Sequel: Obsticles

Random Thoughts

Two

She stormed into the lab with tears threatening to fall down her cheek. Where else could Emily Grissom go without getting bombarded of questions such as “What happened?” or “Do you need to talk?”

Greg looked up from his microscope to see Emily, her face away from him before he dug his eyes into the scope again.

“You alright?” he asked.

“NOT NOW NEWBIE!!” she yelled, a tear falling down her cheek.

Greg looked up from his microscope shocked, he had been working here for only a month and Emily Grissom never yelled or screamed at anybody or him.

“…it’s Greg,” he muttered quietly.

Emily turned around in anger “Excuse me?” she hissed.

“My name’s Greg.” He whispered, looking back down at the microscope.

Emily sniffed, her tear stained eyes and cheeks showing themselves as she calmed down “I’m sorry.” She said as she walked over to the microscope.

Greg nodded “What’s going on?” he asked, looking back at the microscope again, comparing evidence.

“My dad,” Emily muttered, sitting down on the stool next to Greg.

The lab rat nodded “Uh-huh…you guys get into a fight?” he asked.

Emily shook her head “…he puts everything before me. It makes me so mad because all he cares about is work and his bug collection.” She told him.

Greg sighed “…maybe if you grew another set of arms he’d be a little more interested.” He said, trying to cheer her up.

He looked away from the microscope to see Emily glaring at him “…sorry…” he said. “Well, what do you like to do?” he asked.

Emily thought about it for a moment, imagining her favorite thing to do “…I like to blow shit up…” she said subconsciously, not realizing what she just said.

Greg laughed “Are you serious?” he asked.

“I like Chemistry, I like experimenting, I like using my hands and answering question: like, why do men always think about sex?” Emily said.

Greg thought for a moment “I don’t know, maybe you should open up a text book.” He said, nudging her for a moment “But…you’re a girl, and you’re Fourteen.”

“Fifteen, I’m Fifteen…” she said.

Greg shook his head “NOO, you’re Fourteen!” he argued.

Emily rolled her eyes “I’ll be Fifteen next week.” She said.

“Whatever, look, Emily, I don’t know what’s going on between you and your dad, but I’m pretty sure he loves you. Even if you don’t look anything like him.” He said, with a goofy smile on his face.

Emily sighed “I’m adopted.” She said.

Greg nodded “…right…I forgot about that.” He said, covering his butt.