Big Words, Recycled Phrases, and the Bittersweet Taste of Other Boys on Your Lips

III

I got out of the guy’s car, glancing over my shoulder and winking at him, before starting to walk down the street. I glanced down at my jacket, starting to slide my money into the front pocket, when I bumped into someone.

“Sorry,” I apologized quickly, stepping back as the guy’s arms shot out to steady me.

“No, it was my bad.” He offered, glancing up before he smiled, “Hey, you!”

“What?” I squinted.

“It’s me,” Yeah, real descriptive, “The guy from the music club.”

“Oh,” I muttered, “Yeah, hey.”

“Hey,” He laughed, “What are you doing?”

“Oh,” I repeated, “I was about to pick up something to eat.” I shrugged.

“Cool,” He started, bending down to pick up something he’d dropped, “I was on my way to Waffle House, want to come?”

“In the middle of the evening?” I asked skeptically.

“Yes, breakfast is too good to only be eaten in the morning. Oh, and I’m trying to get a hold of my brother and tell him to come along, but he’s not answering his phone.”

“Hm,” I hummed, before noticing what he had is in his hand, “Is that Batman?” I asked.

“Yeah,” He laughed nervously, “My friend borrowed it, and he just returned it. I don’t normally carry around comic books.”

“Dude, like the original?”

“Yeah,” He nodded relaxing.

“My brother’s not coming home tonight, I’m up for Waffle House.” I nodded, forgetting the fact that under my red jacket I smelled, and I was wearing my ‘street’ clothes.

---

“So, what’s your name?” The guy asked. I sighed, glancing up at him from the comic book we had spread out in front of us.

He laughed, “I don’t get what the issue with names is.”

“I just,” I shrugged shaking my head, “I’m Parker.”

“Gerard.” He smiled, “Nice to meet you.”

I rolled my eyes, but the corner of my lip curled up anyway.

---

“So, if your brother doesn’t like you being alone then why wouldn’t he answer your phone call?” I asked.

“Oh,” He muttered, glancing down at the now dark sidewalk, “He was probably playing around on his guitar.”

“Hmm.” I hummed.

“So, we should do this more often. What’s your phone number?”

“I don’t have a cell phone.” I told him.

“Alright, if you’re seriously lying to me to get me to-”

“No,” I cut him off, “I seriously don’t have a cell phone.”

“That’s weird.” He mumbled, “Your not amish, right?”

“Yes, what gave it away? The long blue jean skirt or the hair pulled tightly into a bun?” I raised an bemused eyebrow at him.

He laughed, “Alright, alright. You aren’t amish.”

We were silent for a few moments before he spoke up, “What’s your major?”

“Art Education.” I shrugged.

“Hm.” He squinted.

“What’s yours?”

“I’m still undecided. I’ve been going to school for a year and a half and I’m still not sure what I want to do.” He shrugged, “There’s just so many options.”

“I know what you mean.” I nodded taking another drink of my coffee. He opened his mouth to say something else, but suddenly the batman theme song started blaring, and I squinted down at the comic book confused until Gerard flipped open his phone and it stopped. I stared at him incredulously as he muttered a ‘Hey, freak, why didn’t you answer your phone.’

I shook my head, and glanced at the clock on the wall before downing the rest of my coffee.

‘Alright,’ Gerard muttered, ‘Alright’ He repeated a bit more annoyed, ‘Love you, too, see you.’ He hung up, glancing at me with wide eyes, and shaking his head.

“That your brother?” I asked, pulling out a ten to pay for the little food I had gotten.

“How did you know.” He muttered as the waitress came over, filling up my coffee mug.

“Nice ring tone by the way.” I mumbled, hiding my smile in the coffee cup.

“Oh, bug off.” He laughed, “I bet yours is something totally lame like the Superman theme song or something.”

“Don’t have a cell phone.” I reminded him.

“Oh, right, then why are you even-“ He cut himself off, “I’m not even going there.” He smirked triumphantly.

“I have to go.” I told him standing up after putting my money on the table with a small tip.

“Yeah, me too, I’ll walk with you.”

“We may not be going the same way.” I told him.

“You’re so secretive.” He stated, “I’m just waiting for you to get a mysterious phone call through your shoe and then tuck and roll out the door.”

“A phone call through my shoe.” I squinted.

“Like a shoe phone. All the FBI agents have one.”

“I’m sure.” I nodded.

“They do.” He snapped as we pushed open the door and descended down the street. We continued walking, getting into the lower class end of town.

“You live out here?” I asked raising an eyebrow.

You live out here?” He returned the gesture.

“Touché.” I muttered.

We walked on silently for a while until we were in the really, really not safe part of town.

“Okay, do you really live out here, or are you just walking me home?” I asked.

“I really live out here.” He stated, “Is that a problem?”

“No.” I narrowed my eyes.

---

“Alright, this is my place,” I nodded towards the small apartment complex.

“I’ll walk you up.” He said.

I glanced at him with a blank face.

“What?” He defended, “I’m convinced that you’re housing corpses.”

“I’m not housing corpses.” I muttered as I stomped up the stairs, pulling the key out from under the mat and unlocking the door. I pushed it open and squinted when I saw all the lights on.

“Zach?” I called. No answer.

“Alright, I’ll see you later.” I told Gerard, walking into my apartment slowly, and glancing around.

“Alright,” He nodded, not moving. I glanced back at him.

“See you,” I muttered closing the door, turning and walking further into the apartment, pausing as I glanced into my bedroom and saw the door open, window broken.

I cursed, walking into the kitchen and pulling open the cabinet above the fridge, lowering the cookie jar and opening it to see all the money gone. I cursed again. I entered my bedroom and looked relieved under the mattress to see my laptop still there. Zach’s skateboard was missing, but he could just have that with him. I hope he does.

After looking around the apartment to see most everything still there –minus my collection of Queen CDs. The nerve- I entered my room, pulling the curtains closed and sitting down on my bed.

I stayed up late into the night, into early morning with one thought running through my mind. It wasn’t that the thief would come back and kill me. It wasn’t that it was cold with the window open. It wasn’t that I had opened up to someone for the first time in six years, even if only a little. No. The only thing running through my mind for the last eight hours has been a simple seven word sentence.

How am I going to pay rent?
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's so short. I thought that was a good stopping place though, and I don't really want to add anything onto it right now. More soon, I promise. :) I've already gotten a lot more typed up.

Comments are inspiration.