Those Will Be The Best Memories

three

Ben drove home that afternoon with the radio on some top 40 station and the windows done up tightly. There was no way to describe the weather other than shitty. A big, grey cloud had seemed to hover over the heart of Illinois since yesterday and hadn’t given up yet.

It had been spitting all day, and just when Ben had hopped in his truck had the rain started to fall faster and heavier. Pulling up to a red light, he spotted the Popeyes just down the road. Making a quick decision, as the light turned green, Ben drove ahead and turned right into the restaurant.

Turning the car off, he jumped out and jogged to the front door, trying to get out of the rain. The bell rang as he walked in and a woman was leaning over the cash, clicking her nails against the counter.

“Welcome to Popeyes, what can I get you?” She asked monotonously.

Ben ‘hmmed’ for a few minutes, “Can I get the 12 piece chicken with biscuits and 2 cokes, and the 3 piece tenders combo without a drink.”

Without saying anything, the women turned away and started to get his chicken.

Ben leaned against the counter and took out his phone, calling home.

“Ben?” A tired voice asked.

Smiling, Ben answered, “Hi babe. Did I wake you?”

“Yeah, I was napping with the bumble bee.”

Ben rolled his eyes. Matthew was born with a full head of dark brown hair, and over the past couple of months it had been getting lighter and lighter like his own hair had when he was younger. He had two blonde stripes going the width of his head right now, and everyone said he looked like a bumble bee; something his own mother had started.

“He’s not a bumble bee. Anyways, I’m bringing home Popeyes, I hope you haven’t started cooking anything,” He replied.

Maddy started laughing, “He’s a cute bumble bee. Yeah, that’s fine, I didn’t even think about dinner. Chicken tenders for Matthew?”

“Yep. I’ve got to pay though, see you in a few.”

“Love you, bye.”

Ben quickly paid and picked up his bag of chicken, readying himself for the rain outside. He climbed quickly into his truck, putting the chicken in the passenger’s seat, and drove carefully the rest of the way home. He pulled into the garage, grabbed the chicken, got out of the car, closed the garage, and finally opened the door to his house. He could hear the television playing some children’s show, and his girlfriend’s voice.

He slipped his shoes off and walked down the hall to the living room where his little man was sitting dressed in tiny grey sweats and a long-sleeve black shirt. He had a sippy cup in his hands and was focused on the TV where The Backyardigans were playing.

Ben placed the chicken on the coffee table and swooped Matthew up into his arms, giving him a loud kiss on the cheek as he giggled and squirmed.

“Hey buddy,” Ben said, lightly rubbing his back.

“Daddy!” Matthew giggled out, dropping his juice on the floor and placing both hands on the sides of Ben’s face.

“Where’s mummy?” Ben asked, holding Matthew with one arm and bending down to pick up his sippy cup and the chicken.

“In there,” he said, pointing towards the kitchen.

“Is she on the phone?” He asked.

Matthew nodded, “Auntie Shewy,” he said, giving his ‘L’s’ a ‘W’ sound.

They walked into the kitchen, Matthew with his sippy cup again, and Ben placed the chicken onto the table. He then walked over to Maddy and kissed her cheek quickly giving a quick, loud ‘Hello’ into the phone to Maddy’s sister Shelly.

Madeline smiled at him, and put up one finger, indicating she’d be one more minute and then they could eat.

Ben put Matthew into his high chair and walked over to the cupboards, taking out two plates and one of Matthew’s plastic plates. He put them all on the table and started opening the bag, putting Matthew’s chicken tenders on his plate and putting it in front of him, but waiting, himself, to eat until Madeline was finished on the phone.

“Alright Shell, I have to go. Ben brought food home and he’s ready to eat. I’ll talk to you tomorrow, love you,” She said, smiling, and then hanging up the phone.

She was dressed in black leggings, a white tank top, and a grey cardigan, and walked over to Ben to give him a quick sweet kiss on the lip. He surprised her by pulling her down into his lap – his hands tight on her hips – making her giggle and try to stand back up.

“Don’t be silly, you can’t eat with me in your lap,” she said, getting up and sitting across from him, stealing a fry from her son’s plate.

Ben gave her a small smile, “If I really wanted to, I could do everything with you in my lap.”

Madeline rolled her eyes, “Ha, ha. Now eat.”

With that said, the small family started eating, while Ben asked Madeline how her day was and more about Matthews’s appointment. Matthew would but into the conversation when he remembered something that he wanted to tell his father, but otherwise ate his chicken tenders and fries quietly and contently.

“Daddy, want out!” Matthew whined as Ben stood up, grabbing his and Maddy’s plates and bringing them to the sink.

“Don’t be a whiner, say please,” Ben said, walking over to his son.

“Please daddy,” Matthew said quickly, looking up at him with his big blue eyes.

Matthew looked like a clone of Ben’s; all of their baby pictures matching up perfectly. From the hair, to the chubby face, to the bright blue eyes that Madeline had a hard time saying no to.

Ben picked Matthew up from under the arms and put him down on the ground as he walked back to the living room, Ben watching him carefully as he sat down and continued watching his cartoons.

The water turned on and Ben turned around to see Madeline doing the dishes. He walked over to her, wrapping his arms around her waist and nuzzling his face into her neck. Maddy tried to ignore him and continue washing the few plates and cups in the sink, but his light kisses on her neck turned into burning nips and sucks, and eventually Maddy turned off the water and turned in his arms.

She wrapped her arms around his neck, “Can I help you, Mr. Eager?”

Ben gave a small cocky smirk, “Mhmm.”

“And what can I do for you?”

Ben moved his hands down to her bottom and squeezed, pulling her up and setting her on the ledge on the counter, in front of the sink. He stood between her spread legs and pushed his plump lips onto hers quickly.

“I’m going to watch TV with Matt, can you make popcorn?”

Madeline’s mouth was stuck opening and closing at her boyfriend’s request. Instead of asking for a quick hand job in the kitchen, like he normally would have, he had just asked her to make popcorn.

“I…Are you serious?” She asked, a disbelieving look on her face.

Ben let out a loud, gruff laugh, his husky voice sending shivers up Maddy’s spine, “I’m joking, baby.”

Madeline rolled her eyes and tried to push his strong, metal like arms off of her waist.

“Aw, c’mon baby, don’t be like that,” he laughed, kissing her lips twice and leaning his forehead on hers.

Maddy started to giggle, “You’re such an idiot.”

Ben started to laugh gruffly again before quieting down and pushing himself closer to her, “Seriously though, we have a few minutes. Handy?”

Madeline started to laugh this time, and finally pushed off the counter moving over to the table with a towel, “Good try, Ben.”
♠ ♠ ♠
and another one.
this is like the first story that just comes freely.
i was going to post it later on, but i'm out to dinner tonight so i thought i'd post it now.
hope everyone likes it !
comments please :]