Hockey Sticks Banging on Ice

Chapter 1/1

Cheers went up in the crowds as I slammed the guy against the boards. I skated away as the guy got shakily to his feet. One of his teammates skated toward me.

“Hey, you asshole,” He started. I loved it when they got in my face angrily like that. It just gave me even more of a reason to punch him.

“He had the puck. What are you going to do, fight me?” I said tauntingly. He glared at me, and I saw that fire in his eyes. I knew he wanted to drop them, so I started to loosen my gloves while keeping a hold on my stick. “You couldn’t if you wanted to.” That did it. He threw his gloves off, and I tossed my equipment aside.

“Let’s do this, punk,” He said. I could hear the bravado in his voice. He wasn’t confident at all. More cheers went up in the crowds as we circled around each other. I reached toward him and grabbed his jersey. He grabbed mine and we sent warning jabs at each other. I drove my fist into his face and he went down instantly.

“Who’s the punk now, bitch?” I said as the refs pulled us apart. The crowd went wild. I raised my arm up in the air, causing the cheers to get louder. My teammates, both on the benches and on the ice, banged their sticks on the ice as their salute to me. I was so tempted to flip off the other team, who kept sending me glares, but I suppressed it. There were children watching, after all.

----

Toward the end of my penalty, I watched from inside the box as Ryan Miller was standing in our zone, watching the penalty clock and banging his stick on the ice to signal that the penalty was nearly over. I grinned as I got to my feet. The other guy looked ready to take my head off, but I was used to that.

“You’re dead, Kaleta,” He mouthed to me. I grinned evilly at him.

“You really want to go there again, Ruutu?” I asked tauntingly, leaning against the glass. Ten more seconds in the box and I’d be out. “Or are you going to go running to Neil again?” He glared hard at me. The door to the box opened, and I stepped out onto the ice for my next shift.

----

Two shifts after I got out of the box, I was on the ice with Adam Mair. Someone hit me into the boards from behind, and my stick fell onto the ice with a clatter. Mair skated over, yanking the guy off of me and punching him square in the jaw. His stick hit the ice next to mine. I twisted to see that it was none other than Jarkko Ruutu. Anton Volchenkov pulled Ruutu away from Mair, and Matt Ellis pulled Mair away from Ruutu. I got up onto my feet and drilled Chris Neil, who was coming over to hit me.

“Hey!” The ref shouted, coming over to drag us apart. Our sticks all hit the ice as the refs dragged us all to our respective locker rooms. We heard the crowd cheering in our ears as our teammates banged their sticks against the ice in tribute to their fighters.
♠ ♠ ♠
For this contest

Word count: 555