Status: In Progress...

When I Look At You

Chapter 7: Humming, Fighting, and Darkness

*Addy’s POV*
I sighed softly and he rubbed my back gently, soothing my nerves. “I’m sorry Logan, but I don’t think I’m ready to share this story just yet.” I said to him. He looked me in the eyes and nodded. “It’s okay, I understand. But whenever you’re ready to talk about it, I’ll be here to listen. I promise.” He replied. I gave him a small smile and he hugged me tight. I smiled and practically melted in his arms. I could tell by the way he was treating me that he was nothing like Eric and I knew that he wouldn’t hurt me. But was I falling in love too quickly? I had only met him today and already he’s got my stomach flipping and my heart racing. Soon, he just pulled me against his chest and I listened to his steady, rhythmic heartbeat as he hummed to me a song that seemed so familiar. My eyes slowly closed as Logan hummed and the waves crashed to the shore.

*Logan’s POV*
I looked down and saw that Addy had fallen asleep. I smiled and stood, lifting her up in my arms bridal style and walking back to the house. Everyone was still sitting around the bonfire. Melissa winked when she saw her cousin in my arms, but everyone else just smiled. I rolled my eyes and brought her up to her room. I lay her on the bed and tucked her beneath the covers, making sure she was comfortable. Before I walked out of the room, I looked down at her, and she looked beautiful with her long hair laid out over the pillow. I leaned down and gently placed my lips on her forehead, kissing her. “Goodnight my angel.” I whispered to her before I walked out of the room and shut the door quietly.

One Week Later
*Addy’s POV*

It’s been a week since I arrived here in South Carolina and I’m already beginning to forget about what Eric and Kayla had done. Melissa and her friends have all been such a great help to me, especially Logan. He always makes sure that I’m smiling and if I’m not, then he decides he needs to do something about it. I also love hanging out with the girls; Cassie, Steph, and Bella are all so welcoming. We went to the beach the day after the bonfire last week and they made sure to include me in everything, even though they didn’t have too. However, we were all becoming worried about Stephanie; aside from Mel and Logan, I was probably closest to her. It’s been a week since we all found out about and met Josh’s girlfriend Rebecca. So far, none of us liked her; Steph especially. We had invited Rebecca to hang out with us, try to make her feel welcome I guess into the group like they had done with me. However, Rebecca was whiney, rude, and just outright nasty. She took every chance she got to make Steph feel bad about herself. Today, we were having a girl’s day at the mall but first everyone would be meeting up here. So far, everyone was here except for Stephanie.

“So what color are your bridesmaid’s dresses Mel?” I asked, curious since we’d be trying the dresses on today. She smiled. “Navy blue.” My cousin replied just as the door slammed open, before slamming shut and Stephanie came into the room, an angry look on her face. “Woah Steph, are you okay?” Cassie asked. Steph looked at us and looked down, embarrassed. “I’m sorry guys. I’m fine.” She said. I looked at her, not believing her for a minute. “Steph, what happened?” I asked. “That brat Rebecca. I called her, just like you guys suggested, just to be nice because she’s my best friend/love of my life’s girlfriend. She answers and I ask if she wants to come with.” She started. “Okay, then what?” Bells asked. “She laughed and said ‘No, as much as I’d like to come and make you miserable, I don’t want to see your face today. Oh and stay away from Josh, he’s mine now and you can never have him.’” She finished, putting her face in her hands. I went and sat by her, hugging her around her shoulders. “It’s gonna be okay.” I whispered to her. She looked up and smiled at me. “Thanks Addy.” She replied. I hugged her and just then, Josh walked in looking very angry.

“Hey JD, what’s up?” Bella asked. He ignored her and walked towards me and Stephanie. “Why did you say that to her?” he demanded, not even acknowledging me. “Say what to who?” Steph asked, confused. “Oh you know very well what and who! My girlfriend, Rebecca; why did you say that to her?” he demanded again. She began to get upset. “Say what Josh!” she shouted. I moved away to where Mel was sitting. “You told her that she should go back to where she belonged, that no one liked her. She called me crying!” he shouted back. “And you believed her? Josh, you know that I would NEVER say that to anyone.” She said to him softly. His gaze softened for just a moment but then he was glaring at her again. “Of course I believed her, she’s my girlfriend.” He replied. “And what am I Josh? I’m your BEST FRIEND! You’ve known me your whole life!” she said, tears beginning to pool in her brown eyes. “Do I know you Steph?” he asked. Her lip quivered but then stopped and she stood, her face in his. “You know Josh, I thought you were better than that. I guess I was wrong. And to think that I love you even after you say these things to me.” She said before running out of the house.

We heard a car door slam and then an engine speed down the road. “Smooth move Josh.” Cassie says and Josh looks down.

*Steph’s POV*
I drove as fast as I could away from the house. Away from him. The tears poured down my face and I felt like I could barely breathe. I hear horns honking but my vision is blurry. I hear the screeching of tires and breaking of glass. Then, my world went black…