Big Words, Recycled Phrases, and the Bittersweet Taste of Other Boys on Your Lips

IV

I woke up early. A glance at the clock told me I’d only gotten about two or three hours of semi-good rest. I took a shower and was towel drying my hair when I heard a knock at the door. Oh, no.

I pulled on some sweatpants and pulled my red jacket on, buttoning it and pulling the belt tight on it before going to the door and looking through the peep hole. It was Enrique, the guy who owned this dump.

“Hey,” I greeted opening the door.

“Hola,” He returned, “Your rent for this month is due today.”

“Yeah,” This so would happen to me. Just my luck., “Last night someone broke in, and they took my money. You have to give me some more time.”

He raised an eyebrow crossing his arms, “I have to feed my family, I can’t just wait a few weeks then give them food. It doesn’t work like that, so you give me my money today or I get a new tenant and you’re gone by tonight.”

“Listen,” I sighed, “I have fifty dollars on me, if you give me one week I can get the rest to you.”

“Or,” He smiled, his Puerto Rican accent stronger than ever, “You can leave, come back when you have the money, and I’ll consider renting you back your apartment.”

“Listen,” I repeated, leaning closer, “I have no where else to go. You know Zach and I, we’re trustworthy tenants. We always get the rent to you on time, will you please just let us slide this once.”

“Ah-ah-ah,” He shook his head, “If I let you off with this once, what makes me think you won’t try it again?”

“Enrique, Please!” I begged, “I had the money in full, I swear, last night I wasn’t home until late and someone broke in through the window. They took all the money that was here.”

He squinted, “Is the window broken?”

“Yes, look,” I walked back into the apartment, through the bedroom and pulled back the curtain.

He sighed, “And you can’t pay for it?”

I can’t pay for it?!” I snapped tugging my hands through my wet hair, “This is your building! You are responsible for this!”

“I’m afraid not. Clearly, you are the one who left the apartment unattended, and your stolen personal items are of no concern to me.” He put a hand to his chin, “This will probably set you back about-”

“I’m not paying for this.” I said calmly crossing my arms.

“Very well then.” He nodded, “You have until tonight, if I come back and you’re still here, you will get a police escort out.”

“Enrique, you can’t do this.”

“I’m afraid I can.” He pursed his lips, “So start packing, anything left behind will be my property.” He turned and began to exit.

“Enrique,” I repeated, walking quickly after him.

“Buh-buh-buh-buh,” He shook his head holding up a finger, “Tonight.” He repeated, nodding and shutting the door.

I glared at the door for a second before kicking it, hard. I collapsed against it, banging my fist into it, eyes clenching shut. I sucked in a quick, short breath before slipping to my knees, turning and leaning against the door. I buried my face in my hands and breathed a few quiet sobs and small tears escaping.

---

I felt exhausted by the time I finally dragged myself up and reentered the bathroom. My hair was still damp, and I brushed through it a few times. I got a wet washcloth and pressed it against my eyes.

Once I looked acceptable, I started packing. I pulled the two suitcases out onto the floor –One blue, mine, and one green, Zach’s- and put all of the clothes I could into them.

I had a few things that wouldn’t fit in the suitcase. I left behind all of our food –minus a few water bottles-, most of our toiletries –minus the expensive stuff like 40 dollar hair gel, and some of Zach’s expensive conditioner (I swear, he’s such a girl sometimes)-, and all of the furniture.

Once I had everything packed I booted up my laptop, letting it charge one more time and getting online. I quickly emailed a few of my regular clients. The ones who only wanted sex. Yes, all of them want sex, but these only want normal sex (i.e. no toys, no weird positions, no creepy kinks. They’re only sometimes a little rough.). I emailed them a short email. Barely going in detail, just saying that I needed a client for the entire night, and I would throw in a free blow job. Bribery can’t hurt, right?

---

I hurried down the street, trying to get quickly into town. A girl like me is the perfect target for a mugging. I slowed a bit once I entered some busier streets, taking my time to get to my destination.

---

I reached Zach’s school five minutes before the final bells would ring. I silently congratulated myself for the timing. Sure, Zach wouldn’t be too happy, or happy at all, when he sees me standing out here, but he can get over it.

So, it came to no surprise to me that ten minutes after the bell rang, as he came down the steps laughing with his friends, and his eyes fell on me, his smile dropped. He carried an unreadable expression as he told his friends something and walked over to me.

“What are you doing here? And why do you have our suitcases?” He asked, standing over me, looking at me like I had just done the dumbest thing ever, and when did he get so tall?

“Zach, I need you to find somewhere to go for a while.”

His rude expression dropped quickly, “Why?” He asked, voice cracking.

“Just for a while, okay? Somewhere safe. Ask one of your friends. Tell them you’re terribly sorry for the inconvenience, but your guardian is going out of town very short notice on a business trip, and they won’t be back for at least a week. You can jump around even, just stay somewhere safe.”

“What’s going on?” He squinted, “You’re not leaving, are you?”

“No, Zach,” I sighed, “You just need to find somewhere, alright?”

“Why can’t I stay at the apartment with you? Why can’t we go back to the apartment?” His eyes were wide, and his lips were parted slightly, taking shallow breaths in and out.

“Zach,” I said quietly, “I just need you to take your suitcase, everything is in there, and go home with one of your friends for a while, please.”

He eyed my suitcase, eyes growing suddenly wet, and he glanced down, “You can’t leave.”

“Zach,” I snapped, “Look at me,” He hesitantly raised his head, “I am not leaving,” I said slowly, “I will see you soon. I’ll meet you after school every day if you want me to. I just need you to do this for me.”

“No,” He shook his head, “I’m coming with you.”

“Zach,” I repeated, growing frustrated, “I’m not leaving, I swear.”

“I don’t believe you.” He whispered, dipping his head as his voice cracked, and a tear fell quickly down his face.

“Hey,” I said quietly, “Trust me,” I grabbed his wrist, “I’m not going anywhere.” I paused, “Where would I go?” I laughed.

“Alright,” He nodded, reaching out for his suitcase and pulling it next to him, “I’ll see you tomorrow after school?”

“If you want me to come.” I nodded.

He nodded in return, turning and heading away, looking much shorter than when he’d approached me, shoulders sagged, dragging a small suitcase behind him. He got to his friends, and they started to walk away, before he turned and glanced at me again. He stopped his friends, saying something to them, before they nodded, and he let go of his suitcase, jogging back over to me.

“Will you come with us?”

“What?” I squinted.

“Just for a little while, there is room in Jon’s car, and I think it’ll be good if you know where I’m staying anyway, so you can come and get me when I need to come home, right?” He offered.

“Zach,” I sighed, “I have somewhere to be.”

“I don’t want you to leave, okay? What will I do if you’re gone. Just come with me so I can atleast believe that you might come pick me up.”

“Zach,” I repeated, “I’m going to come get you.”

“I know, so come with us, and you’ll know where I’m staying when it’s time.”

“Alright,” I nodded, heading back to his friends with him.

“Alright?” One of his friends asked. He nodded, and they started walking. Zach kept glancing over at me like I was going to turn and run at any moment.

Finally we got to a big SUV type thing towards the back of the school’s lot. Zach put our bags in the trunk and walked around opening the car door and making sure I got in before crawling in behind me. The car could hold up to eight people, but only five got in.

“Hey, I’m Jon,” The guy driving spoke into the rear view mirror, “You’re Zach’s older sister?”

“Yeah, I’m Parker.” I nodded.

“Alright, cool.” With that he started the car, backing up and pulling out of the parking lot slowly.

“So, I finally get to meet your friends.” I smirked over at Zach, hoping to get a normal reaction, but he only nodded, still watching me warily, “This is Spencer and Brendon.”

I nodded at them, noting Brendon had been the one in the apartment when Zach and I had our…disagreement.

Jon pulled over to a normal house in a nice neighborhood, and Spencer got out quickly saying ‘goodbye’ to everyone and exiting the car. He turned up his driveway, and started to pull out his keys, when his attention turned to something else, and he smiled raising up a hand and waving. I looked the direction he was looking to see a familiar looking guy crossing his lawn three doors down.

“Ryan!” Brendon yelled hanging out the window, waving; Jon grabbing the back of his shirt and pulling him back in the seat. Ryan returned the wave, continuing his trek towards Spencer. So that’s why he looks familiar.

“Did you ask them?” I muttered to Zach in a low voice, motioning towards Brendon and Jon.

“Brendon’s going to ask his parents, and if that falls through, Spencer said his parents would probably let him, but it wouldn’t be convenient.” He returned.

“Alright, make sure they know that it should only be for a few days, possibly a week.” I told him.

“I will,” He rolled his eyes, and I was actually glad to see him returning to his normal self.

“I won’t have to join your cult or anything will I?” Zach asked Brendon, leaning over the back of the seat in front of us.

“Shut up!” Brendon cried, flinging his hand towards Zach uselessly. Zach laughed, “Are you allowed to have caffeine?”

“Yes!” Brendon defended, “My parents aren’t that strict! They only enforce the important stuff.”

“Caffeine is important.” Jon cut in.

“Shut up!” Brendon repeated, pulling at Jon’s hair. Jon laughed turning on the radio, the oldies station playing instantly. Jon turned the dial, making it grow louder.

“Old Man Walker!” Brendon jeered, poking Jon in the side.

“They’re classics.” Jon defended.

“Only sometimes, most of the time it’s just old granny music.” Zach put in.

“I like this song.” I snapped, elbowing him lighting in the arm.

“Thank you!” Jon laughed, turning it up louder. Jon hummed along with the verses, occasionally singing a few words, and Brendon even joined in on a few of the chorus’.

Jon turned it down, as the radio host came on ‘That was Sugar, Sugar by the Archies...’

A few minutes later we pulled into an even nicer neighborhood. Brendon unbuckled his seatbelt as Jon slowed the car down, halting to a stop in front of a large two story house with a teenage girl standing up on a balcony talking on her cell phone, and three toddlers –one little girl, and two little boys- hanging out in the yard, another disinterested teenage girl watching them.

“Do you think there are any peaceful moments in his house?” Zach asked after Brendon had exited the car, avoiding being seen by the toddlers in the yard as he slipped in through the garage and disappeared.

“I’d hope so, but I’m not too sure.” Jon shrugged, “Good luck.” He smiled back at Zach in the rear view mirror. Zach groaned. We sat in silence for a few more moments before Brendon jogged back out to the car, the toddlers in the front yard chasing after him as the teenage girl started shouting something, looking frustrated.

Brendon ignored all of them pulling open the door, and glancing in, “You can stay.” He nodded, going around the Jon’s trunk. I hopped out as Jon turned off the car and did the same. I walked with Zach up the yard, Jon following as the little girl, probably the oldest shouted his name. He looked at her, a big smile covering his face before he returned, “Sarah!” Dropping to his knees and letting her latch her little arms around his neck.

“Kiss up.” Brendon muttered, as Jon stood back up, arms supporting the little girl still clinging to his neck. It felt weird knowing that other people were still living normal lives. It feels like ever since my life has changed that everyone else’s should have as well. I guess that’s not true.

“B!” One of the little boys shouted, hurrying to walk along with Brendon, “B!” He repeated.

“Not now, Jack.” Brendon snapped, walking faster to the front door. The little boy threw himself onto the grass throwing a temper tantrum.

“Brendon,” The teenage girl watching the toddlers sighed.

“Hold on, Angie.” Brendon muttered, pushing open the front and allowing Zach to enter.

“Hello, Zach,” An older woman smiled, taking his suitcase, “and Jon, what a surprise.” She smiled brighter, “Will you be staying for dinner as well then?”

“No, ma’am.” He shook his head, shifting Sarah to his hip, “I was just saying Hello.”

She smiled, “Well you’re welcome anytime, dear.”

He nodded.

“And who’s this, Brendon?” The woman smiled towards me.

“This is my sister Parker.” Zach introduced, “Parker, this is Brendon’s mom, Grace.”

“Oh, hi, dear.” She smiled, “May I have a word?”

I nodded, glancing at Zach over my shoulder as she took me into another room.

“You have a nice house.” I commented.

“Thank you,” She smiled, before offering me a seat at an island in the kitchen. She sat in a barstool across from mine and scooted in, “So, tell me how long you need us to watch Zach.”

“Oh,” I muttered, “I’m not quite sure yet. It definitely will not be more than a week, but probably at least three or four days.”

“Alright, dear, and do you mind if I ask why?”

“Why what?” I squinted.

“Well, I asked your brother what the occasion was, and he said he didn’t know.”

“Oh,” I squinted, “Don’t tell Zach, I don’t want him to know this, but I just had some trouble with our rent, and I lost our apartment. I’ll have it back soon.” I assured, “I just need someone to watch Zach for a few days while I work on it, and I can pay you for food and such if you need me to.”

“Nonsense, dear.” She shook her head, “Do you need any help, though? If you do you can always come to us. We’re willing to do what we can.” She smiled, and I returned it shaking my head.

“We’re fine, really. This was just an incident with the landlord, and I just need to find a new apartment complex. It’s alright, but thank you.”

“No problem, dear.” She smiled again, and I see where her son gets it from, “Alright, we’ll take good care of Zach, just let us know when you need him home.”

“Thank you.” I smiled, gratefully as I exited the kitchen, winding my way back through the hallway as a little kid, probably about eight or so, ran past me.

“Hey, Jon’s going to take you back to,” Zach paused, “Wherever you need to go.”

“He doesn’t need to,” I squinted, looking at Jon, who was still holding the little girl.

“No, really, it’s fine.” Jon offered.

“Alright,” I nodded, “Stay safe, alright?” I told Zach. He nodded.

“Thanks so much for tolerating him.” I told Brendon, “If he gets too annoying just lock him in your closet.” I smirked, glancing at Zach, who was glaring at me.

“I’ll remember that.” Brendon nodded as Jon and I exited.

“Hey, Sarah, I’m gonna go.” He told the little girl.

“No!” She protested, her eyes scrunching up.

“I have to go home.” He told her starting to set her down.

“No!” She repeated, voice getting squeakier. She didn’t let go of his neck, causing him to have to crouch down to the ground.

“Sarah!” The girl on the lawn –Angie- called, “We’re going to try to get the kite to fly.”

The little girl gasped, wide, wet eyes flying to Jon. He laughed.

“Jon!” She said, “Angie said we could fly a kite!”

“Alright,” He nodded, “Go on.”

She let go of his neck running into the garage behind Angie. Jon looked at me.

“Go.” He said hurrying down the yard towards his car. I hopped in the passenger seat, and he started it up turning quickly down the road.

“How many sibling does he have?” I asked, glancing back at the large house.

“I don’t remember,” Jon mumbled, “I think about twelve, maybe fourteen. The oldest is married with a few kids I’m pretty sure.” He shrugged.

“Wow,” I muttered.

“Yeah,” Jon laughed, “Where do you need to go?”

“Oh,” I squinted, “Uhm, could you take me to a Starbucks, whichever one is closest works.” I shrugged.

“Good choice,” He laughed, “I have work in half an hour.”

“Oh,” I muttered, “Well I don’t want to make you late,” I started.

“No, no,” He cut me off, “I work at Starbucks.”

“Oh,” I squinted, “I’ve never seen you there.”

“Which one?” He laughed, “There are about twelve in the same span of a 20 minute drive.”

“That’s true.” I agreed.

“Yeah, but back to Brendon’s family, I think the oldest is twenty-five.”

“Seriously? And was the little boy in the yard hers? Or is that her grandchild?”

“No, those are hers.” Jon laughed, “Probably her last.”

“So she’s been having kids for twenty five years.” I squinted, “How old is she?”

“I think she’s forty five.”

“She started having kids young.” I raised an eyebrow.

“Yeah, her and Boyd –Brendon’s dad- were high school sweethearts or something. They married in their first summer out of highschool and she got pregnant in the middle of college.”

“That’s so,” I paused looking for the right words, “like the typical family.”

“Yeah,” Jon laughed, “Though I can’t say much, my parents are total hippies,which figures since my grandpa named my dad Rain. Anyway, my dad yelled at my mom’s parents when they said he couldn’t marry her at age 17. They drove to a chapel and made it legal right when they turned 18, both still in their senior year.”

“Wow,” I squinted, “And they’re still together?”

“Yep.” He nodded, “It’ll be twenty nine years in December.”

“That’s insane,” I paused, “My dad was a jerk.” I shrugged, “I mean, I didn’t really know him. He married my mom, and kept cheating on her, then he left her when she got pregnant with Zach.” I shrugged, “She was diagnosed with cancer and paranoid schizophrenia when Zach was six. She died three years later.”

“Wow,” Jon muttered.

“Oh,” I mumbled, “Sorry, didn’t mean to make things awkward.”

“No, no,” He shook his head, “I’m just wondering why there are people like me and Brendon and Spencer who have relatively normal lives, and then there are people like you and Ryan who have to take care of your families before most people can even take care of themselves.”

I shrugged, “Life would be boring if everyone lived the same.”

“I guess.” Jon muttered.

“What’s up with Ryan? He stayed with us one night, but Zach didn’t tell me why.”

“Oh,” Jon muttered, “His mom left him and his dad when he was seven. She told him that he was coming with her, and then she got up really early grabbed her packed bags and started putting them in the trunk of her car. Ryan woke up and came out telling her that she was taking him with her, and she made George –his dad- come out and hold onto him so he wouldn’t run after her car.”

“People are so messed up.” I muttered.

“They are.” He nodded, as he pulled into a employee parking spot behind the Starbucks, turning off the car, and getting out.

“Thank you so much for the ride.” I told him as he helped me lift my suitcase, laptop case, and purse out of his trunk.

“No problem.”

---

I sat in Starbucks waiting for a reply to the emails I sent out this morning. I got one, got excited, and read it only to discover that the guy was busy tonight. After hanging out for an hour longer I packed up my laptop, and exited, giving a small wave to Jon who was wiping down some tables, before walking quickly down the street.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright, I really considered leaving this chapter out, because it's kind of unnecessary considering these characters -Zach's friends- aren't all too important. No offense to them. :D

So, I cut this chapter short. I have about 3,000 words going on about Parker, but I decided the story was more complete if I included this chapter. Then you understand a little more about the backgrounds of everyone. :D

Hope it wasn't a bore, I still think it's a random chapter, but I hope that it makes you appreciate the extra characters a bit more. :)