Status: In Progress...

When I Look At You

Chapter 6: When You Look Me in the Eyes

*Addy’s POV*
After Josh made his little announcement, he looked to Stephanie as if he was waiting for her to say something. I looked at her and saw the sadness in her eyes. “Oh, that’s great. Uhm, can you just excuse me for a minute?” she asked before running from the room and upstairs. Josh sighed and turning to Rebecca. “Come on Becca, I want you to meet the guys.” He said, bringing her outside to where Logan was with Ryan, Greg, and Zach. “Should one of us go check on her?” I asked softly. Cassie looked up. “She just needs to take five minutes by herself. But you can if you want.” She said sweetly. I nodded and made my way upstairs. I saw that the bathroom door was closed. I knocked softly. “Steph?” I asked. “Come in.” I heard her voice say quietly. I opened the door and saw she was sitting on the toilet seat, her face in her hands. “Steph? Are you okay?” I asked softly as I sat beside her. She looked up at me and I saw the tears running down her face.

“Why can’t he see that I’ve been in love with him this whole time? He always introduces us to girls like Rebecca. Then they end up breaking up and who has to pick up all the pieces? It breaks my heart to see him hurting but sometimes I wish I wasn’t the best friend, the go-to girl, the one on the sidelines. I want to be the one he holds, the one he whispers sweet nothings to in my ear, the one who he’d give his heart too and trust her with it. I know I’d never break his heart, but he just can’t see it.” She said as she cried. I took her hands in mine. “Steph, I’m sure he loves you back. But maybe he’s just having a hard time seeing it. However, he will realize how he feels and he will see how much you truly care. Now wipe your tears up and let’s go have some fun okay? Don’t let that fake blonde ruin your night.” I replied. She smiled and wiped her face. “Thank you Addy. You know, I know we only met a little while ago, but I can just tell that you are gonna be one of the best friends I have ever had.” She said. I smiled and hugged her. “It’s no problem Steph, that’s what friends are for. And I like the sound of that. Now let’s get back downstairs!” I said to her and we went back downstairs.

The rest of the night went without incident, but I could tell that Steph was still upset having to watch Josh and Rebecca act all lovey-dovey. Everyone noticed; quite frankly, it was quite unpleasant. I mean, the other couples at the table seemed to be able to control their hormones and emotions but Rebecca pounced Josh as though he were a piece of meat. It was quite disturbing. After we all had eaten, Zach and Logan started up the bonfire. We sat in this order; Mel & Zach, Cassie & Greg, Rebecca & Josh, Bella & Ryan, Steph, Me, and Logan next to Mel. It got a little chilly and I shivered. Logan noticed and put his sweatshirt around my shoulders. I smiled at him. “Thank you.” I whispered. He smiled. “No problem.” He replied. “How about you play us some tunes Greg?” Ryan suggested as Bella sat between his legs. Greg smiled and nodded before sliding his arm from around Cassie’s waist to pull an acoustic guitar out from behind him. “Zach, can you play?” he asked his oldest brother. Zach nodded and took the acoustic. “LJ, sing please?” he added. Logan nodded and Zach began playing.

Greg turned towards Cassie and Logan looked at me as they began singing. “If the heart is always searching, can you ever find a home.” Logan sang, his voice like an angel. Greg touched Cassie’s face lovingly as he sang next. “I’ve been looking for that someone, I’ll never make it on my own.” Then I looked back to Logan. “Dreams can’t take the place of loving you.” He sang with a smile. I blushed and looked down. There is no way I could be falling for him, is there? ”There’s gotta be a million reasons why it’s true.” Greg sang to Cassie as he took her hand in his own. Then I felt Logan lift my chin up and saw that Greg was doing the same to Cassie. “When you look me in the eyes, and tell me that you love me; everything’s alright, when you’re right here by my side. When you look me in the eyes, I catch a glimpse of heaven; I find my paradise. When you look me in the eyes.” They both sang. Logan’s eyes never left mine but I needed to break it. He looked into my eyes and I felt butterflies in my stomach. No! I can’t be falling for him, I barely know him. Besides he’d just break my heart anyway, just like that jerk, Eric did. I stood up abruptly, taking my hand from Logan’s as his sweatshirt fell to the ground. “I-I’m sorry, I have to go.” I say before running down the beach, leaving everyone speechless, as the tears ran down my face.

*Logan’s POV*
I watched as she ran away from me, my heart slowly breaking. I haven’t felt this way about a girl in a long time, not since Rachel. I looked to Melissa and everyone else and they all just looked at me. “Logan, go after her! It’s obvious there’s something wrong.” Steph said. I nodded and grabbed my sweatshirt from the ground, knowing Addy would be cold without it. Then I took off, running in the direction she had gone on the beach. I don’t know why I felt this way; it’s barely been a day and I’m already falling for her. I looked up at the sky and silently asked Rach, is this a sign?? I knew I’d get no answer, but it was worth a shot. I sighed and continued running. I stopped when I saw her sitting by the water, her knees pulled up to her chest. I saw her shoulder’s shaking and knew she was crying. I felt my heart begin to ache, and wanted to just take her into my arms and comfort her. I slowly walked over and sat beside her, placing the sweater around her shoulders. She looked up at me and I saw the tears leaving her beautiful eyes. I gave a small smile and pulled her into my arms, comforting her as she continued crying. “Did I do something wrong?” I asked her. She shook her head in my chest. “Then what is it?” I asked softly. She looked up and I wiped her face. “You can tell me, I’m not gonna judge you.” I added. She sighed and began her story.