Decorus Phasmatis

Chapter 4

“All we need now are some men!” Gina exclaims. We all laugh. I have Gina, Laura and Mandy over for the whole weekend. They came over with me on the bus, night bags in hands we ran down the driveway together.
“Afternoon Mrs Burnett!” they chorus as we burst in through the door.
“Good afternoon girls!” My mother greets us.
“Hi, Mum,” I kiss her cheek.

“Mandy already has a man!” Laura tells us.
“Oh, no way,” Gina leans on her elbow. We are all piled on my bed. “Fess up!”
“Jamie finally asked me out on the weekend!” Mandy tells us softly. She is blushing slightly.
“Good for you!” I say. I look to each one of my friends. They are all individuals. Gina is a party girl. She is Greek, so she has dark hair and olive skin. Her hair reaches down to her waist. It is about the same length as mine. She is short and curvy and has huge brown eyes. Mandy is more shy. She has the ‘girl next door’ kind of personality. She has light brown hair and rosy cheeks. Her eyes are grey and she is very pretty, but so are Laura and Gina. Ah, Laura. She has golden blonde coloured hair that hangs just below her shoulders. Her eyes are blue and her smile is mischievous and playful.
“Let’s try and pull an all nighter!” Gina suggests. I ask my mother and she says it is okay. My bedroom is at the opposite end of the house to my parents, so they won’t be able to hear us, even if we are a bit loud!

Eric: Riley has her friends over. She is always so joyous when her friends are here. She looks fearless, like she could take on anything. Sometimes I think maybe I should appear in front of them all. Maybe then Riley wouldn’t be as scared. Or maybe just Laura; I like Laura. I like Mandy too, but I’m still not sure about Gina. She can be a bit gossipy and naïve when it comes to peoples feelings. I forgive her some when I see what she is pulling out of her backpack.
“Let’s play this!” She lays an Ouija board out on the bed and has already started setting it up. Laura agrees. Mandy and Riley look at each other and nod kind of nervously.

Yes, I think, this is my chance! I can use the Ouija board to communicate without having to reveal myself.

“You go first, Riley,” Gina suggests, “It’s your house!” Riley nods nervously and places her hand on top of Gina’s on the marker. Riley looks at Gina, wonder what she should ask.

“Err, is anyone there?” she asks. I touch the marker and push it to spell out yes. Riley jumps and pulls her hand off the marker.
“Come on!” Gina looks excited. Riley places her hand back on top of Gina’s.
“Are you a good spirit or bad?” asks Gina. I spell out good. Gina just keeps asking questions. She is like a cannon. “Are you the only ghost haunting Riley’s house?” I don’t like the word haunt. I hardly wander the halls making spooky ‘oo oooooooo oo!’ sounds, but I reply yes.

“You’re pushing it!” Riley accuses Gina.
“I’m not!” She pulls away and raises her hands above her head as if that’s proof. Riley has also taken her hands off the marker. I spell out Riley’s name on the board. The room goes silent as they watch the marker. Mandy gasps. Riley looks horrified as she watches the marker moving, what would appear to her as being on its own, spelling out her name.
“What’s your name?” Riley asks bravely. I spell out E-R-I-C. “Eric,” Riley says aloud. It’s as if something in my chest twitches in pleasure. I have waited years to hear Riley say my name, and now it’s finally happened. Nobody asks any more questions so I leave it at that. They sit in silence for a while, staring at the Ouija board as if hoping to catch it moving again.
♠ ♠ ♠
from now on it should get more interesting. There are some major twists a lot further on. if anyone predicts them they win!