Status: In Progress...

When I Look At You

Chapter 18: A Day at the Beach

*Steph’s POV*
I listened intently as Addy told me how she had listened to Logan and allowed him to take her heart again. “And then he kissed me…” she trailed off, finishing the story. I smiled at her. “That was really sweet Addy; so he stayed with you last night?” I asked. She blushed and nodded. I smiled to myself, knowing that my suspicions were correct and happy that my best friends were finally happy.

“So are you official?” I asked her as she picked up a pearly white and pink seashell from the sand. She looked up and simply shook her head. “He hasn’t asked me to be his girlfriend, but he does want to take me out on the pier tonight for dinner, just the two of us while the rest of you are on the boardwalk.” She replied. I smiled, knowing exactly what Logan was planning. “Well I’m sure you’re going to have a great time. I’m happy for you guys; Logan hasn’t smiled this much since…” I trailed off, not wanting to tell the story of how Logan had lost the girl he loved. “Since what?” Addy asked. I sighed knowing that I had said too much. “I might as well tell you. He hasn’t smiled this much since before Rachel was killed.” I answered. Addy looked at me, the deepest concern in her eyes. “What happened to her?” my new friend asked me. I sighed.

“Might as well tell you, because I don’t think you’ll find out otherwise.” I sighed. Addy looked confused by my words. “Logan doesn’t like talking about her; he lost her in one of the worst ways you could lose someone you love. That’s why you probably won’t hear it from Logan himself.” I added. Addy nodded in understanding and we sat at the spot we had found far out of sight from the group. “So it was last May; it was raining and Rachel was on her way to the house for one our rainy day movie nights and sleepovers. It wasn’t raining that hard but she never made it to the house; we figured something had come up and she had just forgotten to call. Logan, the worrier he is, kept calling and texting her but eventually he calmed down enough to watch the movie while watching the door every five minutes. After a while, he couldn’t contain his worry anymore and he went looking for her. We told him to stay put, but he’s really stubborn.” I said, Addy was listening intently and we had sat down in the sand on the water’s edge.

“He went looking for her and had walked down a couple of blocks when he saw a commotion about a block away from where Rachel lived with her parents. There were police cars and two ambulances, along with two cars; one of them was overturned. As he got closer, he saw that the overturned car was Rachel’s. He ran over to where the caution tape was, and told an officer that his girlfriend’s car was the one that was overturned.” I softly say, as a tear falls down my face. Addy frowned. “Oh my god, he was too late?” she said, her voice saddened and soft. Ignoring her question, I kept going. “The officer pointed to an ambulance that had two EMT’s carrying her body to the truck. Logan rushed over and she was still breathing, but barely. He grabbed her hand and she looked at him simply saying ‘I love you.’ After she said that, she slipped away. Logan, who had been in tears since seeing her car overturned, lost it. He tried to revive her himself, but after ten minutes the EMT’s called it. They couldn’t save her; her injuries had been too traumatic. One of the officers on the scene had to call Zach to get Logan from the scene. I don’t think I have ever seen any guy cry as much as Logan did on that day.” I finished.

I looked at Addy and saw that she had a tear rolling down her face, not saying a word. “When Zach told us what had happened, none of us could believe it. It crushed us all, but it broke Logan almost completely. At her funeral he could barely function and after that, he walked around like a zombie. He didn’t smile, didn’t laugh; he didn’t even sing. We were all starting to get worried, but then when Zach and Melissa announced their engagement he started becoming the old Logan again. We saw more of the ‘old’ Logan once you came along, and he seems to have come back. He’s happy again, completely happy. You’re a good thing for him Addy.” I added, wiping the tears from my eyes. She turned to look at me and the tears in her eyes made them a clear blue. “I can’t believe he had to endure that. I feel so guilty now for acting the way I did towards him.” She said softly. I gave her a small smile.

“Addy, that wasn’t your fault. Jennifer Waterson is a bitter little brat who goes crazy when she can’t get what she wants, and will do anything to make sure no one else can have it either. In this case, she wants Logan and has wanted him since before Rachel died. Which is why I think she had something to do with Rachel’s death. The police told us that someone messed with her brakes, but without evidence the case went cold.” I responded. Addy looked up, horrified. “You don’t think she would really do that do you?” she asked, terrified. I shrugged. “I wouldn’t put it past her; but don’t worry, when you and Logan do become official we will all make sure nothing happens.” I answer her with a smile, leaning over to hug her. “You make Logan really happy and I don’t want to see him hurt again; and I don’t want to see you hurt either. He’ll take good care of you.” I tell her. She laughs and we stand, turning around and walking back towards the others just in time to see Logan looking everywhere for Addy.

He doesn’t notice us walking behind him and we stifle our laughs as we watch him look frantically. “Where did she go?” he asked, sounding like a five year old. Melissa laughed. “She just went for a walk with Steph. They’ll be back soon.” We hear Cassie reply. Addy taps my shoulder, giving me a ‘be quiet’ signal and then giving one to the girls before running towards him and jumping on his back. He fell forward in the sand with a slight ‘oof’ as Addy sat on his back, giggling. She got off of him so that he could get up. He stood in front of her, a smirk on his face. “Addy, I would run if I were you.” Greg suggested as he looked from his brother to Addy. Addy looked confused. “Why?” she asked. Before anyone could reply, Logan lifted her over his shoulder and began running towards the water as she begged him to put her down.

*Logan’s POV*
I came back up from the water to see that Addy and Stephanie were no longer with the other girls. The girls laughed, as I looked frantically up and down the beach for Addy. “Logan, calm down. She didn’t runaway or disappear.” Bells said to me. I looked at them and they laughed. “Where did she go?” I asked. Melissa laughed, at what I don’t know. “She just went for a walk with Steph. They’ll be back soon.” Cassie replied. I just stood there and the girls started laughing. I suddenly felt something on my back and fell face forward into the sand on impact. “Oof!” I heard myself say and I heard the sweet sound of my Addison’s giggle. After a second, I felt her move off of my back allowing me to stand up and face her, a smirk on my face knowing exactly how I was going to get my ‘revenge’.

“Addy, I would run if I were you.” Greg suggested, knowing what I was about to do as he looked from me to the beautiful girl staring back at me. She wrinkled her nose at him, she looks adorable when she’s confused. “Why?” she asked him in reply, oh if only she knew what was coming. Before anyone could answer her, I had already lifted her over my shoulder and began running towards the water. “Logan!!!! Put me down please!!!” she shouted as she laughed, lightly punching my back. I smirked as we reached the water before carefully throwing her in, making sure the water wasn’t too shallow. The last thing I wanted to do was hurt her. I smiled down at her as she came up from the water.

“Hello Beautiful.” I said with an innocent smile. “Logan James Spencer I am going to kill you!” she said before I took off running, laughing as she chased me. “Oh Addison Rose, why would you want to do that?” I asked, laughing as she began to catch up. Before I knew it, she was right behind me and had once again, jumped on my back, causing me to fall.

Once I hit the sand, she rolled off my back and I rolled over so that I was hovering over her. Her hair spread out on the sand and her blue-green eyes staring back up at me. She smiled as I looked down at her. “You’re beautiful, you know that?” I said softly, making her blush. I kissed her forehead before standing, offering my hand to her as I helped her off the ground. “Let’s clean the sand off of ourselves before going back to the others.” She suggested, taking off to the water to get the sand off her body. I followed her lead and once we were done, I took her hand in mine, leading her back to our spot where everyone was smiling at us.

“You guys are too cute.” The girls said simultaneously, causing both Addy and I to blush. The rest of the afternoon was spent playing beach volleyball, making sandcastles, and playing numerous games of chicken in the water. Before we knew it, it was nearly dinnertime and it was time for me to get ready for my date with Addy.

We walked back to the house, hand in hand. I walked her to her room. “Be ready in an hour.” I whispered to her, kissing her cheek before I went to my own room. Tonight was going to be perfect.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so sorry for neglecting this story! Life has been pretty chaotic since I last updated but i PROMISE that I will be updating this story more often. Comment and let me know what you thing.

Peace & Love
Ashley :)