Status: Slowly active. Leave comments.

Our Heat Is Gone

Fourteen.

After Max and I had caught up with everything that has happened over the year, it felt so good to have him back as my best friend. I missed him a lot and I was glad to be around his presence once again. For now I don’t know how long that will be, but this was the present and I had my best friend by my side once again. Max had left about ten minutes ago and I was just lying on the couch drifting off to sleep while I waited for the guys to return. I didn’t even hear them bust in until I was whacked with a pillow on my stomach.

I immediately jolted up awake, my heart racing from the surprise, to see David laughing his ass off with a pillow clutched in his hands. Eric just stood by shaking his head, knowing what was to come out of this. He was like the parent while David and I would fight constantly.

“What the fuck?” I yelled looking over at him as I sat up and rubbed the area where he whacked me with. It wasn’t like it was really painful it just ached a little.

“You had to wake up.” David said through his fits of laughter.

“Cameron needs to talk to you.” Eric explained.

“Well, why in the hell couldn’t you just wake me up properly, you ass!” I questioned David giving him a glare. I was actually really moody and wasn’t playing around this time with him. I think he knew that too and he loved to push my buttons. If there was one thing he knew, it was that I hated it when people disturbed me while I was sleeping.

“Because, it’s more amusing for me this way.” He answered with a shrug.

“You’re so stupid.” I replied.

“Oh yeah?”

“Ye-“ I was mid into that word until David whacked me again with that pillow. I stood up immediately and was ready to make him pay. He shoved the pillow at me and started to run towards the back of the bus as I threw the pillow across the room behind me carelessly, probably into Eric, then followed after him. I was cut off short in the bunk area when I ran straight into Cameron’s arms. He held onto me tightly from trying to attack David who was by now probably at the end.

“Cameron, let go of me. I need to kill your bass player!” I said struggling to get out of his grip.

“Just forget him, Lex. You know he does things like that on purpose to piss you off.” He said and then I stopped struggling, regaining my composure. “Okay, we’re good?” He asked. I nodded and turned my attention back to Cameron. “Alright, so how were you during the signing?”

“Pretty good. It felt great to catch up with Max. I missed him actually.” I admitted.

“I’m glad you two got to catch up.”

“Yeah, now I have to face Dan.”

“Who?”

“Max is in a band with my cousin.”

“Really?”

“Yes, he’s their drummer and probably hates my guts.”

“Why would he hate you?”

“I told him that I would go back home, but I obviously did not.”

“Oh, but come on Lex, he’s family. I’m sure he’s not as angry as you think he’d be.”

-xxx-

The next day, I figured it’d be best to try and face Dan. He was my cousin after all and I had to see him. The Downtown Fiction was playing and I left after the first song. I told Cameron that I was going to look for Dan and he hesitated for a moment, but understood then let me go.

Max had notified me that the bus would be clear today except for Dan. He knew that I wouldn’t want to face the other guys too soon and especially Josh, which I was very grateful for. I was checking my cell phone for anymore information from Max and I clearly wasn’t looking where I was going I ended up bumping into somebody, sending me to the rough concrete. Note to self: ‘never try to land on your arms’. Because my palms and elbows were aching and at this point I wasn’t sure if I was bleeding or I just landed in something wet and sticky. Either way I wasn’t going to be too thrilled to find out.

“I am so sorry. I wasn’t paying attention to where I was headin’.” I heard the person I ran into starting to apologize.

I sat up and looked around for my sunglasses that used to be on top of my head. The person crouched down as well and I noticed he had picked up my sunglasses.

“Thanks.” I said and grabbed my sunglasses from him. He stood back up and offered a hand to me for help. I took it and got back on my feet.

“Again, I’m really sorry about knocking you down.” The guy started apologizing once more while I brushed some dirt off of my clothes and rubbed my legs.

“It’s alright, really. No harm done…” I said, but I trailed off as I looked up to see who it was that I had bumped into. “Matt?...crap.” I said to myself more so the last part.

“Lexi, is that you?”

“Um, yeah.” I said sheepishly and started shuffling.

“Holy shit! It’s been a while…oh crap your arm is bleeding!” He noted and I looked at both my arms not noticing where the cut was at until he pulled my arm and turned it gently for me to see. So that was what was wet and sticky. I groaned and stomped my foot. Already, I had caused damage to myself, physically. “Let’s get you cleaned up. Come on.” He said motioning for me to follow him onto the bus. I only nodded and forgot about the whole trying to find Dan business.

Once inside the bus, I noticed how bigger it was compared to Cameron’s and the guys bus. Why? I do not know. Instantly, I had already took notice of the various objects that sprawled and decorated the bus with from the guys things and I would’ve already assumed that this was theirs from the many tours I had once accompanied them on with.

Matt did a good job on cleaning my wound and bandaging it up properly. It stung, but what else did I expect? After he threw away all the garbage he came back and faced me also crossing his arms. I stood there awkwardly, not knowing exactly what to say or do next. Do I leave? Or say sorry for not contacting him for almost about a year? What?

“Aren’t you supposed to be in Arizona in school?” Matt asked suspiciously.

“Supposedly.” I said.

“What is that supposed to mean?” He said using air quotes around the word ‘suppose’ for emphasis. I could already tell by that that he was kind of ticked off and not really excited to see me.

“It means that I dropped out of school and left Arizona.”

“What? Why? How’d that happen?”

“It’s a long story, Matt.”

“I’ve got time.” He insisted, but before I could protest on telling him another day, that is if he did want to see me after today after this incident then maybe. The door bus had opened and in walked the person I was just looking for.

“Lexi?” Dan asked examining me to make sure it was actually me.

“Hi, Dan.” I said smiling weakly and trying to prepare myself for whatever may happen.

“Um, Matt, could you please?” Dan asked.

“Sure, why not?” Matt said and walked off of the bus leaving Dan and I alone. Once he got out Dan suddenly engulfed me into a tight embrace nearly crushing me. I winced as my sensitive arm had pressure applied to it.

“What happened?” Dan asked pulling away from me.

“Nothing, I just fell and Matt helped me. That’s why I’m here and also because I ran into Max yesterday and I realized I had to see you too sooner or later. You’re not mad at me?”

“Lexi, why would I be mad at you?”

“Because I lied and told you I would go back home and clearly I didn’t and am still living here.”

“I know I should be mad, but I’m not. You’re my cousin and I respect your decisions. Even if it meant that you were to stay here. You could’ve at least called.”

“I wanted to, but I was scared.”

“Alright, but what are you doing here in California on Warped? I thought you were studying Arizona.”

“I guess I owe it to you to explain myself.” He only nodded and let me continue. “Dan, I left Arizona a few weeks after grandma died.”

“Where did you end up going?”

“All around the U.S. I went to Texas, I went to Chicago, I went to New York, and then I found myself in Virginia one day. Then I didn’t want to leave.”

“Why not?”

“Um, I met this guy named Cameron.” I started then I went into the whole story of how I had first met Cameron and how this all came to be.


After constant and non-stop traveling around the country, trying to find a place to belong, I found myself in Virginia on a cold winter day. I wasn’t well equipped for the icy weather here. I was so accustomed to the Arizona heat that I hardly had any winter clothes. I didn’t even really think to buy some yet at this time and yet life has a funny way of helping me out because here I was freezing my ass off.

I had been searching all day for a hotel or any place to stay at. I had no such luck. The first night I arrived I slept in my car very uncomfortably. It was cold and it ached my body in the long run. I had decided to give up on the search for now and just relax for a moment. I walked into a nearby Starbucks. I dug into my coat pocket and found about six dollars in my hand, just enough to help me pay for something to drink, hoping to warm me up. After I had ordered and received my coffee, I took a seat on one of the couches near the window.

Bringing my legs up to my chest and holding my drink close to me all in attempt to drop my body temperature, I didn’t notice that I was being stared at. I diverted my eyes up and looked at this boy with shoulder length hair, he had these deep blue eyes, and full lips. He was holding a notebook on his lap with a pen in his right hand.

“Um…” I started awkwardly and brought the cup of coffee down lower away from my face.

“You’re not from here are you?” He asked.

“How could you tell?”

“You’re freezing like mad and no one in the right mind in Virginia would only be wearing a coat that thin at this time of the year.” He stated while also pointed at my coat.

“It doesn’t get this cold in Arizona.” I said.

“I see. I’m Cameron.” He said introducing himself while setting his pen down and stuck his hand out. I politely shook his hand and introduced myself as well.

“I’m Alexia.”

“Nice name.”

“Thank you.”

“So, what brings you here to good ol’ Virginia?”

“I’m just wandering around that’s all. I’ve already been to a couple of states already and I just found myself here one day.”

“How long have you been here?”

“This is my second night.”

“Really? How are you liking it?”

“It’s nice. I haven’t been around much though. I’m not really used to driving in snow…”

“I bet.” He joked and I just laughed at him.

Cameron and I spent the majority of the day talking and getting to know each other for hours. It seemed kind of odd to be telling a complete stranger all these things, but for me I felt like I could just tell him anything. He listened intently and had interesting feedback or great advice. I was starting to enjoy this guy’s company. A lot. I was feeling guilty a bit for finding him really adorable too, but what did I have to lose then right? When we realized we had overstayed our welcome at the coffee shop we stood up to leave.

“Well, I better get going home. It’s getting late.” He declared after stretching his arms which resulted in his shirt rising a bit above his waist. I only nodded as I looked away. “Maybe, I’ll see you around?” He asked. I looked up at him hopeful trying to see if there was any hint of honesty in that suggestion. People always say that after you’ve just met them.

“Um, yeah. Totally. I’ll be…around.” I said nodding once more with a small smile on my face.

“Cool. Well, I hope you end up liking Virginia.” He said lastly walking to the door then smiled and waved goodbye.

I walked over to the garbage to throw away my empty cup and left. Instantly the harsh cold weather hit me and I sighed big shoving my hands into my pockets trying to get warm as I walked to my car. I spent the majority of my day talking to a complete stranger and avoiding looking for some place decent to say. This only meant that I was spending another night in my car.

It had been about three days since I had met Cameron and I was still managing to get by living in my car for those days. I’ve basically been living like a hobo too with washing my hair and face in restrooms. It was embarrassing to just walk in and do that, but I couldn’t afford a place anymore and a good one at that. I was starting to consider leaving Virginia and head out again, but something was holding me back and keeping me here. More like someone. I didn’t get it. I only met him once and he had this thing over me. It’s not like I thought about him constantly. I just felt like I needed someone like him in my life. I didn’t have any friends left and he was the only person I had an actual deep conversation with too. When would I get to meet another person like that again? What I thought the most was I knew it was too good to be true. When people say: “I’ll see you around.” It never really means literally what is is. So, it was set. I was going to leave Virginia tonight.

Heading to the exact same Starbucks I was at three days ago, I needed to fuel up. I have a habit of looking down and as I quickened my pace I bumped shoulders with somebody. I didn’t bother looking at the stranger after I had apologized.

“Alexia?”

“Um, hi? Do I know you?” I asked turning around.

“Yeah, it’s Cameron. Remember? We met a few days ago…right here. I um, I cut my hair. I guess that’s why I probably look different, huh?”

“Oh! Cameron. Yeah, I remember. I’m sorry. I thought I recognized you. It’s yeah, your hair. It looks great.” I said all of a sudden feeling really stupid. I should’ve realized it from the beginning. The one person that I couldn’t stop talking about in my head, I didn’t even recognize him standing right in front of me.

“Yeah, um say. You want to grab a drink and hang out for a bit?”

“Um…”

“I understand if you’re busy though. I mean we can some other time.” He started, but after he said that I knew that some other time might actually be never this time.

“No, I-I can make time.”

“You sure?”

“Positive.” I said smiling.

And just like how it was three days ago, here we were once again, talking and sitting comfortably on the couches by the window, same place.

“So, how have you been?” He asked.

“Not too good, to tell you the truth. I think I’m going to leave tonight.”

“What? Why?” He asked as he started to sit up in his seat from his slouching position.

“To be honest, I can’t find a thing to keep me from leaving and I’ve pretty much been living like a hobo these past three days.”

“What? You haven’t seen Virginia at its finest yet! And what do you mean you’ve been living like a hobo?”

“It means that I’ve been living in my car my whole stay in Virginia.”

“Are you serious?" I nodded my head shamefully. “Well, I mean I can help you find a place with a reasonable price.”

“You don’t have to.”

“No. I want to. I feel like if Virginia had nothing good to offer you I feel like that I’ve been a like well bad Virginian.”

“I don’t know.”

“Let me and then maybe I can show you around Virginia.”

I thought about it for a moment. I didn’t want this to be like it was three days ago. He was just trying to be nice and then disappear. He wouldn’t have tried to if he didn’t really want to though right? So I agreed to his plan. When I did, I was shown by Cameron all the nice things about Virginia and not only was that enough to make me stay, he offered to be right by side if there was anything I needed. This time I knew this was going to be real because after we exchanged numbers I was able to find a nice place with a good price and a little help from Cameron, I found out he lived a few blocks away. I planned to look for work to continue for paying for my new place and to pay Cameron back, because after I finally took a real shower, ate a decent meal, and got a good nights rest. Virginia felt like my new home.
♠ ♠ ♠
This took me days to write. I've been busy and just down right lazy. I'm taking a college entrance test tomorrow. So, wish me luck. :3

& I promise this IS a Josh Franceschi story. It's just moving rather slow now. I think the flashbacks are necessary for Lexi and her history with Cameron because he's not just some character that walks in her life and steals her away from Josh. So, there is going to be a few more random flashbacks. Hopefully, most of y'all have warmed up to him because he isn't going anywhere right now. ;)

Leave me some feedback please!