Those Will Be The Best Memories

twelve

twelve

“So, who are you cheering for?” Madeline asked as she and Ben sat on the big, plush couches in their living room, the television turned to the opening ceremonies for the Olympics.

Ben looked at his girlfriend with a look on his face, “Armenia,” he answered sarcastically as the small country, with only 3 athletes, turned up on the screen.

Madeline rolled her eyes and smacked him lightly on the arm, even though he probably didn’t even feel it, “Don’t be a jackass! I’m being serious; maybe you’ve decided that the United States is your new home.”

Once again, Ben turned to look at his girlfriend with the same look on his face, “…Are you joking? Why would I cheer for anyone besides Canada? Canada is my home!”

“I know it’s your home, it’s my home too! Some of the players change who they cheer for though once they move to a new country,” she continued as Ben just stared at her.

“Alright, fine! Stupid question! You’re cheering for Canada,” Maddy said, putting her hands up in an ‘I give’ position.

Ben smiled and leaned over, giving her a soft kiss on the forehead as she sighed, obviously frustrated. He pulled her closer to him, right into his comfortable chest, and squeezed her slightly.

“Who are you cheering for?” Ben asked quietly as more countries paraded over the television.

Madeline frowned and crossed her arms, mumbling something under her breath. Ben gave a small laugh, “What was that? I didn’t quite catch it?”

Maddy groaned and looked at her blonde boyfriend, “Canada, obviously!”

Ben lightly tapped her thigh as he gave a soft laugh, “Really? Even though we live in the United States?”

Madeline rolled her eyes and tried to stand up, prying Ben’s fingers off of her figure, “Oh shut the fuck up.”

Ben smiled, a large grin that showed his dimples, and pulled his small girlfriend into his chest, wrapping his arms just under her bust and kissing the side of her face a few times.

“I was just joking baby, you know that,” Ben whispered into her ear as the United States marched across their television screen.

Maddy nodded and pulled his large hand up to her mouth, lightly kissing his fingers before entwining her own fingers with his. They sat on the couch quietly watching the United States filter off the screen before Ben gave a little cheer and a fist pump as the familiar red maple leaf flashed across the screen. Madeline immediately smiled as her home country proudly marched, decorated with Vancouver 2010 mittens, hats, and hoodies. There were smiles on everyone’s faces as the crowd cheered and Madeline couldn’t fight the smile that seemed permanently attached to her face.

“Can you imagine being there?” Maddy asked Ben as his grip tightened around her waist.

Ben snuggled his face into her hair, “It would be amazing. So much …. Canadianess.”

“After you retire from your hockey career, and say, you played for the Blackhawks for your whole career, would you move back home or stay here?” Maddy asked, as she ran her fingers along his arm.

Ben was quiet as he thought; it was actually something he thought about quite a bit.

“I don’t think I’d move home to Ottawa, but I’d probably move back to Canada. Probably back to Ontario, a suburb of Toronto maybe,” Ben said as he thought about the possibility of moving back to his home country.

Maddy nodded, “I think that would be wonderful. Anywhere with you is home though. We could move to … Nunavut, and I’d still be happy.”

Ben gave a snort as he thought about his girlfriend dressed in a parka and snow pants, “Yeah, until you got sick and tired of the snow.”

Maddy giggled and smiled, “Yeah, you’re probably right.”

---

Madeline grinned as she looked at her little boy, clad in his I Believe sweater, his Canada toque, and tiny Vancouver 2010 mittens. His blue eyes were shining, a bright contrast to the red hat on his small head, covering his blonde hair.

“You look so cute baby!” Maddy said, pulling her own Canada hat over her black, curly hair.

Matthew giggled, his white teeth shining as he patted his mother on the head, “Same hat!”

Maddy smiled and nodded, poking his nose softly as she stood up and folded her arms across her chest.

“Benjamin! We have to leave!” Maddy yelled out towards the stairs, zipping up her own hoodie as she walked over towards her black Uggs.

Ben thundered down the stairs, pulling the large sweater over his head and torso. He slipped his feet into the short boots as he stared at his girlfriend and son. “You look adorable baby,” he said, grabbing the digital camera that was sitting on the hall table.

“Kneel down with Matt and let me take a picture,” Ben said, motioning towards his son who was sitting on the bottom step of the stairs with his chin leaning on his hand.

“Alright, but then you have to put your hat and mittens on and get a picture with the boy,” she said, sitting down next to her little boy and pulling him flush into her side.

“Smile little man,” Ben instructed, holding up the digital camera and snapping a few pictures.

Madeline jumped up, “Alright, your turn! Put your hat on,” she said, handing him his larger Canada hat and Vancouver 2010 mittens. She took the camera from him and waited until he sat down on the bottom step of the stairs, pulling Matthew into his lap.

Maddy quickly snapped more picture of her two favourite people in the world, before pocketing the camera and grabbing her cell phone; Ben and Matthew walking out the front door.

The small family had been invited to the Sopel house for the first Canada hockey game versus Norway.

The Blackhawks had a two week break while their Olympians were working hard and training, and while they were playing. Even if the rest of the team wasn’t playing, they were still watching.

The Sopel’s only lived a few streets away, and had invited all of the Canadian’s on the team to their house to watch the first team Canada Hockey game. As far as Ben knew, almost everyone, besides the three Olympians, were going to be there.

It was good for Matthew as well, as Brent had three children, one around the same age as Matthew, and would give him someone to play with.

Ben carried Matthew the entire way, and put him down onto his feet as they reached the Sopel’s big house. They walked up the steps and knocked on the door. Almost immediately, they heard yelling, excited yelling, and the sound of footsteps.

“Hey, Ben!” Brent Sopel said loudly, leaning forward to give Ben a man-hug, while he held his youngest daughter in his other arm.

“And the lovely Madeline,” he continued, leaning in to give her a soft hug and a large smile. Brent put down Olivia, his 2 ½ year old daughter, and kneeled down to nearly the same height as his daughter and Ben’s son.

“Livy, this is Matthew, can you say hi?” Brent asked, placing his large paw on her small back.

Olivia smiled shyly but nodded and waved, “Hi Maffew.”

Matthew grinned and waved, his dimples coming out and his blue eyes shining, “Hi.”

“Wanna pway?” Olivia asked, her brown hair messy over her pale face.

Matthew nodded and followed Olivia as they ran into the house.

“So did you invite any of the Americans, or is it just us Canadians?” Ben asked as they stepped inside the house.

Brent laughed, “Only us Canadians. No Americans allowed today.”

The couple smiled and nodded, following Brent into the living where they the loud voices of Brian Campbell, Andrew Ladd, and Troy Brouwer.

It was going to be a long night.
♠ ♠ ♠
had to show a little pride to my country
andd, my background is actually armenian, so they're pretty special to me too :]
if you've never seen what the vancouver 2010 mittens look like, google them
i, of course, have a pair :]
and just to remind everyone;
i have three new stories coming out.
a patrick sharp one shot for a contest
a patrik berglund story
and a cristobal huet story
whichever has the most subs when i finish i'll be your friend will be posted first
so far, bergy's in the lead
i hope everyone is going to be watching the game tonight
round two baby !!