Hidden

Blue Flames

But it makes me wonder why. Was Arryn a different type of demon? He DID look human. I’ve never seen a demon that looked like him. Most of the time, they had extra appendages or spikes jutting from their backs or bodies twisted into awkward positions. Or rotting skin that hangs from the bone by mere threads. I shivered at the thought.
I stared at the girl on the water’s surface. How different I looked from only days before, and yet exactly the same. I still had the same wild hair and the same eyes. But I was different. I had dark purple bruises under my eyes like I haven’t slept in weeks. And there was a feral look in those green eyes. Hatred too. My hatred for Arryn and what he has done to me.
Oh how I loathed him. For the lying and pretending, for making me feel things that I’ve never felt before. I thought he was my friend. But he was only using that to get close to me.
But why? I still didn’t know. There have been others like me, though far between. I’m nothing special. Just a regular Forsaken. Heck, there were others who had ventured out to find a cure. I could never do that. I’m a coward. The only thing I know how to do is run away.
That’s not true Lana.
My head whipped around, but there was no one there. I searched the area but saw nothing.
Silly girl, I’m right here, in you’re head. In my head? Wait, that cant be…Arryn. It was hard to tell, with all my thoughts acting as interference.
Yes, its me. I’ve been trying- I cut him off with a volley of angry thoughts. Bitter thoughts.
“Don’t you darn speak to me bastard!” I hissed aloud, hurtling dozens of jumbled insults through my mind.
Wait let me-
“Didn’t I saw shut the hell up! I hate you! I despise you! You are the scum of the earth, lower than dirt, a piece of-”
BE QUIET!! The scream sent a shockwave bouncing off of my head, momentarily stopping all thoughts. When thoughts did start to turn in my mind, they oozed.
Just listen for a moment Lana. I know you hate me, but I did what I did for a reason. And if it wasn’t me, it would be someone else. Someone who would made the pain unbearable. Maybe even rape you. Or sell you into slavery. Death would be a mercy.
“So I should be thankful to you.” I said sarcastically. I still haven’t gotten used to the ESP thing, so tons of thoughts constantly flowed.
He sighed, which was weird, because it seemed to echo and spread like the ripples of water.
Lana, I wont ask you to forgive me. What I did was necessary. I didn’t want to lose you to someone else. The emperor has demons searching for your kind, demons searching for YOU.
“Yeah right. I’m nothing special. Not at all. Just a regular freak.” I said venomously.
You’re much more than that Lana. So much more. Arryn sounded perfectly sincere, but there was that strange tone again. Something I couldn’t quite place. It was almost like…possessiveness.
“Then why don’t you tell me just how special I am.” The words were drowned in sarcasm.
I cant. Not yet. Not until you’re ready.
The hair on the back of my neck stood up. Something was close. Something dangerous.
Lana, get up. Get away from there. Arryn commanded. I instantly sprang to my feet and darted for the forest. But I didn’t get very far before something came charging, something dark with large gleaming teeth.
I nearly fell over when the beast released a deafening roar. The beast was large-no, gigantic. Bigger than even the largest elephant, with fur the color of decomposing flesh. It bared its jagged teeth at me and charged, toppling over trees with a lumbering gait.
I ran. It was the only thing I knew how to do. My feet carried me over broken branches and fallen trees. The beast was close behind. It’s steps were as loud as a stampede, deafening me to any other sound until it was too late. The beast led me to a trap. I was surrounded by a mob of grotesque monsters, staring at me greedily.
The beast closed in from behind, pacing around the mob like a hungry dog ready for scraps.
“Looks like we found a lost little lamb boys.” One of the monsters said, licking the blood soaked blade of a large hatchet.
“Cute little thing too. Look at her shake in fear.”
The mob closed in, each brandishing a deadly weapon. Fear made me freeze. After all, I’m a coward.
One grabbed my arm, another pulled at my hair. They surged at me, hungry eyes and blood soaked teeth too close. Their breath reeked of decaying flesh and it made me want to vomit.
After everything, this is how it ends. I’m going to die by a pack of disgusting demons, eaten alive.
I closed my eyes, thinking it would be easier that way, when I felt something strange. My eyes snapped open, but flames greeted me, blue flames that licked my skin. I felt no pain from the flames, only a gently warmth. It was calming. I wanted to bask in the flames, but god had other ideas.
I was catapulted out of the flames but a lone figure clad in blue. We nearly hit a tree, but the man held out a hand and stopped the impact from reaching me.
“Rey, where are you?” A girl called, her voice light.
“Over here Julie.” My savior said. His voice was deep. Like a rumble. I stared up at his face. He had raven black hair that hung in his face, and bright blue eyes, the same blue as those flames.
I saw someone out of the corner of my eye, a girl with wild purple hair. Another man followed behind her, a lanky man with pale red hair. The two seemed surprised to see me pop out from under Rey’s protective arm.
Julie stared at me in wide eyed wonder, like a kid with a new toy. The red haired man eyes found mine, but he didn’t say anything. I only sensed curiosity.
“Rey, you’re not supposed to bring your girlfriend on an assignment.” Julie tutted, a mischievous smile on her face.
Before Rey could make a retort, I cut in. “Thanks for saving me.” I nodded to Rey, then turned on my heels, ready to make a break for it. Its better for people to stay away from me, that way, we’re both safe.
I should have known it wouldn’t be that easy. Rey caught my arm. I glanced back, looking from one face to another. Rey showed no sign of releasing my arm. They probably had questions or something.
I sighed and motioned that I wanted to sit down. Rey let go of my arm. I slumped against a tree, feeling the bark rake against my skin. But I didn’t care. I’m too exhausted to care.
“So who are you?” Julie chirped, skipping up to me.
“Just some random person you happened to run into.” I shrugged, trying to act as nonchalant as I could.
Julie laughed, but Rey glared at her. She shut up immediately.
“Explain why you’re here then, and why you were being attacked by demons.” Rey focused his attention on me, blue eyes sizzling.
“Just out taking a walk.” I replied.
“In your pajamas?” Rey raised an eyebrow.
“Yes. In my pajamas. It’s the style nowadays. And what are these demons that you speak of, I was thanking you from rescuing me from a fire. Demons, please, there is no such thing.” I laughed. I was hoping to sound convincing, but even I could tell how suspicious that sounded.
“Girl, you are too funny.” Julie laughed and plopped down beside me. “We already know you can see them. See, everyone who can see them has this-Rey, what was it called again.”
“Aura.”
“Yeah, that’s it, aura. Its kinda like a mist, a mist that only demons and slayers have.” She explained, “And you got it girlie. Strange though, your aura is really weak.”
Arryn chuckled. The sound startled me. I wasn’t used to it, someone talking inside my head. It felt weird, uncomfortable.
Julie raised an purple eyebrow. “Don’t worry girlie, we wont hurt cha. In fact,” she stood up and stretched, “we’re going to take ya somewhere safe.”
Safe. There was nowhere for me now. No home.
“Hey, its ok. Really. It’s a nice place, we have a bunch of cool things and we have awesome food.” Julie was trying to cheer me up. Me, a stranger.
I gave her a shy smile. Her eyes lit up.
“Come on.” She hauled me to my feet and pulled me along. The other man stepped beside me and gave me a warm smile. Rey followed quietly, but I could feel his eyes boring into my back. Just what am I getting into now.
♠ ♠ ♠
Tried to update as quickly as possible.
:3