Those Will Be The Best Memories

one

There was just something about a shootout that got him all riled up. He was never a shooter, but it didn’t phase his enthusiasm. Toews, Kane, Versteeg, and Hossa would all go up and shoot, and he would cheer for his teammates whether they won or lost. He cheered for his goalie for every shot he stopped, and he cheered for the one shot that creeped by the opposing goalie, giving his team the win.

He skated out on the ice with the rest of the boys, and give the stick salute to the fans; letting them know they were thankful for them being there. They celebrated on the ice, crowding around the scorer and high fiving each other as the opposing team left through the away door. The fans then started to leave, hoping to beat the rush out and maybe get a t-shirt they told their kids they’d ‘get after the game, depending on the rush’.

The team eventually skated to the door, all rowdy and talkative, one by one heading down the hallway to the dressing room. Coach greeted each of them, telling them what a good game they played, and giving them a pat on the back. They walked to their respective cubbies, someone turning the music on, and slowly started getting undressed.

The media poured in all at once, crowding around the top shooters of the night, especially their shootout winner. The team joked around with each other, and watched others as they did their interviews, cutting into the screen or adding their comments. A few reporters trickled along to the other players, asking a few questions about the game, but shortly after, the locker room was left to the Hawks.

Once the reporters left, they started to dress quicker; pulling all of their equipment off, taking a quick shower, and pulling their suits back on. During a winning game, the locker room was full of smiles and jokes, but when they lost, a cloud seemed to float over every player and coach. Luckily, there was no cloud today and only a bunch of smiles and the sounds of laughter.

The players, one by one, started to leave, carrying their equipment bags to their cars, and giving their buddies a ride if they needed one. Late games were the worst as it seemed as if every Hawk was going to fall asleep and many cabs were called to get the players home safely. It wasn’t too bad tonight though, with a 10:30 pm ending, and every player seemed fully capable of make it home.

He walked out of the building, a smile on his face and his equipment bag heavy on his shoulder. He tossed his bag into the back of his truck, and climbed into the driver’s seat, anxious to get home. He turned the radio up loud, letting the rhythm and bass mix in his ears. Driving quickly but carefully, he passed the many houses and parks before turning onto his own street.

His house was dark except for the one light in the living room, and the few lights by the garage. Pulling the car in, he went around to the back and got his equipment bag, closing the garage, and walking into his house. The laundry room door was open so he placed his bag down, took off his shoes, and continued the short walk to the living room.

The television was on, highlights from the game playing over it and he walked around the couch. He slumped down, unbuttoning his suit jacket and threw his arm over the back of the couch and the small woman half lying beside him. She ran her fingers over his chest and pressed a chaste kiss to his lips, smiling when he went in for a second kiss.

She closed her eyes and switched positions, laying her head on his chest. She stretched her legs out on the arm of the couch, and rubbed the arm of the man that rested on her side.

“You played really well tonight babe,” She said to him, her eyes focusing on his scruffy face.

His blue eyes shone with happiness as she mentioned the terrific game his team had just had, “Thank you,” he said sincerely.

She let a smile creep onto her face as his eyes clicked with hers and he stuck his tongue out at her playfully. Rolling her eyes, she stood up slowly, her back cracking slightly as she did, and turned the television off. The only light was now a lamp on her left, which she reached over to turn off as well.

They were now left in the dark, their breathing the only sounds filling the room. She felt his hand on her leg, and a kiss press against her cheek as he pulled her up and started walking in the direction of what he hoped was the hallway to the stairs.

“I’m sorry we weren’t there, Ben,” she said, stopping him in his tracks.

Ben shook his head, “Maddy, I told you not to worry about it. Knowing that you were at home watching was enough for me.”

He kissed her soundly before leading her upstairs.