Sequel: The Technicolor Phase
Status: Finished

Painting Flowers

True Feelings

Image

Danielle opened her eyes to the sweet smell of tea. She tilted her head to see Tarrant place a food tray on the nightstand next to her. He smiled when she saw her blue eyes stare into his emerald ones.

"Did you have a good nap?" he asked.

"Yes. You carried me up here?"

"I couldn't very well let you sleep outside. Not safe."

"That's true."

Hatter handed Danielle a plate of food. She thanked him then began to eat. She didn't realize how hungry she was until she ate most of the food.

"If you'll excuse me Mirana asked me to make a few hats for her. You need your rest for tomorrow anyway."

Hatter bent down his soft lips landed on her forehead.

"Hatter, I'm scared."

Hatter's emerald eyes softened. "Don't be. You'll do fine. I'll be there with you."

He smiled at her before leaving the room. Danielle sighed loudly. She knew that no matter how hard she tried she wouldn't be able to go back to sleep. She was too nervous about tomorrow. When she finished eating, she took a well needed shower then walked onto the balcony. She really didn't want to be alone right now. It made her mind think about her mother too much. Before she knew it hot tears were falling from her eyes. Crying wouldn't bring her mother back but she couldn't help but cry.

"Why are you crying?" Chessur asked.

He appeared in front of Danielle. She quickly wiped the tears from her eyes and smiled at him.

"I'm just thinking about my mother."

"The ones you love never truly leave you. She's here." he said placing his paw on her chest. "In your heart."

"Thanks Chessur. Whenever I'm alone I just start thinking about her."

"And that's good. Her memories will keep her alive in your heart. Now, I'm about to go see Tarrant. Would you like to go with me?"

Danielle really wanted to see Hatter hard in his word. He was really talented at making hats and dresses. She nodded then followed Chessur out of her room. He lead her through the halls of the castle. Danielle had never seen so many rooms before. Chessur stopped in front of the many doors. He evaporated through the door leaving Danielle in the hallway. She was about to open the door but he came back into the hallway.

"He's talking to Mallymkun." he said.

"Okay, we'll just wait."

Hatter walked out of Danielle's room giving her some peace. She needed all the rest she could get. He headed through the hallways until he reached the room that he was very fond of. He used to make all the hats for the White Queen in this room. He pushed it open to see Mallymkun, the Dormouse sitting on his work desk. Hatter shut the door and walked over to her.

"Can we talk?" she asked.

"What is it Mally?"

She nervously cleared her throat. "I'm jealous of Danielle."

Hatter raised his eyebrows. "Why?"

"Because, she has your heart. I have loved you for a longtime Tarrant."

Hatter always knew that Mallymkun loved him. It would never work out though. She needed to find someone else to love.

"Mally, I know you love me and I love you too but not in the way you love me. Danielle has my heart."

"Does she feel the same way about you?"

Hatter froze. Did Danielle feel the same about him? Surely she did.

"Yes."

"We'll see after she slays Blaze tomorrow. She's half jabberwocky ya know. Her blood can take Danielle back home."

"What's that supposed to mean?" he said, his eyes starting to turn golden.

Mallymkun knew she hit a nerve.

"If Danielle leaves then that means she doesn't love you but if she stays then she does."

Hatter had begun to fall madly in love with Danielle. If she left him he didn't know what he would do. She was a part of him now. He'd be lost without her. He ignored Mally's comment. If Danielle wanted to leave it would be her choice. Although, he knew it would be the wrong one.

"If Danielle decides to leave will you give your heart to me?" she asked.

"Excuse me." said a voice.

Hatter and Mallymkun looked to see Chessur. He quickly vanished. Hatter turned his attention back to Mallymkun.

"I can't." he whispered softly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image