How Can I Love Him

Tough Love

They kept running then Kelia saw three people like the two from her bathroom and started to fire at her. Before she had a chance to scream, the man she was with grabbed her, put her behind him and shot three times. Each bullet landed on their targets.

"...Thank you," she said and looked at the man.

"No problem," he said then grabbed his shoulder then pulled his hand back to show there was blood on it.

"You're shot," she said and placed her hand on his shoulder to put pressure on it.

"I'll be fine," he said then she ripped off the bottom of her shirt, showing her stomach and lower back, then wrapped the torn fabric around his shoulder.

"I'm the one that got you shot," she said and wiped her hand with the blood on it on her shirt.

"Alright, lets-," he started to say but then stopped when he heard the sirens.

"Do you have to leave," she asked.

"Yeah, I'll find a way to check on you. I promise," he said and placed his fingers under her chin, kissed her right cheek and then ran back towards the alley to his car. Kelia stayed where she stood but then heard the sirens get closer and she looked to see it was her dad's cruiser. A large black truck came out of nowhere and drove towards her dad while three men were firing at him.

"DAD," Kelia yelled then another black car joined, hit the truck in the back and shot at the back tires causing the truck to swerve and the men stopped firing at her dad then the car drove away.

"The man in black," Kelia whispered but then the truck swerved and hit her dad's cruiser with its right side as a gun went off and her dad's windshield bursted into the car.

"DAD," Kelia yelled again and ran towrads her dad's cruiser. The truck remained still and no one moved. She opened her dad's door and saw that he was sitting there with his eyes closed and blood was coming from many cuts and his eyes.

"Dad, it's me," she said and he looked in her direction and groaned.

"Kelia...," he said and she held his hand and cried.

"I'm still here dad," she said and heard the officers moving and doing their jobs.

"Secure the perimeter," she heard Cam say and walked towards her.

"Come on Kelia, the medics need to take him to the hospital," he said as she let go of her father and let him take her away from him.

The medics moved in and got Howard on the stretcher then took him to the ambulance and drove away.

"I want to go to him Cam," Kelia said and looked at him.

"Alright, I'll take you to him but we'll go to the station first. There's blood on your shirt and we need to collect it as evidence," she said and nodded then walked with him to his cruiser while police tape was being put up around her house.

Cam and Kelia got into the cruiser and drove towards the station. Kelia looked out her window and thought about the man in black and placed her hand on her cheek.

"Is you cheek alright," Cam asked.

"Yeah, it's fine," she said and smiled a bit then kept thinking back to the man's eyes and how he protected her like he really cared for her as more than someone he was saving.