‹ Prequel: We Come Out At Night

We Come Out At Night 2

Chapter 16

---------------
Gates
---------------

Over the next week things between Ruby and I were a little different to say the least. She started sleeping in her room again and when she actually spoke to me it mainly had to do with work. This isn’t what was supposed to happen. What I told her wasn’t supposed to drive a wedge between us; it was supposed to make us closer.

I don’t understand girls and I guess I never will. The times that she did manage to look at me, she seemed slightly embarrassed and I never wanted her to feel that way. If there was a way to fix this, I wish I knew what it was. Right now, there were other things happening to keep my mind occupied. Vengeance was home.

We asked him if he wanted to have a memorial service for Sammy and he said no. To look at him now, was to look at someone I didn’t even know. There was hate breeding inside him and something told me that the man we once knew was long gone. Now, it was just a question of how to get him back.

“You’re not supposed to be smoking.” I told him, and he turned his head and glared at me.

“Fuck off.”

Ok, I’m going to let that slide seeing as how he isn’t himself right now. “You want to get a drink?”

He nodded and threw his cigarette butt on the ground before following me in to the bar. When we got there we joined The Rev, Christ and Shadows at a table and they all seemed to be having a serious conversation.

“What’s going on?” I asked as the two of us sat.

London came by the table and set two beers down for Vengeance and me. When she walked away, Shadows turned to me. “Apparently, someone tried to break into the mansion.”

“Who?” I asked before taking a sip of my beer.

“No idea who she is yet. Christ and The Rev found her and put her in the basement.”

I shook my head and here we go again. “What are we going to do about it?”

“No idea yet, but she’ll be damn sorry she did it.” Great, Shadows and Vengeance were in the moods from hell. I know why Vengeance was annoyed, but I had no idea what the fuck was up with Shadows. Unfortunately, who ever it was that was in the basement was going to probably get the brunt of their moods. “I’m out of here; I need to go deal another problem. I’ll be at the mansion later.”

When Shadows left, it became clear what his little problem was and that was Izzy. She’d hardly given him the time of day since the fight she had with The Rev. She even moved herself back into her room and stopped singing. Shadows is a tolerant man, to a certain extent, but I think he’s had enough now.


---------------------
Shadows
---------------------

Fuck this! For the last three weeks I walked on eggshells around Izzy and I’m done with it. I’m no fucking softy and I had enough of this shit. She won’t talk to me, she won’t look at me, she won’t even be in the same room with me.

I gave her a place to live, not to mention got her away from a fucking psycho who nearly killed her. I don’t deserve this. I know I put a lock put on her bedroom door at her request, but fuck that! I was going to give her a piece of my mind.

When I pushed through the door she jumped. It obviously scared her because she hadn’t expected it nor did she expect when I slammed it behind me. There I stood strong and stone faced with my arms folded against my chest. Her face went whiter than it already was and clearly I’d scared the hell out of her.

I didn’t say a word; she knew I was pissed off. Instead of backing into a corner, she got off the bed and cautiously walked over to where I was. She stood there in front of me looking up at my face. I wasn’t going to fall for it, my expression remained unchanged and so did my stature while I looked back at her.

She took another step closer and looked up at me again. Still, I wasn’t going to cave, I continued to look at her with the same stone cold expression that had shaken her when I walked in. Again, she took one more step towards me only this time instead of looking up at me she hid her face in my chest.

I tried to stay unmoved, I really did. Maybe I am fucking softy or maybe it was only when it came to Izzy. I wanted to push her away and yell at her for the way she had been treating me and everyone else lately. Yet, instead of pushing her away, I caved and put my arms around her. For a little while I let her stay like that, but when she looked up at me all teary eyed and about to speak, I pushed her away.

“No” I waived my finger in her face and she took a step back. “You don’t get to cry your way out of this one.” Please don’t cry, please, I’m a damn sucker for tears, don’t you friggen cry! “You can’t treat me like this or my friends for that matter and think that it’s ok just because you hugged me. It’s not, Izzy!” and here they come, the tears. Girls are cruel.

“It’s been three fucking weeks, get over it! I don’t have time for this. I’m not a fucking baby sitter. So, if you want to act like a child, go somewhere else and do it because I am not going to put up with it any more.”

She never took her eyes off me, but the sobs started and I wasn’t finished getting my point across. Sure, I felt bad, but she needed to know I wasn’t easy to get over on. Not this time. “So The Rev said a bunch of shit that hurt your feelings, grow the fuck up! It’s over and done with and no, I’m not taking his side, I gave him hell too, but it’s been three fucking weeks, Izzy! How long do you expect me to put up with this? Believe me when I tell you that there are girls by the dozen just waiting to take your place.” That was a low blow, I know it and I shouldn’t have said it, but I need to get laid.

“So what’s it going to be, Izzy? Are you coming back up to the penthouse or am I calling you a fucking cab?”

Izzy was sobbing so hard now she was shaking. “I’m sorry” she cried and covered her face with her hands. Girls are evil human beings. I grabbed her by the arm and roughly pulled her over to me. I held her so tightly and let her cry. Yeah, I felt a little guilty, and everything I told her had to be said, but she wasn’t calming down. She was still shaking and still sobbing.

I loosened my grip on her and started rubbing her back gently. “Calm down. There’s no more yelling, I promise.” As my hand moved over her back I pressed my lips to the top of her head and slowly, I could feel her breathing return to normal. “Are you coming back upstairs with me?” She simply nodded while she clung to me for dear life. “Ok, come on.” She didn’t let go of me, so I lifted her up and carried her out to the elevator.

Once inside the penthouse, I sat down on the couch with her on my lap. Her head was resting on my shoulders as now she was finally fully calmed down. “I have to go out for a while and take care of something.” She looked up at me while I spoke. The last of her tears were all ready drying on her face. “Why don’t you relax for a while, go sit in the hot tub and I’ll be back later.”

She hugged me with her arms around my neck and I gave her a light squeeze back. I hated to leave after that, but I had to go deal with the situation at the mansion. After lifting her off me and setting her down on the couch, I kissed her lightly and got up.
“I’ll be back as soon as I can.”

“Ok.”

I left her alone in the penthouse at the worst time and that was going to really suck for whoever was sitting down in the basement of the mansion. What Izzy got from me was nothing compared to what this chic at the mansion was going to get.