Status: Active

This Could Be All I've Waited For

Chapter 42 - Jess

Jack and I arrived early – we were there before Bianca and Alex. We waited outside for them.
“Is it not going to be awkward with her there?” Jack asked
“Of course it is, I didn’t even want her here in the first place – she has nothing to do with the baby,” I paused to look around and see if they had arrived yet “It’s only Alex that wants her here,”
“Can we find out the gender?” Jack asked, wrapping his arms round my kneck
“No – I want it to be a surprise;” I said firmly, my arms around his waist “It’s too early to tell anyways, they can’t do that until the second scan,”
Jack’s shoulders dropped a little – he looked deflated
“I’m sorry,” I smiled at him
“It’s fine,” He said and kissed my head “They’re taking there time getting here,”
“The appointment’s not until 11, its fine,” I said “We could always just go inside and check ourselves in?”
But at that moment I saw Alex and Bianca walking from the car park toward us – I broke away from Jack to wave at them. I wanted to keep this as calm a situation as possible.
We walked into the hospital and I checked in then we all sat in the waiting room in awkward silence – the four of us getting strange looks from the happy couples that sat around us. I wanted to punch all of them that had it so easy.
My name was finally called and we all followed the nurse who seemed slightly surprised by the amount of people that followed me into the ultrasound room.
I flopped down onto the couch and she pulled up my shirt.
“So, who’s the father?” She asked, squirting the gel onto her palm
Jack grabbed hold of my hand and there was more awkward silence, I couldn’t see what the other 3 were doing but I imagined awkward glances were made.
“You?” She asked, looking at Jack – I felt him shrug “I see,”
I heard Alex mutter something and Jack mutter something back – but couldn’t quite pick it up. It was probably a good thing I didn’t hear it.
Suddenly we heard the heartbeat, I took a sharp intake of air – staring intently at the monitor screen. It was amazing.
I tilted my head upward to look at the massive smile on Jack’s face.
“That’s coming from your tummy,” He exclaimed
Alex, on the other hand, was very quite but his face was thoughtful and verging tears. I wanted him to say something – but the tears told me that at least he cared.
I looked at Bianca with nothing but content in my eyes. None of this was her fault and she had every right to be here if she was going to be part of Alex’s family in the future. The baby had brought so much peach to me and it hadn’t even been born yet.
I turned to look back at the screen one last time.
“I’ll just get some photographs of it for you,” The nurse said “Shall I make extra copies?”
That was an odd question. I thought.
“That would be nice, thank you,” Jack said calmly
I squeezed his hand tighter.
The nurse pressed a few buttons and they printed out infront of us and she handed one copy to me and another to Alex.
“It’s so weird,” I said – utterly captivated by this one photograph “In a few months that thing will be a baby,”
“And you’ll have to look after it!” The nurse added
What a sarcastic bitch I thought, not impressed by her constant comments.
I pulled my top back down over the cold jelly and hopped back off the couch to stand up next to an affectionate Jack.
“So come back in a few months for the final scan and then you’ll be ready!” The nurse smiled
“OK, thank you,” I replied and left, followed by the others who said their thanks to the nurse
We walked down the corridor taking it in turns to look at the picture of the thing inside my stomach. I still couldn’t get my head around it.
“Not long now,” Jack said – pulling me round the waist to walk along beside him
“We should start thinking of names,” Alex said – looking at me
I looked back and smiled a little. At least he was trying.
“Very true,” I nodded “I’m not having any of those stupid celebrity names though – I just want something the kid won’t get bullied for,”
“Agreed,” Alex said, smiling at Bianca who smiled back at him
We said our goodbyes and left seperately to go back to our seperate lives. Jack drove me home and I couldn’t stop staring at the picture and at the smile that never left his face. My hand never left my stomach either.