‹ Prequel: We Come Out At Night

We Come Out At Night 2

Chapter 2

-----------------------
Shadows
-----------------------
I am officially a self-professed asshole. I sat in my office and thought over and over about that little incident with Izzy in the bar. I could have handled it better. I didn’t expect to see her proclaim her love for me in ink especially since I hadn’t been outright with her about my feelings. I just can’t bring myself to say the words.

I know that she wouldn’t do to me what Kiera did, but there was still that underlying feeling that came with being betrayed that made it hard for me to tell Izzy how I felt. I never once held back my feelings for Kiera and look where it got me.

Izzy was everything I could want in a girl and more. She was down to earth, yet had that little wild side that she would bring out when we were alone. She was beyond beautiful although she didn’t think so no matter how many times I told her so. Her voice was angelic and sometimes when we were alone she would sing just for me. I was pretty greedy when it came to her, I wanted her all to myself, but still for all the qualities she had, and everything she has given me, I couldn’t give her the one think I knew she wanted and it only came in the form of three little words. Like I said, I’m an asshole.

I looked up when I heard a knock on my door and I really didn’t want to be bothered right now, but I told whomever it was to come in anyway. I wasn’t expecting it to be Izzy, but sure enough, she stood in the doorway and the smile she had on her face earlier was gone.

“Can I come in?”

“Of course” I held out my arms for her to come and sit with me. I really felt like shit for treating her the way I did earlier.

“Are you mad?” She asked me with down cast eyes.

“At you? Never. I just have a lot on my mind right now.” With my arms tightly around her waist, I squeezed her and made her laugh.

“Not so hard, you’re gonna crush me.”

“Impossible.” I laughed and kissed the back of her neck. “Want to hang out in here with me while I finish up?”

“Yes,” she nodded.

Izzy kept me company for the rest of the afternoon while I rifled through the books and paid a few bills. After doing the weekly payroll, I looked up from my desk to see her reading a magazine. I could stare at her for hours on end and never get bored.


---------------------
Later that night…
Gates’s POV
----------------------

Vengeance and I stayed in the bar for the rest of the afternoon and in to the early evening. There was really nothing exciting going on in the casino and I was starting to get a little bored.

Ruby walked past the bar in a hurry. It was her night off and she was wearing jeans and a t-shirt with her hair pulled back in a ponytail. She didn’t exactly look like she was going for a night on the town, but she was wearing black stilettos.

“Well, I wonder where our little jewel is going.”

“No idea.” I shrugged and set my empty beer bottle down on the bar top. “I let you know when I get back.” He laughed and I winked before following after Ruby.

When I got outside she was already in the parking lot getting into her car. Lucky for me, I had the privilege of having a reserved space right up front. We all did. So, I got into my car and waited for her to drive off. Through the rearview mirror I could see her backing up out of the space and pull out of the parking lot.

I stayed far enough behind her so that she wouldn’t get suspicious. Not that she was bright enough to figure out she was being followed, but you never know, she may just have an epiphany while driving.

She led me all the way to the other side of town away from all the casinos and glitz that made Vegas what it was. I was more curious than ever now. I followed her a little more closely as she turned down Cemetery Road. Odd name for a street, but considering where she pulled into it was fitting. She drove through the cemetery gates and down a path that led to a gravesite. I stopped my car and parked it far enough away so that she couldn’t see me sitting there, but I had her fully in my sights. All of the head stones in this part of the cemetery seemed to have a common theme. Little angels were everywhere and that’s when it hit me, this was the children’s section.

I had no idea why she was here, but I watched her curiously as she got out of her car and approached one of the tiny headstones. She sat before it and placed a small bouquet of white lilies in front of it. It must have been a half hour that she sat there. I could tell that she was talking even though I couldn’t hear her. When she was finished she brought two fingers to her lips and then touched the headstone before getting up and getting back into her car.

When she drove off, I got out of my car and walked over to the grave that she had just been sitting in front of. I knelt down and looked at the headstone. It was very plain compared to all of the others. This one read:

Olivia Breslin
Beloved Angel
Born December 25th, 2002
Deceased December 25th, 2002

This couldn’t be Ruby’s baby, she was too young and if this baby was hers that would have made her 15 when the baby was born and 15 when the baby died. I felt like I was violating Ruby’s privacy in the worst way right now and it didn’t feel so good.