Sequel: The Technicolor Phase
Status: Finished

Painting Flowers

Funeral

Image

Danielle Watson felt the tears stream down her face as she stared at her mother’s lifeless body. Her mother had been sick for over a year so she knew this day would come. She just couldn't’t believe it had happened. People kept coming up to her giving her their condolences. She just wished they would all go away. She wanted nothing more than to be alone right now.

As the pastor began the eulogy Danielle found her mind wondering away from her. She thought about all the silly stories about a place called Wonderland. Her mother told her about the Red Queen, a Cheshire Cat that smiled, how she killed the evil Jabberwocky, and about him; the Mad Hatter. Danielle found herself in love with the Hatter but she knew the stories weren't’t real. It was just a made up world that her mother had imagined.

She brought herself back to reality as people began to walk by her mother’s body. Alice used to be so beautiful but the cancer took over her body. Her skin was waxy, she had dark circles under her eyes, she looked weak, and her hair was greasy. The mortician made her look like an angel again. Danielle stood up from the chair. As she walked up to her mother’s casket she began to burst into tears. Both her parents were now gone.

Richard Watson died two years ago. He was such a great father and he loved his wife more than air. One of his passions included poetry. He loved writing it and reciting them to Danielle. Like Alice, Richard had a vivid imagination. He’d tell Danielle so many stories. Now Danielle had no body. As she stared down at her mother she felt someone wrap their hands around her waist. She turned around to see her ex-fiance Paul. He had brown hair, bushy eyebrows, and blue eyes. He was really handsome but Danielle wasn't’t in love with him. That’s why she decided not to marry him.

“Danielle, I’m here for you if you ever need anything.” He told her calmly.

“Thank you Paul. That’s very thoughtful but I’ll be fine.”

Paul stared down into the casket then back up to Danielle. “Do you want to stay with me tonight? My parents won’t mind if you sleep in the guest room.”

“No, thank you.”

“You can’t stay in that house alone. It’s too much for you to handle right now.”

Danielle walked away from the casket. That’s all she wanted right now was to be alone. She could feel everyone watching her as she passed by. She had to get away from them all but the last thing she wanted to do was miss the rest of her mother’s funeral. She waited outside the church for the Paul Bears to carry the casket out. Danielle followed everyone to the cemetery that was located right behind the church.

They finally stopped by a grave site. The beautiful casket was then lowered into the ground. Danielle shivered at just the thought of her mother’s remains located in the ground. She took her eyes off the casket to stare up at the sky. She was waiting for the rain to fall from the heavens. Rain seemed like a good thing right now. It would mirror her emotions. After the grave site funeral was over Danielle decided to head back home. As she walked it began to rain. She wrapped her arms around her chest. She began to shiver from the cold but it didn't’t matter. She sadly smiled as she remembered the last time she spoke to her mother.

It was two days ago. Danielle sat in the living quarters reading a book of poetry when her mother called her name. She placed the book on the table then went into her mother’s room. Alice lay on the bed staring out the window. Danielle sat down beside her. Her mother stared over at her sadly.

“You know I love you right?” asked Alice.

“Yes mom, I know.”

“I don’t think I have much time left.”

Danielle felt her heart break. “Don’t you dare say that. You’re going to live forever.”

“I don’t think so baby.” She paused for a breath. “Do you remember the stories I told you about Wonderland?”

Danielle smiled. “Yes, I remember.”

“I know you think they were all made up but the stories are real. One day, you will go to Wonderland. Please, tell everyone that I died a happy woman.”

“Mother, I’ll never go to Wonderland.”

Alice smiled over at her daughter. “Just look for the white rabbit in the waist coat!”

Later that night, Alice Kingsley-Watson passed away peacefully in her sleep.

Danielle felt the salty tears being washed away by the rain as she remembered that day. She finally saw the small apartment buildings where she and her mother lived. Her parents left her with inheritance money so she had enough to pay for the bills. Once inside the house, she took a well needed hot shower. When she got done she dried out her long curly blond hair. She then brushed her teeth, washed her face, and put on her pajamas. She walked into her mother’s bedroom and laid down on the bed. She cried for so many hours. She couldn't’t live the rest of her life alone.

“I just want to get away from here….forever.” she whispered to herself before falling asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments will make me update faster!