotten herself into quite the pickle, eh? What are you all thinking? I simply must know! If you could find it in your hearts to comment, I would be ever so grateful!

Side note: let's be friends! Follow me on twitter, guys! I tweet about men and food and a lot of other weird stuff. You need to follow a person like me. It'll make you feel better about your life! www.twitter.com/stfudanielle

Just don't tweet me publicly about my stories. I'm very shy about them! Haha.