Sequel: Obsticles

Random Thoughts

3 (Part One)

Emily had taken a break from going to the lab on a Wednesday afternoon, she was 16 and her carefree attitude made the people around her nervous.

She was finishing her Physics homework when the doorbell rang, she looked at the clock on the wall, it was only 3.15 and nobody ever came to the house, including her friends.

Emily sighed as she put her book down and got up from the floor, she walked towards the door where someone began to knock on the door as they waited for Emily to answer it.

The Maple door swung open and Emily couldn’t believe what she was looking at.

Identical features with the same piercing blue eyes with dyed raven black hair staring back at her, the ‘Joan Jett’ looking girl on Emily’s front porch took in a deep breathe as she looked at her twin.

“…can I help you?” Emily asked, just as surprised.

The girl took in another deep breathe “Emily Grissom?” the girl asked.

Emily nodded “Yeah?” she said, worried of how everything would end up.

“My name is Veronica, Veronica Shepard. And I’m your twin sister…” she said, looking at Emily with all seriousness.

Emily didn’t know what to do as she looked Veronica up and down several times “Well, I’m sorry, but I’m an only child.” Emily said, before closing the door.

“Oh my god,” Emily whispered, leaning against the door and turning to the nightstand table with the phone sitting in its cradle. Who was she going to call, who COULD she call after an event like that?

Nick answered his cell phone, he didn’t recognize the number but he couldn’t refuse a phone call “Stokes,” he said.

Emily told him everything, about how she probably hallucinated the whole thing but couldn’t be sure. Nick agreed to come over with Warrick and help her chill out.

Though, the following events would make for a very long and tragic night.
_______________________________________________

Nick was on the phone with Grissom, while watching Emily play cards with Warrick as he explained to Grissom that he thought Emily had had a nervous breakdown, or better yet, had something slipped in her drink.

Grissom and Nick talked for awhile before the doorbell rang, everyone turned to the door as Nick cleared his throat.

“Uhh, Grissom, let me call you right back.” He said, before hanging up his cell phone and walking towards the front door.

Warrick and Emily halted their game of 21, and watched Nick open the door to see two people at it, the ‘twin’ and an older woman.

Nick looked at Veronica, he looked at the older woman “Yes?” he asked, almost stepping out onto the porch.

The older woman’s grim look didn’t keep Nick at bay “My name is Bonnie, and this is my estranged niece, Veronica. We’re here to see Emily.” She said.

“Well, I’m sorry, Emily is currently indisposed at the moment and can’t come to the door.” He said, looking inside the house, giving Warrick a signal to ‘hide’ Emily from the view.

Bonnie sighed “I’m sorry, and who are you?” she asked, her snooty tone made Nick suspicious.

Nick smirked “My name is Nick Stokes, and I work with the Las Vegas Crime Lab. I’m currently Emily Grissom’s guardian while her father is at work…now I’m telling you to please, leave.” He said.

Emily couldn’t help but listen from the kitchen, she turned to Warrick as she began to shake from the fear of everything.

Warrick held Emily closely as she listened closely to Nick begin to argue with Emily’s ‘aunt and twin sister’.

“GET OUT OF HERE!” Nick yelled, slamming the door as he walked into the kitchen, Emily was in shock and Warrick was trying to keep her under control.

Nick sighed “You alright, Ems?” he asked.

Emily shook her head “This can’t be happening, somebody’s looking for me…somebody’s tracking me down.” She explained to the CSI’s in her house.

Warrick sighed as he sat Emily down at the kitchen table “…you mean, you’re not curious as to who your mom is? Or if you have any siblings?” he asked, sitting down next to her.

Emily shook her head, she crossed her legs “I’m quite content with my life, Gil Grissom and his team of misfits are all I need,” She said, taking in a deep breathe “I just, I don’t get it. Why look for me when there’s a bigger fish to catch?” she asked.

Nick smiled “Emily,” he asked, Emily looked up at him “You wanna go get some pancakes?” he asked.

“Pancakes would be really nice,” she said, slowly getting up from the table with Warrick who smiled at her.

________________________________________________

It was a few hours later, the three of them were laughing in a booth at a diner while attempting to literally eat every bite of their meals.

Emily laughed as Warrick teased her about her long brown hair “Yeah, you can just pin it up like this,” he said, grabbing her hair and pulling it up as high as he could “…you’d be adorable!” he said.

Warrick laughed as he pushed around his bacon for a moment, Nick smiled as he looked at Emily “So, Emily, you got an idea about what colleges you wanna go to?” he asked.

“I don’t know, dad wants me to go to an Ivy League school.” Emily said, pushing around her last half-eaten pancake.

Nick cocked an eye brow “Yeah, but aren’t those schools on like the other side of the country?” he asked.

Emily shrugged her shoulders “Maybe he wants to get rid of me for a couple of years?” she asked, taking another sip at her coffee.

Nick shook her head, about to comment when his cell phone began to ring “Hold that thought,” he said, pulling out his cell phone from his pocket.

“Stokes,” he answered, he was a bit taken back by whomever it was on the other end “What? Gil, what are you---?”

Emily and Warrick looked at each other, then at Nick who stared right at Emily “No, she’s not…NO, she’s not Gil…*Grissom*…she’s not! Grissom, I’m looking right at her!...Grissom?...Grissom?” he asked before hanging up the phone.

Nick looked out the window for a moment to think, Emily bit her lip “Everything okay?” she asked.

He was silent for a moment “…I think we need to go to the lab.” He muttered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wanna know what happens next? What Grissom was talking about? Comment and you shall receive part 2!