Status: i'll update when i can.

Everybody Needs Somebody

six.

She shook her head and closed her rose-print curtains.
Will finished getting dressed, then looked around his room for something to throw at her window to get her attention. A pen? No, he needed that for school. His ball of Blu-Tack? No, that was useful. His towel? Will laughed. He found a broken pen in the bottom of his school bag and threw it hard. It clattered against the glass of Hayley's window and fell to the grass below.
What if she was in the bathroom and didn't hear it? Nice job, Will, he thought. You could have used that pen bit to flick paper balls with Andy tomorrow.
But the curtains fluttered, then drew apart.
"What?" Hayley asked, pushing the window up and leaning out. Will did the same.
"Are you alright?" Will asked. He was genuinely concerned. If he had lost his family, he certainly wouldn't be alright. Hayley looked stumped.
"No. Not really, no," she admitted. Will nodded.
"Wanna come over?" He offered, shrugging, though he knew he couldn't do much to soothe her. But a friend was a friend, nonetheless, right? Everybody needed a friend, whether they were weird or not.
Hayley just nodded. She held up a finger and slipped on some shoes. She stood on her windowsill, grabbed a branch of the tree and swung over. Will reached out to grab her, and her hair bobble got caught on a branch, letting her hair move in the wind.
"Hello," she smiled, letting him grab her by the waist to secure her.
“Hi,” he grinned as she sat down on the end of his bed.
“So, how are you?” Will asked, slinging his arm casually around Hayley’s hunched shoulders, brushing a piece of blue hair away. This seemed what a friend would do. Consoling. Gentle.
“I don’t know,” Hayley admitted, shrugging. She leaned onto Will’s chest, and groaned. “It’s just weird. I can’t go and see Zach, I can’t arrange the funeral, I can’t...do anything. I feel...kind of useless. I don’t even know if I want to arrange anything,” she added in a whisper.
Will sighed. He really was no comfort to her.
“You aren’t useless. Promise.”
Will offered his little finger of his left hand. Hayley locked it with her own and allowed Will to shake it, laughing a little.
“Thanks,” she smiled weakly, their fingers still locked.