The Bitter Sweetness of Sunny Days

2/2 Not Coping

I was woken by two things, the too bright sun beaning in from the window and shouting.

"Get up now, you're going to be late for school." Aunt Eve shouted. There was only 3 weeks left of school before the summer holidays. I personally didn't see the point of starting at the school until after the summer but Aunt Eve said she wouldn't tolerate me moping about at 'home'. Not that I want to be anyway near her house. Aunt Eve spent all her days cleaning and chasing her children out of the house, where my Uncle Todd spent the whole of his free time in the 'study' watching sports and was only ever seen at dinner which Aunt Eve made us all attend no matter what.

"I'm not coming,' I shouted back at her. I could hear her mumbling to Tara to go and get me. Tara swore loudly at her mother and then slammed what must of been the font door.

'Steve, go give your sister her lunch,' Aunt Eve shouted once more, was it really that hard for her to come into the same rooms as us. I could hear Steve running down the stairs, if had been anyone but his mother he would swore back at them and slammed his door but he was smarter than his sister. He knew you had to keep the puller of the money and freedom strings happy. I heard the front door open and shut once more. The sound of water running coming from the bathroom stopped and it's door opened.

"Ruby, get..."Aunt Eve shouted again

"Yeah, Yeah, I'll get her." Ruby shouted back. Ruby was the rebel of the family and the only one that treat me as family of any sort. She was different from the rest and almost looked as though she had been switched at birth. The rest of her sibling and parents had brown eyes and blonde locks where she had took after my side of family with her blue eyes and light brown hair. It was obvious we were related. Ruby had also been the one my father had been god father to.

"You know, you can't win. She'll get you to that school building one way or another." She said as she came into the room wearing a towel and her hair hung still wet from her morning shower.

"I know, I'm just not ready," She nodded in understanding. She was the most understanding out of them all. She had given up her room for me. She had been putted into Tara's room which had made more problems than it solved. I sort of felt guilty for that one.

"I would go tell her that but we both know she wouldn't know what I meant by it." She briefly smile at me and turn her back to me as she got her clothes from the cupboard.

"Is she up yet?" the noise from downstairs continued to scream. It had been ten minutes and hadn't even put my foot on the floor. Ruby was already dress and about to set off for school.

"You're only pissing her off, if you hurry I could walk you to school and we're both be on time." I sighed.

"You go on without me, I probably end up there but I have to do something first." She nodded and walked down stairs.

"SHE NOT FUCKING READY, YOU BITCH!" I knew for a fact Ruby had shouted that in the same room as Aunt Eve. I laughed when I heard the front door being slammed once again before Aunt Eve could reply. Ruby had real underline issues with her mum. She had add my cause to serial of her own. She would do anything to piss off her mum but knew when to stop. I didn't.

"YOU GET DOWN HERE NOW!" Aunt Eve shouted, taking her angry out on me.

"Or what?" I shouted back, still not moving. I could hear her stamping to the bottom of the stairs.

"IF YOU DON'T COME DOWN HERE NOW, I'M...I'm banning you from the phone," That tactic would work on Tara without a doubt. However, it wouldn't of work on me if it wasn't for one thing. My sister. The phone was the only form of contract I had with Caroline. She didn't have email, she was too young. It was the only way I could stay in her life. I jumped out from the bed and matched to the top of the stairs. I could see Aunt Eve down, her face was red with angry but didn't put me off.

"You're a cold Hearted Bitch,"I said calmly. "My parents have been dead for less than a week and you want me to go to school. A FUCKING new school," The tears of angry were starting to spill out and my voice was breaking at points. "Well, YOU CAN GO FUCK YOURSELF!" I stormed back to Ruby's room and slammed the door. I could hear her shouted pointless threats but none of them could effect me now. I went back to sleep.

I was woken by a bucket of cold water being thrown over me. Tara stood over me smirking.

"It time you're woke up, Miss Orphan," Tara laugh then walked out he room. This had been the second time she had done that and she called me Orphan all the time, even in front of her mum. She took after her mum. She was a compete bitch, a spoiled one at that. She was also a slut, she wore clothes that left nothing to the imagination and made it clear whether she was wearing knickers or not.

"Nice tits," Steve perverted friend Craig said from the doorway.

"Fuck off,"

"Can't take a compliment."

"Come on Craig, the Stewart twins are waiting for us." Steve stuck his head in the door, "You're missed all the fun, Sonny. The girls were forced to go running in their swimming suits today." and was gone in with the same breath. Steve was just as bad as Craig and Tara combined. He was the golden boy in the eyes of his mother but hated by everyone else that knew him. He was probably lying about the whole swim suit thing. Craig was still in the doorway.

"Don't you have a date?"

"Double"

"Well, get lost." He finally left with Steve shouting him again.

As the school holidays arrive with me never having went to school, the sting of my lost was still so strong. It hadn't weaken at all. I had start to spend time outside of Ruby's room by choice. I had even left the house. Ruby convince me to come with her to a friend's party. I thought it would be good for me to spend time away from Aunt Eve's presents. The party was like any other party except I only knew one person and I was just not in the mood. I didn't have a good time but I didn't have a bad time either. It alright experience but I didn't see myself doing it again.

I found my self walking about in the woods, only with my music player for comfort. The same music player which had survived the clash with me. It had only been saved because it had been deep in my jean pocket. Tara and Steve still went out their way to annoy me showing no sympathy.
I had decided on what I want to do but it all depended on what Aunt Ruth said.

I would be 16 in 3 months, most of my friends already were. I knew I couldn't cope living with Aunt Eve for much longer. I would go and visit Caroline and just not come back. I was almost an adult by law, I didn't need permission. I wish I had realise sooner but I had completely forgot about my birthday. I would live with Aunt Ruth and go back to my school. Taking the class I had already choose before my parents died.

***

I was going. Aunt Ruth said yes and was even working it out with the school for me. She said she knew it was a bad idea to send me to stay with Aunt Eve but didn't have the energy to fight about it. I would be going back home in 2 weeks. I could cope till then. Aunt Eve and Uncle Todd were going away to visit Todd's mother or something and were leaving Steve in charge. It didn't take a genius to see what was going to happen. Steve had started hiding booze in the attic within an hour of finding out. This would be good.

The party started as soon as the car pulled out of the drive. Too loud music disturbed the neighbors who still hadn't called the police. There was underage drinking and drugs were being taken. Some were illegal and others were just too new to be. I saw Tara smoking something and Steve was as high as a kite.

"God, Sonny. You have to try this stuff." Ruby shouted in my ear. "Don't worry it legal." She said as she shoved pills in my hand.

I had never taken drugs and would never would of before but my parents weren't around not to be proud of me anymore. I swallow them without a second thought. I didn't ask her what it was. It felt nice and made me feel so numb until my head started to hurt. I tried to find Ruby but I couldn't get through the crowd. My head just kept getting worse. My shouts went unheard over the music. I had to sit down, my heart beat was blaring in my ears. I manage to get to the window seat in the living room. My eye sight was beginning to go bury. It was all starting faded, the noise, the world. I just couldn't hold on anymore.
♠ ♠ ♠
THE END

Edited since pubishing.