Status: In process of being edited and revised.

The Blue Gene

oo2

It was incredibly scary, how all the kids stared at me from across the road as if I just killed their mother or something. They all wore black uniforms—the girls in their blazers and skirts and the boys in their ties and long dress pants. They, as well, looked astonishingly beautiful; perfect creatures…why the hell were they staring at me?

“You’re still here? My god, Dutchess, its raining now!”

I didn’t notice the rain, and I didn’t notice Jester grabbing my hand and pulling me away. I seemed to have been lost in the gaze of the people across from me. Their angry gazes, those haunting deep blue eyes, still burning into my mind. The eyes were what scared me the most.

“Have you gone on the borderline of stupidity? I leave you for a minute and you act as though you wouldn’t even notice if the world was ending.”

“Did you see them, Jester?” My voice sounded fast and frantic more than I anticipated. It was lightly drowned out over the loud howling of the wind blowing with the rain.

Day had seemed to cease and night’s early darkness was near. I looked behind my shoulder, trying to make out the location Jester hurriedly dragged me to. Just around the corner to a small store we took shelter under. I looked to see if the people had followed and then Jester grabbed me.

“Did I see what? What the hell’s wrong with you, Dutchess, you’re scaring me.”
“You didn’t see them just now?”
“Who? What did you see?”
“…Nothing. I must have been…imagining it.”

At that moment Jester frowned and smacked me in the head. “You crazy loon. Had me worried for no reason. Let’s go.”

Making sure I wouldn’t run off or walk too slow or maybe even do anything crazy, Jester grabbed my hand, and began walking me home. I looked over my shoulder once more, still not satisfied with the quick turn of things. Just when I was about to turn back to my normal life, I spot one of the teens, a girl in black pig tails, peeking from the rooftop of the store Jester and I were just at.