I Swear This Time I Mean It

I'll Be Your Memories

Holly woke up and thought it was just another normal day. She dragged herself to the shower and then dressed casually in a pair of jeans and a dark red v-neck shirt. Her hair wasn’t cooperating the way she wished it would so she blow dried it and threw it into a ponytail. She wasn’t feeling very pretty but she figured she didn’t’ have anyone to impress so it didn’t matter.

She shrugged and shuffled her feet down the plush carpeted hall. The apartment was way too quiet. This was the quiet she had to deal with when the boys were on tour. She hated it. But the boys were home and that meant it was never quiet, even if it was even something in the morning. She was positive they’d all spent the night at her and Alex’s apartment.

Then she entered the small living room. Jeremy was sprawled out on the couch. Jake was in the recliner with a major neck crick in the making. Brooks was on the floor, in front of the TV. All of them were passed out. Holly shook her head and smiled as she passed them to go to the kitchen. That's where she found her roommate making coffee.

"How do I survive without you, Alex?" She sighed and went straight for the cupboard with cofee mugs inside.

"You get by, my dear Holly." He responded and smiled at her over his shoulder.

"Oh, but just barely." Holly threw her head back dramatically as she clutched her favorite mug to her chest. Alex shook his head as he took the cup from her and filled it with caffeine.

“What’s your ass doing up so early anyway?” He questioned as he handed the coffee back to her.

“Work,” she mumbled as her lips glued to the ceramic and the hot liquid slipped down her throat.

“That’s right. I forgot you were a working lady now.” He teased and hopped up onto the counter. “How much is it you cost again?”

She shot him a quick glare as he laughed. “You’re a jackass and a douche bag rolled into one.” She went to the fridge and pulled out an apple. “Where’s Derek?”

Alex rolled his eyes. “Of course you noticed him missing.” He scoffs while she arches up her eyebrows.

“What does that mean?” She rolled the apple in her hand, feeling for any soft spots.

“Oh brother,” he sighed and stared down at his own coffee.

“Last time I checked, I wasn’t your brother.”

“Come on, Holls, don’t tell me you’ve got your eyes closed shut to this whole thing.” Alex only received another confused expression from her. “Alright Holls, you might want to sit down for this.” He said it seriously while she set the apple and mug down on the counter.

“You’re a fucking weird kid.” She muttered as she jumped up onto her side of the counter. “Now what is it you have to tell me?” She tilted her head and picked her coffee back up.

“Holly,” Alex started with a deep breath. He looked so grave, she was starting to worry. “You’re in love with Derek.”

She almost chocked on the warm liquid. Her eyes widened as she swallowed hard. “I am not in love with Derek!” Her voice went up and he smirked. She felt the need to add more to her defense. “Derek’s my best friend.”

“Oh my god, you are denying it!” Alex put his head in his hands and shook it side to side slowly.

“I’m not denying anything.”

“Jesus, Holls! What’s the first thing you noticed when you stepped into that living room and saw the guys? Huh?” Holly bit her bottom lip and dropped her gaze to her feet. “I bet you my life it was ’hmm, Derek’s not here’ or some kind of variation.”

“He’s my best friend.” She mumbled under her breath and he continued like he didn’t hear her.

“You want to know where Derek is?” She didn’t dare nod because of his tone. “He went to get our mail.” Holly’s eyebrows scrunched together.

“He walked all the way to the office to get our mail?” She didn’t even walk that far. Usually she drove her car to the mailboxes when she got home from work. And it wasn’t even his mail!

“Yep, know why?” She raised her eyes to his now that his voice had calmed down. He looked amused as she shook her head. “Because I told him you wanted it.”

“Why’d you do that?” She switched her coffee for the apple, figuring it was best not to be holding liquid for this conversation.

“Because I was too lazy to get it myself.” She rolled her eyes and scoffed. “But that’s not the point. The point is the poor boy is walking almost a mile in the blistering Florida heat for you.” She was about to argue that it was only seven something so it wasn’t that hot, but Alex interrupted. “Because he loves you.”

Holly took a deep breath. “Derek is my best friend and I am his best friend. We love each other but we are not in love with each other, alright Alex?”

“But–,”

“But nothing! We’re changing the subject.” She hopped off the counter and put her cup in the sink. “If you get your dirty clothes together and leave them in the living room, I’ll wash them with mine tomorrow.”

“Yes, mom.” Alex commented sarcastically as he saluted her. She rolled her eyes and stepped toward him to kiss his cheek.

“Catch up on some of that well deserved rest you guys need.” She smiled and ruffled his hair before leaving.

“Bye Holls!” He shouted and she flinched as she stood in the living room. The sleeping boys didn’t even stir.

Holly sighed with relief and continued to the hall. She slipped on her black flats and grabbed her keys, with her wallet attached, from the hook. The door squeaked open and she squealed from surprise. Derek stood on the other side, grinning at her.

His eyes focus on her shoes and keys and his grin drops to a frown. “Where you going?” She smiled at the sight of him and instinctively placed her hands at the sides of his neck, dragging him down so she could kiss his cheek.

“I’ve got work, doll. I’ll be back around four or five.” He gave her a slight smile as he straightened up and pulled her into a hug.

“You should come over to my place after work so we can have a Winters and Sanders movie night.” He rested his head on top of hers and breathed in her melon scent.

“Sounds like a plan.” She mumbled as she closed her eyes and let her head lean against his chest. His body was so warm. It comforted her in a way nothing else could. Alex’s words repeated in her mind.

“Okay, I’ll see you then.” He kissed the top of her head and let her go regretfully.

“Will you tell Alex that I probably won’t make it home?” She asked as she took a step out the still-open front door.

“Sure thing, sweetheart.” He waved and smiled, savoring the glow in her face before she turned away. He watched her until she got in her car and drove away. Then he sighed and shut the front door.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment if you think I should win ; ) Attire.
xooxEmber