‹ Prequel: We Come Out At Night

We Come Out At Night 2

Chapter 3

----------------------
Gates Continued.
----------------------

I got back to the casino before Ruby did. When I walked into the bar everyone else was already there. I knew Vengeance was dying to know what I found out about Ruby and of course he walked right up to me as soon as I walked in.

“So, where did she go?”

“Nowhere, just shopping.” I lied, I wasn’t going to tell anyone about what I saw at the cemetery since I myself wasn’t even sure.

Ruby walked passed the bar towards the elevator with a bag in her hand. She must have stopped at the store on her way back.

“How come she never comes in to the bar and hangs out with you all?” That question came from London who was standing behind the bar.

Sammy turned around faced her. “Because the guys treat her like she’s not human.”

“Hey! That isn’t true!” Zacky protested.

She stood there and put her hands on her hips. “Oh no? Then why is her room on a completely different floor then the rest of us girls?” None of us had an answer for her. Well, we did, but none of us would speak up and give it.

“Sorry, I didn’t know it was a sensitive subject” London apologized for asking the innocent question.

“Don’t be sorry” Jimmy winked at her.

And as if things couldn’t get any worse, Sammy just couldn’t seem to keep her mouth shut; which seemed to annoy Zacky.

“You guys are just being stubborn jerks. So she fucked up, who hasn’t? How do you know that while I was on the inside, that I didn’t betray you all?”

Every one of us looked at each other and then back to Sammy. She did have a point. “How do you know I didn’t fuck Marco?”

“That’s enough, Sammy.” The warning tone came from Shadows and she turned to face him not showing any sign of fear. This would be reason number one why we hired her as the inside girl.

“Is it? Need I remind you that Ruby was the one who helped me out of The Maker’s Marc?”

Shadows face turned stone cold. He was pissed and trying to control himself because he didn’t like to get angry in front of Izzy. “Get her out of here.” He said to Vengeance and taking his cue he put his hand on her arm and led her out of the bar.

“She did save my life.” Izzy added after Sammy left.

Well that put the icing on the cake now didn’t it? Shadows leaned forward so that his mouth was close to her ear. “Izzy, don’t start,” he warned.

“Sorry,” she whispered.

He put his hands on her hips and kissed her shoulder. “Want to go upstairs?”

“Yes,” she nodded and that was all it took. He lifted her up over his shoulders and walked out of the bar. The last thing we heard was the sound of her laughing. When I said he was sickening around Izzy, I wasn’t joking.

“Well, I think I’m gonna go find me someone to keep me company for the evening” Christ set his empty glass down on the bar and The Rev couldn’t resist teasing.

“The circus is in town, you could probably find a midget or two under the big top. Maybe they’ll even let you join!”

“Fuck you!” He yelled, as he made his way out of the bar and back into the casino.

That left The Rev and me in the bar, third wheel anyone? I knew he wanted some alone time with London and I wasn’t going to stand in his way. “See you guys later.”
The Rev raised his glass at me acknowledging my departure and with that I walked out of the bar.

I had no idea why, but I walked over to the elevator and when I stepped through the doors I pushed one of the buttons. I was playing with fire right now and I probably should just go up to my room. When the door opened I stepped off and walked down to the last door at the end of the hall. I could by all accounts walk right in if I wanted to, but somewhere in the elevator I found my conscience and it told me to knock.

When the door opened, Ruby stood in the doorway in a t-shirt and sweat shorts. “I –I’m not working tonight am I? Am I late?” she scrambled back into the room and went over to the closet to look for something to wear. “I’m an idiot, I must have totally forgotten, I thought I had the night off. I’m so sorry. Are you going to tell Shadows?”

I walked into her room and shut the door behind me. “Well, it IS your night off, so you can calm down now.” I walked over to the end table by her bed where she had a 12 pack of beer sitting minus one bottle that sat open half empty.

“You really shouldn’t drink alone.” I said as I took one out of the box for myself and opened it. Her room was pretty drab compared to the one Izzy had. This was more like a prison cell. It had a bed, an end table, a television, a folding chair, one closet and a bathroom. She was the one who brought in the most money, yet we gave her minimal accommodations.

“So, what are you doing here?” she asked keeping her distance from me. “Are you here to fire me? I didn’t do anything; I promise.” Did we really make her that nervous?

“No, I’m not here to fire you.” I picked up her beer and handed it to her. “You need to calm down.” I sat down on the bed, the mattress was lumpy.

“How can you sleep on this bed?”

“I don’t mind, it’s a bed after all.”

“So, you like this room?” Is she serious?

“It’s better than nothing.” She shrugged. At least she wasn’t ungrateful. “So, is there something you need from me?” I get it; she wants to get this over with. I would too if I were her.

“No, just bored. I knocked on a few other doors, but you were the only one who answered.” I am the worst liar, but she believed me.

“Oh.” She nodded.

“And the fact that you have beer too is a bonus.” This was probably the most I had ever spoken to her since the day we met. “So, what’s on your agenda for the evening?”

“I was just going to start a book I got yesterday.”

“A book huh?” I nodded. She can read. Who knew? “What’s it called?”

“The Outsiders.”

“Ah an oldie but a goodie.” She seemed a little excited that I knew the book. Who didn’t, it was required reading in junior high.

“You’ve read it? I can’t wait! I heard it has Matt Dillon and Patrick Swayze in it!” Oh man. I had to bite my lip to prevent the laugh from slipping out.

“Ruby?”

“Yes?”

“Matt Dillon and Patrick Swayze are not in the book. They’re in the movie.”

“There’s a movie?” She got up and set her empty bottle down and took another beer from the box.

“Yeah,” I nodded.

“Well then why write a book if there is already a movie?” Don’t be mean. Don’t be mean. Don’t be mean.

“I don’t know.” I shrugged. “I don’t get it either” I could play dumb if I had to.

“Want to watch television or something?”

“Sure” It wasn’t like I had anything better to do. She got up and picked up the remote and turned on the T.V. before turning back and looking at me.

“I only have basic channels so we don’t have much to chose from, but I’m sure something is on. We didn’t even give her cable? We really do suck. “Is I Love Lucy ok?” A show about a ditzy redhead?

“Fine,” I nodded. When she turned her gaze to the television I couldn’t help, but wonder if she was being taken advantage of. It was obvious that we were doing it to her, but I wondered if when she was going back and forth between the two casinos, if Marco was doing it to her too. It was also obvious she had no street smarts and no idea that we were treating her so badly. She never complained about it either. So it was possible that she didn’t know Marco was doing it to her either.

“So, Ruby, how do you spend your days off?” I was curious to know if she was going to tell me about today.

“Oh I don’t spend; I’m trying to save my money.” She was dead serious and I had to bite my lip once again.

“I meant, what do you do when you aren’t working?”

“Oh. I don’t do much. Sometimes I go to the beach, or the movies, or to get something to eat, but that’s really it. I’m not a very interesting person.” Really? Because the more she told me the more I needed to know. I wanted to ask the personal questions, but it was too soon for that.

“You go to the movies by yourself?”

“Yeah,” she nodded and looked back to the television. How is it that she isn’t upset by any of this and I feel guilty as fuck? I set my beer down and took out another one.

“I hope im not keeping you from something.” She said snapping me out of my thoughts.

“Nope.” I really didn’t have anything better to do. All the other guys were probably getting laid right about now. “Mind if I open the window?” it was hot as fuck in here.

“Sure, sorry the A/C doesn’t work.” Did I mention I already felt guilty as fuck?

“It’s stuck.” I tried, but I couldn’t pry it open.

She got up and walked over to the window. “You have to bang on it, like this.” She slapped her palm on the top part of the window and loosened it. After that she was able to open it.

“Well, I guess you’re stronger than I am.” I sat back down on the bed while she sat on the windowsill.

It was quiet for a while after. We just sat there watching television not saying much. She seemed to like having some company. Out of the corner of my eye I could see her hand move to her mouth hiding a yawn.

I stood up from the bed. “It’s getting late; I should probably go and give you your bed back”

“Ok.” she nodded and I headed for the door.

“Thanks for the beer.” And with that, I walked out the door.

Well, that was interesting.