Sequel: Growing Up

The Connection

Back To California

Opening his phone Zacky read the text message he had just received.

@ 11:30 pick me up @ LAX
Terminal 3 flight 518.
-I’ll be the one in black with puffy red eyes.

Sighing to himself as he sat in silence on Brian’s couch, he quietly put his phone back into his pocket only to take it back out to check the clock. He had a couple hours to spare. Catching Johnny’s questioning gaze he broke the eerie silence,
“I have to pick up Liss from the airport soon.”

“Liss?” Matt asked. “Which Liss?”

“Our Liss,” Brian retorted, “What other Liss would we know?”

“Liss…as in Alissa Eckhart, from when we were kids?”

“ Liss as in Zacky’s Liss,” Johnny corrected

“She isn’t mine,” Zacky sighed “Not any more.”

“Wait is she coming with….” Matt trailed off hoping the boys would know whom he was talking about.

“I don’t know,” Zacky shrugged “She was that one that was supposed to call.”

“We’ll find out soon enough.” Brian said ending the conversation.
*

Glancing out the window as the plane finally landed Liss saw the California she knew and loved. The sun was high in the sky, and the sky as blue as the ocean. Sighing when it was finally time to get off, she grabbed her carry on and pulled on her sunglasses before exiting the plane. After retrieving her suitcase, she started for the exit, when she saw a familiar face waiting for her across the terminal. Turning towards him, she began to slowly stride his way.
Zacky could feel his palms sweating as she noticed him from far away. She looked stunning as usual. A familiar feeling settled itself in his chest. His heart swelled and his stomach tightened as she approached. Everything about her was perfect. From her Christian Dior sunglasses to her Louboutins, she shone with radiance in his eyes. She stopped a foot away from him a slight smile on her lips, as she too took in his appearance.

“Hello Baker,” Her smooth voice came out glorious to his ears. His brain quickly conjuring something witty to say.

“You’re wearing black, but I can’t exactly see the puffy red eyes,” He lamely blurted out.

Pausing for a moment, she smirked before lifting her sunglasses away from her eyes and sliding them up onto her head. He noticed how unchanged yet striking her brown eyes appeared; and they were indeed puffy and red. Offering her a sympathetic smile that she returned, he reached for her suitcase that she gladly let him take.

“My car’s just outside.” He said pausing to look at her again. “You look so different yet completely the same.” He said quietly studying her features.

“Five years will do that to you.” She stated sliding her sunglasses back onto her eyes as she began to walk away and towards the sliding doors that led into the California sunshine.

Sighing, Zacky followed her outside.

Climbing into Zacky’s car, Liss could not help but smile, “You bought my favorite car?”

Shrugging Zacky also smiled, “Maybe.”

“C’mon, you know a black Escalade is my dream,” She said leaning comfortably against her seat.

Zacky just smiled as the radio silently played in the background. A few minuets later Liss asked a question breaking their comforting quiet.

“How’s Gena?” She asked her eyes still closed behind her sunglasses.

“Don’t know,” Zacky honestly responded, “We broke up a while ago, Liss.”

Turning his glance towards her Zacky expected her to continue but she didn’t. She held the same composed expression throughout the entire ride.

Moments later, they were pulling up into Brian’s driveway and stepping out of the car.

Taking Liss’s suitcase from the truck Zacky followed her to the house. Taking a deep breath Liss raised her hand to knock. Before she could, Zacky opened the door and simply stood there waiting for her to enter. Turning back to him with an odd stare, Zacky replied, “We don’t really knock.” Stepping into Brian’s home brought back millions of memories. By instinct, she knew the boys would be in the basement. Her heels clicked against the marble floors as she made her way downstairs, to be greeted by six pairs of eyes. Her heart silently shattered at the pair that was missing.

“Afternoon, boys.” Liss greeted as they all stood to greet her.

“Hey Listerine,” Brian greeted her by her old nickname pulling her into his comforting embrace.

“Hi Brianna Bread,” Lis smiled using his old nickname as well. Stepping back, she was quickly taken into another hug this time from Johnny.

“Missed you,” he mumbled into her hair.

“Really?” She asked squeezing him back. “Couldn’t tell by all those phone calls,”

Johnny blushed at her words, mostly because he knew there were no phone calls made on his part in the past five years. Diverting his gaze away from her, regret filled Johnny’s being.

Turning to the only band member left, she noticed the extreme sadness in his eyes.

“Matthew,” Liss sighed.

Opening his arms Liss acceptingly walked into them inhaling his never changing scent.

“Been a long time…” Matt stated.

“You got that right,” She stepped back admiring his longer hair. The silence that suddenly filled the room only reminded the group more of the one who was not there to join the reunion.

The group was now seated in Brains kitchen, each sipping on various beverages. Placing his beer on his counter Brian glanced over at his former best friend as she sipped her tea. It seems like yesterday that she moved right out of his life. He noticed the different way her bangs fell across her face. Swooped to the side, so careless yet so graceful. Scanning the room, everyone seemed to be occupied with their drinks while one other person also observed their visitor. Zacky’s eyes were glued to her, as if she would disappear if he looked away. Catching Matt’s gaze Brian signaled to the lovesick rhythm guitarist. Matt chuckled nodding, along with Johnny.

“I say we think of a new game, instead of stare the shit out of me until I evaporate.” Liss said smirking looking up at Zacky who began to blush profusely.

The loud ring of the doorbell interrupted the unwanted awkwardness that settled in the room.

“Finally,” Liss sighed standing from her stool heading to Brian’s front door.

“Finally?” Matt asked.

“Expecting someone Liss?” Brian chuckled.

“Weren’t you?” Liss asked glancing behind her before throwing the door open to reveal the last person that needed to be added to complete the group.
♠ ♠ ♠
so i dont have many readers. but im hoping i will get some more soon.
i'd love to hear some feedback.