Status: Written for a contest. :)

The Silence Will Set Her Free

One out of One

“We can’t be together Ash,” he whispered, chewing on his bottom lip. He moved his hand, curling loose hairs behind my ears.

“Why not? I’m nothing without my Zacky V,” I sounded like a child, blubbering about losing a toy. He was my heart.. I wasn’t ready to lose him.

“Don’t you realize? Your parents hate me..”

“Why does that matter? We love each other. How can that be wrong?”

“I want to get married baby. Your parents will never let us be together,” he took my hand, kissing my fingertips.

“We can go to Vegas.. it’s not exactly foolproof, but we can make it work.”

“It doesn’t work that way. Vegas won’t solve any of our problems..”

“How am I supposed to be Juliet when you won’t be my Romeo?”

A faint smile traced his lips, being replaced by a slight frown.

“I love you, and I always will. If you loved me, as much as I love you.. you’ll understand and let me go.”

~*~

I sat down on my bed, staring out my open window, begging the wind to take me away. The cool breeze nipped along the length of my spine, exchanging with the immediate feeling of hot breath on my neck. It was like he was there, behind me, with his hands on my hips, and his lips near my ear.

I love you..

I shut my eyes, falling backwards onto the mattress, hoping loving arms would capture me on the way down. The silk comforter wrapped around me, causing me to heave with sobs.
I listened closely for him, wishing he were next to me. That my lips were against his, transferring heat.

I rolled on my stomach, burying my head into the pillow, crying and screaming as loud as I could.

Romeo, where for art thou?

I shifted back, opening my eyes to a starry sky. When I sat up, I was stopped. Zack was hovering above me, straddling my waist. His fingers were loosely wrapped around my wrists. It was impossible to believe.

“Baby, don’t cry. Y’know when you cry it hurts me.”

His lips were soft when they touched mine, and my eyes swelled with tears.

“I’m always in your heart. Don’t ever forget that.”

“Zack, come back. We can be together. I’m dying on the inside, knowing that I’m falling asleep without you beside me. That I haven’t felt your touch in—“

His lips crashed into mine again, the metal in his bottom lip cracking against my teeth.

“It’s fine darling. I’m still in love with you, even though we’re not together.”

“Will you come visit me again?”

“I’m constantly with you. Honey, I’m always with you. Don’t cry anymore, promise?”

“I swear,” I leaned up to punctuate the answer with a short kiss..


My eyelids fluttered as I suddenly felt a chill rune along my skin, raising goosebumps. The sun was dipping into the rooftops, painting the sky many colors of pink, violet, and blue as the darkness slowly crept, littering the veil, piercing dots against the curtain of shadows.

Tears followed previous tracks, falling onto my shirt.

”You promised not to cry..”

It felt like getting my teeth ripped out. A thousand pounds of loneliness dropping on my chest, over and over again. My lungs contracted, but didn’t expand. The weight of the heartbreak leveled along my ribs. My lips were chapped, and my cheeks were covered in salt, as though my tear ducts had been punctured.

The lump in my throat was ever-growing, and ever y breath was dry and scratchy as it neared my windpipe.

The room was empty, everything gone and bleak. Nothing but white, and the ambience of my heart, what was left of it, pulsating away in my chest, resonating a sound in my inner ear.

~*~

“Don’t you like me?” I asked him, hoping for my best friend’s response to be a yes.

“No, I don’t.”

The impending answer. My heart dropped into my stomach.

“So, if I walked away now, you wouldn’t care.”

“No.”

I ripped the necklace from around my neck that he had given me for my fifteenth birthday, letting the angel slink off the chain as it hit the floor in front of his shoes. I readjusted the books in my arms, turning away from him so he couldn’t win. So he couldn’t see me shake, and so he wouldn’t see me cry.

“Ash, please don’t go. You never let me finish my—“ his words trailed off, not that I cared.

I continued to ignore him as I stalked down the hall, tripping on my own feet, sending my books flying everywhere possible. I settled against the locker that has scraped my hand on the way down, wiping away the minimal blood settling on my skin. When I glanced up, Zack was standing there, studying me carefully.

“You know I hate when you cry.”

“This is your fault. You made me cry..”

“Sweetie, if you had just let me finish what I was going to say..”

“You had nothing else to say! You made it very cle-“

I was cut off by his lips covering mine, causing my eyes to go wide. He cupped my face in his hand, smiling softly.

“You really do talk too much,” he chuckled, holding my injured hand gingerly. He pecked the wound carefully, “Anyway, I was going to tell you that you walking away wouldn’t have happened, because I would have stopped you. And no, I don’t like you. I love you. I’ve been in love with you for as long as I can remember.”

I couldn’t function other than to be in complete shock. He kissed me again, and the butterflies finally ceased in my stomach.

“You might want this back,” he handed me the necklace, smirking happily.

We were perfect.

I was sick of crying myself to sleep night after night. Zack plagued my thoughts more than anything else. Moonlight glided along my covers, making the silk shine.

Empty, maybe that’s how I was meant to feel. Broken, like fractured glass, was my heart. It was silent, the sound of my breathing the only thing accompanying the darkness, but it seemed to comfort me.

Behind the broken heart, the silence wrapped me in warmth like no other. And although I was on lock down, the silence set me free.
♠ ♠ ♠
Way overdue. Hope it's still decent!