Sequel: The Technicolor Phase
Status: Finished

Painting Flowers

Promise

Image

Danielle lifted her head when she heard someone walk up behind her. She tilted her head to see Hatter sit down beside her. He took off his hat and placed it in his lap. Danielle quickly brushed the tear from her eyes. She didn't want Hatter to see her crying.

"Sorry." she said.

"Don't apologize. You have every right to be upset." he said.

"I assume I do. I just can't believe she's gone."

Hatter sadly dropped his head. He couldn't believe that Alice was gone either. He had lost a part of his heart for the most part. Now that her daughter was in Underland he didn't know what to think. Should he be happy that a little bit of Alice was still here? He thought Danielle was so beautiful. She looked just like Alice. He sighed loudly and glanced over at Danielle. It broke his heart to see her crying. He securely placed his arm around her waist.

Danielle felt Hatter wrapped his arm around her waist. She somewhat felt better by his touch. She laid her head down on his should and breathed in his unique scent. Now she knew why her mother loved him. Alice only loved him as a friend though. It wasn't the emotional kind of love. For Danielle though, she could feel it in her heart.

"You know." began Hatter. "Your mother isn't in pain anymore. I know it's hard for you right now but just think she's in a better place. And she's always going to love you."

Danielle nodded. Hatter was right; she was in a better place but it was hard to deal with her death. She couldn't believe how fast she was falling in love with Hatter. She knew a lot about him but wanted to know more.

"Thank you. I know she's in a better place. So, what's your real name? Surely it's not Hatter."

He chuckled a silly chuckle that put a smile on her lips.

"No. It's Tarrant Hightopp. I used to be a Hatter by trade in the White Queen's castle. Until the Horunvendush Day, when the white fell to red in the Tulgey Wood."

"What exactly happened? My mother never told me the whole story because she thought I was too young."

Hatter glanced over at Danielle. "It's a horrible story."

Hatter sighed. "Very well. It was several years ago in the Tulgey Wood. We we're all having a party. The White Queen's champion was the keeper of the Vulpor Sword. While listening to song and dance the evil Jabberwocky came into the village. The knight was scared to death. In the midst of his fear, he dropped the Vorpal Sword and ran. The Jabberwocky shot fire at the village. It was a horrible sight. I helped the White Queen to safety. The massacre was so horrible that Thackery went mad."

"He's the March Hare?"

Hatter nodded. "Yes. Stayne found the Vorpal Sword and took it to big head. She put Mirana into exile in Marnoreal. Mirana waited until a champion came to kill the Jabberwocky and return her crown."

Danielle smiled. "My mother was the champion!"

"Yes. But now Andromeda's turned Underland into something fierce."

Danielle sadly looked away. Her mother's hard work didn't pay off. Now she had to save Wonderland herself. It was something she wanted to do for the people, the creatures, and especially her mother.

"What if I can't kill Blaze?"

"Never say you can't love. If you can put your mind to it you can do anything."

"Thank you Tarrant! You've really made me feel better." Danielle smiled up at him.

Hatter removed his arm from her waist and placed his hat on his head then stood up.

"We should be getting back. We have a long day tomorrow."

"Yes, and I'm getting rather hungry."

"I'm sure Mallymkun can whip you up some soup."

Hatter held out his hand to help Danielle off the rock. she followed him out of the clearing and into the woods.

"Promise me one thing." said Hatter.

"What's that?"

"Don't go wondering in the woods by yourself again. I don't know what I'd do if anything ever happened to you."

Danielle felt her heart melt. Tarrant really did care about her. She nodded in agreement.

"I promise." she replied.

She would never in a million years break a promise she made to Hatter.
♠ ♠ ♠
Last update for the day!

Image