Sequel: The Technicolor Phase
Status: Finished

Painting Flowers

Nightmare

Image

The only lights illuminating in the woods were those of the March Hares windmill house. Danielle followed Hatter inside. She was hit by the wonderful smell of vegetable soup. Mallymkun was in the kitchen boiling it in the cauldron. Danielle was rather surprised by how big the house looked from the inside. He had the kitchen, dining room, library, living area, and staircase that led to the second floor. Danielle assumed that's where the bedrooms were located.

"Smells good Mally!"

"Thank you Hatter!"

Danielle looked around for Chessur and the White Rabbit. They were no where to be found. She thought that they had probably already gone home. She made her way into the living area to find the March Hare sitting by the fireplace. He was ripping papers out of a book and throwing them into the blazing fire. He laughed as he did so. Danielle quickly glanced away. Hatter said he lost his mind when the massacre at the Tulgey Wood happened. She just couldn't imagine so many people losing their lives.

She walked away and was about to head into the kitchen when she heard Mallymkun and Hatter talking lowly.

"She can't help us Tarrant. She's nothing like her mother. Send her back."

"I will not send her back." he said coldly.

"You love her don't you?"

When Hatter didn't say anything Mallymkun spoke again.

"She's not Alice. She's nothing like Alice."

Danielle couldn't take it anymore. She was not going to let Mallymkun talk about her like that. She barged into the kitchen with a stern look on her face. Hatter didn't look surprised to see her. He knew she was listening in.

"First of all, I don't want to leave. I want to help save Underland. and I know I am nothing like my mother but I do have a good heart like she did. I know what's right and what's wrong. So, I'm going to fight to save this place."

"Love, you'll be killed in a heartbeat. Blaze is more powerful than the Jabberwocky." replied Mallymkun.

"Then if I die I'll know it was for a good cause. I'm going to the White Castle tomorrow and Sky will help me fight. Please, don't say anything about me not being like my mother because I'm every bit of her and then some."

Hatter smiled over at her. He knew Danielle was every bit like Alice. She fought for what was right and she was a young girl blossoming into a beautiful woman. He walked over to the pot and tasted the soup. When he put a little bit more seasoning in it he poured a bowl for Danielle and fixed her a cup of tea.

"Thank you."

She sank down into a chair and began to eat. When she finished she washed her bowl and cup.

"I'm going to bed."

"Night." said Hatter.

"I'll show you to your room."

Danielle followed Mallymkun up the stairs. She led her into a room that contained a large bed, nightstand, desk, chair, and fireplace that was burning wood.

"There's clothes in the wardrobe." said Mallymkun.

"Thank you."

Mally nodded then cleared her throat. "Danielle, I want to apologize."

Danielle smiled. "Apology excepted. Goodnight."

"Night love."

When Mallymkun left the room Danielle shut the door. There was a small bathroom which surprisingly contained a toilet and a shower. She did her business, took a shower, and changed into her pajamas. She had no hot rollers so her hair would be in loose curls. After her hair was somewhat dry she climbed into the bed and soon fell asleep.

---------------------------------------------------------

Danielle ran through the woods in sheer panic. She glanced back to see the trees burst into flame behind her. A large black dragon floated in the air above her. She let out a scream as it blew fire at her. She jumped over a log and landed into a deep hole. It was so dark that she couldn't see her hand in front of her. She thankfully found a match and lit it. She smelt death which made her sick. She turned her head to find a decomposed body with greasy blond hair laying next to her. The body tilted it's head and Danielle realized the corpse was her mother Alice.

"Welcome home Danielle." she said in a raspy voice.

Alice reached her bony hand over to Danielle. At once she let out a lout blood curling scream.

-----------------------------------------------------------

"Danielle, wake up." his voice spoke.

Danielle opened her eyes. She jumped into the Hatters arm. He ran his hands through her still damp hair trying to soothe her.

"Shh, it's okay. You just had a nightmare."

Danielle felt the hot tears start to slide down her cheek.

"I hate nightmares."

"I have them every night. That's why I don't sleep."

"Ever?"

"Sometimes I do but it's only for a few hours. Now go back to sleep. I'll be right downstairs."

Danielle pulled herself out of Hatters arms to look into his emerald eyes.

"Can you stay here with me? Only until I fall asleep."

Hatter was caught off guard by her question. He finally nodded and was about to get out of the bed to sit in the chair by the fire but Danielle grabbed his arm.

"No, will you lay in bed with me?"

Hatter cleared his throat. "Yes."

He removed his hat and sat it on the nightstand before laying in the bed next to Danielle. She rolled over on her side so that she was staring at him.

"Thank you." she whispered.

"You're welcome."

It didn't take Danielle very long to fall back asleep. She felt rather safe with Hatter laying next to her. The rest of the night she slept peacefully.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm loving the awesome feedback! Thank you all for taking the time to read this story and to comment on it! I love hearing what you all think of Painting Flowers! :)

Image