Sequel: The Technicolor Phase
Status: Finished

Painting Flowers

Red Hail

Image

Danielle carefully hopped down from the hat and landed on Hatter's shoulder. She was tired of staying on the hat. Hatter had been walking for nearly an hour and she was getting restless.

"Where are we?" she asked when he walked through the forest and into a Barren field.

He glanced over at her his emerald eyes were now turning a golden topaz color. Danielle knew he was getting upset.

"This used to be a fertile field but nothings grown since Andromeda's taken over Underland."

"If the White Queen has the crown then how can Andromeda do that?"

Hatter smiled evily. "She has blood on her hands."

"You mean Andromeda threatened to kill Mirana if she got in her way?"

"Yes."

Danielle looked around the barren land. She had to fight for Underland. If she didn't all the creatures and humans would clearly died of starvation.

"Where has everyone gone?"

"Many have been taken as slaves by Andromeda other's have fled to the Outlands. Only a few remain but they are in hiding." Hatter glanced up at the sky. "Red hail is coming."

He headed underneath a large tree and sat down. Danielle looked up to see the sky opening up. Soon, red hail began to hit the earth. She had never seen anything like this before.

"It won't last long." he said. "Tell me about your nightmare you had last night."

Danielle sighed. "I was running through the woods and a black dragon was chasing after me. It blew fire at me so I jumped over a log I believe and landed into a blak hole. Thankfully, I had a match but when I lit it I saw a decomposed corpse next to me. She turned her head and I realized it was my mother. She said Welcome home Danielle. That's when I screamed and woke up."

"I'm sorry you had that dream."

"It's not your fault. It's my minds fault."

Hatter sat frozen. "Mind." he whispered.

Danielle quickly changed the subject. "My father always told me that dreams are the way we whisper into our own ears."

Hatter blinked and turned to look at her. "An excellent way of putting it! Your father is a saganistute."

"That better be a compliment."

Hatter smiled. "It means a wise man of poetry and vision." he paused for a slight moment. "Did he treat your mother right?"

"Of course he did."

"Good."

The last of the red hail hit the earth. Hatter stood up to his feet and began walking again.

"You loved her didn't you?" asked Danielle.

"Of course I loved your mother but it's not the kind of love I feel now."

Danielle didn't know if he meant her or not. She didn't push it any further. She sat on his shoulder and just watched the scenery. Not long after they started running Hatter froze. He glanced around and looked down at Danielle.

"Andromeda's Knights are here." he said. "You must go to the White Queen's castle."

"No, I'm not leaving you."

Hatter sadly smiled down at her. "I'll be fine."

"Either you take me with you and I rescue you or I come to the castle and find you."

"If Andromeda finds out your Alice's daughter she'll kill you."

"She won't know I'm there. Please, don't leave me."

Hatter looked around as the sound of heavy footsteps came closer. He grabbed Danielle and placed her in his pocket.

"Don't say a word." he said.

Danielle could hear the footsteps stop aroun dhim.

"Hatter! Just the man Queen Andromeda wants to see! Come with us."

Hatter grunted when one of the spears poked him in the side. One of the knights tied his hands behind his back. Danielle looked up. He dropped his head low and met her gaze. she had no idea how to save him but after all the stories her mother had told her she knew she could do it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image