Status: i'll update when i can.

Everybody Needs Somebody

one.

Hayley Rose Hepburn was never an ordinary girl. She volunteered in the old folks home, worked as a cleaner in the hospital, and she dyed her naturally brown hair purple and blue. Who worked with those old fogeys and liked it? Who cleaned as a job? Everyone else worked in clothes shops or in hairdressers, but not Hayley. She wasn't just different, she was weird. Everyone knew it.
Especially Will Matthews, who had lived next to Hayley for his whole life. He knew more than anyone about the weird music she played, the weird clothes she wore, her whole weird family. Will had never spoken to Hayley, but his mother still ordered him to go round with a plate of her best cookies one Tuesday.
"Why?" He whined, watching MaryBeth Matthews pile the chocolate chip cookies that smelled so good onto their best plate.
"Listen to your mother, son," was his father Paul's contribution.
MaryBeth sighed, wiping her hands on the cat tea towel on the worktop before turning to her son.
"Hayley's parents died in a car crash yesterday," she whispered, as if the girl would hear through their walls. "Her brother is in intensive care, but it doesn't look good at all for the little guy. Just go round," she told him, kissing his forehead and hugging him tightly. She smiled at him and pushed the plate towards him.
"Fine," Will agreed, biting his lip. He and Hayley were both sixteen, and he couldn't remember having an actual conversation with her, even though they grew up next door to each other.
"Dinner's in ten, so hurry up," his mother called before he shut the front door.
Will was nervous-what did he say? He barely knew Hayley's surname, how was he meant to console her when her parents were dead and her brother was going the same way? His stomach knotted as he rapped on the white painted door three times. A few seconds and a loud crash later, the door opened to reveal Hayley, her bright hair tied back in a messy bun, struggling to tie up her bootlace.
"H-hello," Will greeted, offering the plate of cookies.
"Hey," Hayley grinned, tying the lace on her boot and standing up. "For me?" She asked, pointing to the warm, fresh cookies. Why did she get the cookies, again? His mum never baked him any cookies, Will thought resentfully. But then, his mum was still alive, Hayley's wasn't - Will felt guilty again.
"Sure," he smiled, and Hayley took the plate.
"What for?" She asked, inviting him in and shutting the door. She put the plate on the wooden coffee table in her living room and looked up to him.
"Thirsty?" She asked.
"No, thanks," Will refused. "Uh, my mum heard about...you know. So, she made you cookies."
"Oh, okay. Can you thank her for me?"
"Sure thing."
Hayley smiled.
"Is that all?" She asked, after a awkward pause. "No offence, but I have to get to work..."
"Oh, sure, sure," Will smiled, grateful for a reason to get out-the coffee table was filled with frames and albums of family pictures. Pictures of her dead and to-be-dead family stared at Will, telling him to get the hell out of their house, who did he think he was?
He could picture Hayley crying there, looking through the albums...
"Bye, then," he smiled and hurried over to his own home.
♠ ♠ ♠
i like this story, but updates wont be all that regular. comment, subscribe anyways? <3