Contact

Freshly outfitted with new engines, computers, and various other systems, a deep-space exploration mission commences. Soon, however, the explorers will find more than they ever expected…

This is a short story, written for one of the other authors on this site (Batbrooke) for her birthday, at her request. It draws inspiration from all over the place, and has a few subtle homages to other works. Bonus points if you can find them all!

In it, a scientific exploration is sent to the stars, testing out various new systems along the way, but it turns out that things may not be as they seem...

Intrigued? Well, you've got to read the story to find out more...
  1. Introduction
    The characters are briefly introduced, as is the general premise of the story.
  2. James and Roger
    A further description of the characters of James the genius, and Roger the AI.
  3. Chronostasis
    The narrator introduces herself in depth, and the systems for which she's responsible.
  4. Mikhail
    Mikhail (the cosmonaut) and his engines are introduced.
  5. Contact
    The crew awakes, to sirens and a surprise...
  6. A Meeting of the Minds
    The two alien races attempt to communicate, leading to a few discoveries, some less pleasant than others.
  7. Psi
    The aliens reveal a talent not shared by most humans, and not entirely compatible with most human minds...
  8. Intrigue
    A revelation even less expected than the aliens takes place, as one of the crew takes a turn for the Judas-like...
  9. Subterfuge
    An already complex situation spirals downward into chaos, with the expected results.
  10. Post-Mortem
    After death, there is something else...
  11. Epilogue
    It's an epilogue...I don't really know what else to tell you...