Sequel: Obsticles

Random Thoughts

Eleven

Emily still didn’t eat, and she couldn’t sleep when she would get home. Grissom had his hours rearranged to be with Emily at night since she would call him at 3 in the morning sobbing for nightmares.

But, when he wasn’t able to rearrange his hours, he sent one of his Nightshift CSI’s to be with her for her every need…hugs especially.

Emily’s speech therapy was helping her, though she couldn’t talk, noises began to come out of mouth. She could scream, and sob.

Nick was off, and he didn’t even have to be asked as he drove away from the Crime Lab and towards Grissom’s house.

________________________________________________________________________

Nick watched Emily sleep quietly, he knew it was only a matter of time before she would wake up crying and screaming from her nightmares.

Grissom never wanted to push the subjects of what her nightmares were about, but Nick figured he could find out what her chronic nightmares were about.

Nick closed the bedroom door and walked into the kitchen to make coffee for himself.

He looked at the oven clock while he prepared the coffee, 11:30.

________________________________________________________________________

Nick sat at the kitchen table with his third cup of coffee, he wasn’t going to sleep through one of Emily’s panic attacks, nope, not him.

Warrick called several times to see if she ‘panicked’ yet, but Nick couldn’t give Warrick any updates.

It was 2:45 A.M and Nick was slowly unable to keep himself awake even after 5 pots of coffee as his head touched the edge of the couch while watching a terrible soap opera.

Nick’s eyes began to drop, the screen of the TV began to blur as his Brown eyes began to close when the most hurtling scream came out from the back hallway.

“I’m awake!” Nick yelled, falling off the couch and rubbing his eyes.

The screaming alarm clock that Emily was began to worry Nick as he got off the floor and walked into Emily’s room.

Emily was sobbing as she sat up in her bed, she couldn’t find her Teddy Bear anywhere as she continued to cry.

“Ok, alright…calm down.” Nick said, holding Emily close.

Emily held onto Nick as he leaned her back into the bed, looking on the other side of the bed to find the stuffed animal on the floor.

“Alright, look…I got Bear!” he said, handing the bear to Emily as he held her closely while she started to relax.

Nick stroked her hair “Relax, it’s alright…it was just a dream, I’m here!” he told her, calming the teenager down.

He didn’t know how Grissom could live with this routine day in and day out.

________________________________________________________________________

It had been awhile, but Emily began to come back to the lab slowly. The nightmares still didn’t stop, but her communications skills were getting better.

Grissom began to take Emily to therapy, hopeful that it would sort out the reason for her nightmares, and help the both of them significantly.

However, Grissom discovered a rude and dark side in Emily as the weeks went by.

Emily could only saw a few sentences, and struggled with a few words. However, a switch had been flipped on her, causing her to become violent towards others.

She had attacked Greg in the lab, making him scream like a girl, which both Warrick and Nick both thought was funny, until they saw Greg get a bloody nose.

The teenager then attacked a girl at school, causing a negotiated punishment of detention for a week instead of being suspended, thanks to Grissom.

Emily had also attempted to attack Catherine, but that’s when Catherine and Grissom both discovered what had caused the switch-flip in the first place.

If only they had told Ecklie.

Emily and Nick were in the hallway, talking while Emily enjoyed a nice snack of Yogurt, the CSI was trying to help Emily say the word ‘stop’ since he knew the word was become her favorite word now-a-days.

“St—st—st-o…no.” Emily said, enjoying a spoonful of Strawberry Yogurt.

Nick chuckled “Aw, c’mon, Emily. You can’t give up that easy! Let’s try it again: Stop.” He said.

“EMILY!” Ecklie yelled, forcing both Emily and Nick to turn in his general direction.

Ecklie was lunging towards her, in an aggressive matter, which was the reason why she would begin to attack others around her.

“St-sto-stop!” Emily yelled, throwing her yogurt on Ecklie as he got closer to her.

Nobody could believe what just happened as Ecklie stopped in his tracks and looked at the Strawberry yogurt that was all over his suit as the container hit the ground.

The lab techs stuck their heads out their doors and saw the aftermath of the terror that they all called “Hurricane Emily”.

Greg stuck his head out, shocked to see the aftermath of Emily’s actions. Ecklie just stood there, staring at the young girl waiting for something to happen as Emily glared at him in return.

Nick turned to Emily, shocked as she continued to glare at Ecklie “Say you’re sorry…” he said.

“No.” Emily said, one of the few words she could say.

Nick began to become flustered “Say-you’re-sorry!” he said.

“NO!” Emily yelled, pulling herself out of Nick’s strong grasp, running away and out of the lab as everyone watched her and the scene she had made.

________________________________________________________________________

Emily sat against the fence of the ‘garden’ at the lab, the sun was setting as she covered her face as people walked by.

Ecklie sat next to her with the empty yogurt container.

He sighed “…you don’t have to scared, and be threatened by everybody,” he said, looking over at Emily, who slowly looked at him.

“If guys like Paul Millander can’t take you down for the count, then nobody can, and if you just realized that he’s not coming back to get you…then everything will run more smoothly for everyone, okay?” Ecklie went on to say.

Emily nodded as she looked at Ecklie.

“Believe me when I say that most of the people in the lab are more afraid of you, than you are of them…” Ecklie said, patting her thigh before handing her the empty container and going back inside.

Emily looked at the container…maybe Ecklie was right, for once.