Sequel: Growing Up

The Connection

First Loves

“Heyya kids, long time no see.” A tall classy woman entered the house smiling widely at all the shocked faces that stared back at her.

“Hey darling,” Liss spoke up first swooping her friend into her arms, who hugged her back just as enthusiastically. “How are you holding up?”

“I'm alright,” she sighed taking off her sunglasses “it’s still not completely sinking in yet.” She added in a whisper. Liss nodded in understanding, while the boys behind her stood in silence watching the two girls reunite. Stepping back Liss allowed the boys to each greet the new arrival.

“Hey Leyna,” Johnny smiled giving her a slight hug.

“Hey short shit,” She greeted patting his head. Rolling his eyes, Johnny stepped back as Leyna moved on to Brian, then Zacky each hugging her as well, until she finally came upon Matt who stood with his hands in his pockets.

“Hello, Matthew.” She greeted with a tight-lipped smile, offering him a handshake.
Matt stared at her hand awkwardly for a few seconds before taking her hand and pulling her into him for a tight hug. Relaxing into the embrace, Leyna rubbed her hand across Matt’s back and he held on to her. Sighing Matt asked into her neck, “Why’d you come Ley?”

“For Jimmy,” She simply said stepping back straightening out her blouse. Her heart ached at the sadness in his eyes.

“Guys, lets go chit-chat elsewhere.” Liss said taking a hold on Johnny and Brian’s elbows leading them into the living room. Zacky followed like an obedient child glancing behind him at the reunion that was about to occur. Falling upon Brain’s couch Johnny sighed stating “That was just plain awkward.”

“Well it has been five years since those two last talked, and I'm pretty sure the last time they did it wasn’t the nicest choice of words.” Brain stated.

Feeling condemned, Zacky’s gaze drifted over to where Liss was perched on the loveseat, and she too was looking at him. Her gaze fell to her lap where her fingers playing with her black skirt. It felt as thought Brain’s words were meant for the both of them as well as Matt and Leyna. The tension in the room only grew from the point on.

“I can tell when we are not wanted…” Brain said. “Come on Christ,” pulling Johnny to his feet both men exited the room with their beer bottles in hand. Silence filled the room as the former lovers stared at each other.

“I don’t really know what to say…” Zacky began looking up at Liss who had kicked off her heels and pulled her legs underneath her.

“There is nothing to say,” Liss snapped pulling out her iPhone checking for messages.

“Liss, you left me..” Zacky started to say which in turn sent Liss over the edge.

“Don’t even start with that crap Baker!” Liss exclaimed “I didn’t leave you,” Liss seethed.

“That’s the biggest fucking lie!” Zacky shot back standing to his feet.

“Is it?” Liss asked standing also, even though her petite stature did not line up with his bulkier one. “Is it really Baker?”

“Yeah it is! And you know it! If you hadn’t left for the damn job we would still be together right now.”

Rolling her eyes Liss stepped closer, “That job is my dream and you know it. I wanted you to come with me, I wanted to make this work, but you’re so damn selfish and stubborn that the minuet I told you, you packed up and you ran to her.”

Zacky searched his mind for something to say, but he sighed defeated. She was right. He overreacted, and blew everything out of proportion and made a drastic decision, losing the love of his life.

“I thought you were leaving me,” Zacky whispered his eyes closing, unable to look at her. “I wanted to get back at you, to make you mad.” He internally winced at his own words.

“Mission completed,” Liss said her voice quivering.

Opening his eyes, Zacky saw the tears that we ready to spill out of his favorite eyes. Turning Liss went to pick up her shoes but Zacky’s held her back.

“Let go,” Liss fussed trying to yank her arm out of his strong yet gentle grasp.

“I never loved her, I never dated her, I ended it with her, the very next day I moved out. Cant you see that I have always loved you?” Pulling her close to him, Zacky added “And I always will.”

Back in the kitchen things were also getting heated.

“I understand its hard seeing me again after all this time, but you could put away your selfish reasons for now, I'm just here for the funeral.” Leyna said slipping off her trench coat placing it on a kitchen stool.

“You think I don’t want you see you?” Matt asked, “That’s the last thing I wanted.”

“Sure doesn’t seem that way,” Crossing her arms over her chest Leyna cocked her head to the side, staring blankly into Matt’s vibrant eyes.

“It’s just…hard. What we had was so unbelievable. Old feelings are dug up, and stuff.” Matt said rubbing the back on his head with his hand.

“Last time I checked, you have a wife. Old feelings should be dead and gone.”

“I know, and I love Val, but you…you know how I felt about you.” Matt sighed stepping towards her.

“Then why’d you let me go?” Leyna whispered.

“You were such a free-spirit, so out-going and fun. Everything about you was spontaneous and wonderful, and that is why I fell so deeply in love with you. But you and I were headed down different paths Ley,” Matt said, “It wouldn’t have worked out if we tried, we wanted different things.”

“I guess in the words of Elvis, you can still be in love with someone and still be completely wrong for them.” Leyna smiled

Matt’s heart began to ache more if possible. He knew that they could have tried to make their love last, but both knew that the relationship was destined to end. They both had different expectations for the future, and no love could possibly hold them together after they had chosen their paths. They had a terrible fight, and from there on, things rolled quickly downhill. They broke up, and found other people. Matt fell madly in love with an old high school flame; And Leyna met a brilliant athlete who she was now engaged too. However, can one ever really get over their first love?
♠ ♠ ♠
soi have gotten some feedback which has made me so happy so thank you all! and i have a lot of readers, and a few subscribers, so pleasecomment. I will update faster if you do.

Hopefully you liked this chapter!