‹ Prequel: We Come Out At Night

We Come Out At Night 2

Chapter 10

Word had come mid morning that Vengeance had pulled through the surgery. His condition was critical and this meant that he wasn’t out of the woods yet, nor would he be for a very long time.

While Vengeance was placed in a private room in the intensive care unit, Ruby had just opened her eyes in another room on the other side of the same unit. Her eyes went right up to the ceiling before she started to look around for a familiar face to explain why she was lying in a hospital bed.

“What happened to me?” She whispered as Brian sat on the edged of her bed and took her hand in his.

“You were shot.”

Ruby swallowed hard and looked up into his eyes. “You’re tired.”

“You got shot and you’re worried about me being tired?” He smiled as he leaned forward and moved the hair out of her face. “I’m fine, don’t you worry about me.”

“What about everyone else?” He knew what she was asking and everyone agreed not to talk about Sammy or the condition that Vengeance was in until they knew he was out of the woods.

“I don’t want you to worry about everyone else. You have to focus on you getting better right now.” She looked at him like she was about to cry.

“I saw them.” Every tear that fell from her eyes, he caught with his thumb. “They were shot too.”

“Yeah,” he nodded. “Everything is going to be ok.”

“Brian?”

“Yeah?”

“I’m going to be late.”

“For what, sweetheart?” He asked as his thumb continued to rub away stray tears.

“We were supposed to meet for kissing lessons” He laughed and kissed her forehead.

“We’ll have plenty of time to catch up on your lessons when you get out of here, don’t you worry about that.”

A nurse had walked in and taken her blood pressure and Brian got off the bed and got out of her way. When the nurse was finished he sat back down and pulled the covers up over Ruby. “I got dressed up just for you.”

“For me? Why?”

“I was hoping to see you at the bar. I made plans to go see a movie on Friday and I was going to ask if you wanted to come with me.”

He smiled warmly and picked up her hand again. “Were you going to ask me out on a date?”

“Yes,” she nodded. “But now it doesn’t matter, I can’t go anywhere.”

“Well, I think you’re sweet and I would have said yes.”

“Really? You’re not just saying that because I’m in a hospital bed?”

He laughed again and cocked his head to the side. “Why wouldn’t I say yes? You know, when you get out of here, we’re going to have to do something about your self esteem.”

“Why are you being so nice to me?”

“Because, I don’t think anyone ever has been nice to you.”

She smiled and tried to sit up, but winced at the pain. “I think you’re the nicest person I ever met, Brian.”

“And I think you’ve got a lot of really good drugs in you right now.” He helped her sit up and put some pillows behind her back and then fixed her covers so that she was comfortable. “I need to shower and get some sleep, if you want me to stay, I’ll stay though.”

“No, it’s ok. Go home and get some rest. I’ll be ok.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes,” she nodded.

“Can I bring you back something later?”

Ruby smiled and rubbed the top of his hand with her thumb. “Could you bring me something more than this paper gown to sleep in?”

“Of course. I’ll be back later.”

Brian kissed her good bye and left her alone. While he was gone she slept and let the drugs take their full effect. He stopped off to see Vengeance before going home.
Walking into his room was hard. He was only allowed to stay with his friend for 15 minutes. Vengeance didn’t regain consciousness in the time that Brian was there.

Tubes were everywhere. In his mouth, his neck, his chest and his arms and every other second or so a faint beep could be heard in the background. It was that faint beeping sound that signaled he was still alive.