Mixed CD's

Dresses

Dresses
1. Pour Some Sugar On Me-Def Leopard
2. Across the Sea-Weezer
3. Walking After You-Foo Fighters
4. I Will Posses Your Heart-Death Cab For Cutie
5. Jersey-Mayday Parade
6. Here In Your Arms-Hellogoodbye
7. I Want You-Elvis Costello
8. A Thousand Miles-Vanessa Carton
9. Creep-Radiohead
10. Divine Intervention-Taking Back Sunday
11. Your Beautiful-James Blunt


I heaved my dirty hamper up before slowly making my way down the stairs to the basement where the washer was located. As I was emptying the clothes into the machine my phone vibrated in my pocket. I shoved it between my ear and shoulder after I hit the talk button.

“Hello?” I mumbled, pouring the liquid soap into the cap and then letting it splash onto my clothes.

“Hey Jimmie, it’s Danielle..” a soft voice said.

I smiled widely. “Hey! How are you?” I questioned, flipping the lid down on the washer and starting it.

“Pretty good. I was actually wondering what you were up to today.”

“Not much, just doing some laundry. Why what’s up?” I wiped my hands off of my pajama pants before making my way back to my room.

“Do you wanna go shopping or something? I have no plans today and you popped up in my mind.”

I smiled again. “Yeah, that’d be cool. I have a gig and need to get something for it.”

“Okay sweet. Want to meet up at the mall? Say in twenty minutes?”

“Make it an hour and you got yourself a deal.” I laughed “I am still in my jammies.”

She laughed “Okay. I’ll see you in an hour Jimmie.”

I said a quick goodbye before hanging up and going to my closet. I sang softly with the music playing in the background as I shuffled through the clean tops with a sigh, not finding anything that I could completely agree with. After going through my tops three or four times I settled on a red top with white strips on the bottom. With the soft fabric secure in my hand I searched for a clean, or semi-clean, pair of shorts and changed.

“Going somewhere?” Ben asked from my doorway.

I looked over and smiled, Ange was sitting in his arms, her little head perched on his hands before he placed her on the floor. “Yeah. Shopping with Danielle. I need something nice for my gig next Thursday.” as soon as Ange heard my voice she padded over to me and rubbed against my bare leg.

“Isn’t that Caleb’s ex?” he questioned, crossing his arms and leaning against my doorframe.

“Yeah,” I responded, giving him an odd look. “But we talked and we both decided it’d be best if we were friends. This way I can find out all of Caleb’s secrets.” I grinned evilly.

Ben chuckled, “I don’t think you’ll want to hear all of them.”

“Not his dirty ones. Just the funny ones.” I replied, slipping my red keds on and looking for my bag, wallet and phone. “I really want to know the best tickle spot.”

Ben rolled his eyes and pointed to my flowered bag. I slipped it over my shoulder. “I think I should warm him. So he’s not surprised when he gets home.”

“And that would be why I’m glad you don’t have his number. Can I borrow your car?” I smiled sweetly, putting my hand out for his keys.

“I guess.’ he sighed, placing the metal into my palm.

“Thanks Ben.” I said, walking back to my desk where I quickly put my make-up on and fixed my hair.

I snuck a glance at the clock and saw that I needed to leave now in order to make it on time. I ran down the stairs, yelling a quick goodbye to Ben, before jumping in his car and driving to the local mall.

With my bag secured around my neck, tucked off to my left side, I walked into the mall. I heard my phone going off and quickly answered it.

“Hey Jimmie, it’s Danielle. Wanna meet up in the food court?” she asked.

“Yeah, I’ll be there in a second.” I replied, turning around and following the smell of Chinese food. I heard her say a goodbye and snapped my phone shut. Once I made it to the food court I scanned the tables, spotting her sitting down with something from Starbucks. I zigzagged through the people and tables before sitting down across from her. “Hey.” I smiled.

“Hi!” she exclaimed, pushing another cup towards me. “Can’t go shopping without some caffeine. I hope you don’t mind, but I called and asked Caleb what you could like.”

I laughed and grabbed the warm cup. “I’ll only mind if he got it wrong. I mean, he is my boyfriend and I am like addicted to this stuff.”

Her eyes widened “You two are finally dating now?” she asked, fighting to hold back either shock or excitement.

“Made it official when I went to Wisconsin. Well, it happened in Ohio after he sobered up and-” I sighed, shaking my head, deciding not to tell her everything. “he decided not to be stupid anymore.”

She let out an excited squeal and grabbed my free hand. “I’m really happy for you both. Maybe that’s why he’s talking to me again. He has someone new, someone who he doesn’t want to loose.” she winked.

I smiled. “Maybe, well, I hope.” I let out a small laugh and brought the coffee to my lips. I blew gently into the plastic lid before taking a small sip and grinning as the taste of caffeinated caramel hit my tongue.

“I’m taking it he got it right.” she laughed, letting go of my hand and standing up. I nodded my head and followed her example. “Good, cause I had to promise not to tell you any important secrets of his, or embarrass him.”

“Do you consider telling me his tickle spot fall into either of those categories?” I inquired, raising an eyebrow.

She put a finger to her lip to look as if she were thinking. “Yeah.” she frowned and paused, “You didn’t hear it fro me. Behind his knees are pretty ticklish, and of course his stomach.”

I grinned. “This looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship.” I linked my arm through hers as we made our way to our first of many stores.

++

I ran my fingers along the side of a beautiful cream dress and sighed as I looked at the price.

“That would look amazing on you!” Danielle gasped, pulling it off the rack and pressing it against my body. “Go try it on!”

I laughed and pushed it away. “There is no way. I do not have the money for this, beautiful as it is. I work at the church, and I’ve only just gotten my first gig outside of it.” I place it back on the rack.

“Then I’ll buy it for you!” she said, going to grab it again.

I shook my head, “I honestly can’t let you do that.” she pouted. “I just wouldn’t feel right. Maybe we could stop at Goodwill and I can look at dresses there.”

She sighed but nodded, tucking her brown hair behind her eat. “There should be something cute there.”

“Cute and cheap, just the way I like it. I wouldn’t bother with a dress but when the bride called me last week she requested that I did.” I rolled my eyes.

“We’ll find one that makes you look awesome, then take pictures and send them to Caleb. He’ll be wishing he was home so bad.” I laughed and agreed, linking my arm with hers and making our way through the store.

++

I placed my Victoria’s Secret and Barnes and Nobel bags into the trunk while Danielle placed hers into her car. My phone let out a loud beep, alerting me that I had missed either a text or a phone call. I searched for it in my flowered bag, when I flipped it open the four new texts screen flashed. I sighed before clicking to read them.

The newest was from Ben, requesting that I put gas into his car so he could get to work tomorrow. I answered telling him I would.

The next one was Jason. My heard dropped as I read the text, begging me to take him back. I deleted it quickly.

The following was from Caleb, and I couldn’t stop the smile from appearing on my face. My heart swelled just from his name and the sweet little question asking if I was having fun.

“Tell him you bought bras. I have an evil plan.” Danielle said, causing me to jump. I placed my hand over my heart and turned to look at her.

“Don’t scare me like that!” I exclaimed, pushing her slightly. She started to laugh but quickly stopped when she saw I was serious.

“I’m sorry.” she said, “I’ll try not to scare you from now on.”

I nodded and sighed “Sorry. I’m just…jumpy sometimes.” I said, texting Caleb, telling him just what Danielle said and looking at my last text, feeling my heart thud in my chest as I saw that it was also from Jason.

“No one is better than me. Soon you will see.”

I deleted it before Danielle had the change to read it. “So, I’ll just drive to Goodwill and then drop you off here?” I asked, getting into the drivers seat.

“Yeah, sounds good.” she said, quickly following me into the car. Once she shut her door, I locked them and sped out of the parking lot.

++

I parked in an open parking spot and shut the car off. I glanced around the parking lot, not looking for anyone in particular, just making sure, before getting out.

“I think you sped the entire way here.” Danielle said, stepping out of the car and following me.

I chose to ignore her comment and grinned at the sign outside. “Buy one get on half off: Summer dresses!” I exclaimed, almost jumping with joy. “See? This is why I love this store!” I made my way towards the dresses, pulling one off the rack and examining it.

“This one.” she said, pushing a dress in my hands and grabbing the one I was holding. I looked down at it, the top was black while the skirt was a white.

“It’s pretty.” I grinned, tucking it around my arm. “I wanna find a few more before trying them on though.” I said, skimming through the rest of the dresses. I grabbed a greenish blue spaghetti-strapped dress off and placed it in the blue along with a blue one with sparkles. Danielle handed me a red one and an orange on while I added a pink and white stripped one to the pile. “Okay, I think I have enough.” I laughed turning to go to the dressing rooms.

“Okay, this was a yes, no, no, yes, yes, yes, no.” Danielle said, placing the no’s back onto the rack and handing me the four yeses; the red one, the black and white one, the pink and white one and the greenish blue one.

“Oh man. I’m so please.” I said, going to pay for my dresses. “Thanks for inviting me out today Danielle.” I said, paying the cashier and grabbing the large plastic bag.

“No problem Jimmie.” she smiled, linking her arm through mine as we made our way back to my car. “Wanna know that I plan that I had about Caleb?” she asked, reminding me that I forgot to text him back.

“Yes please!” I said, putting my bag into the back seat and hopping in front.

“When you get home text him saying that you wanna model what you bought.” she said with an evil smile. I gave her a confused look. “He’ll think you’re sending him pictures of you in bras!” she exclaimed, laughing.

“Oh, you are mean.” I said, smiling also while texting Caleb that I missed him too.

“Ack, you two make me sick.” she joked,

“Well, if you don’t like it, don’t read over my shoulder.” I said, putting the car into drive. She just laughed as I drove her back to the mall.

++

“send me a picture of what?” was Caleb’s witty comeback when I sent him the text. I just smiled to myself and snapped a picture of me in my black and white dress before sending it to him.

I smiled to myself before slipping the dress up and hanging it nicely in my closet, next to my other new dresses. I smiled to myself before changing into some shorts and an old t-shirt and lying down on my bed. My hand found it’s way to Ange’s soft fur and I gently scratched behind her ears. My phone soon vibrated and my smirked to myself, flipping it open, expecting it to be a text from Caleb, but instead he was calling me.

“Hello love.” I answered, trying not to laugh.

“Now that was just plain mean.” he said, trying to sound serious.

“You liked it.” I responded, laughing.

“Well, the dress does look pretty cute on you.” he said, and I smiled a little to myself.

“I’m glad you like it. I’m thinking about wearing it to the gig next Thursday.”

“Mmm, that’d be nice.” he said, and I could tell he was busy.

“Do you want to talk later?” I asked, hoping I was heard above Kyle in the background.

“No, no!” he quickly said, telling the guys he’d be back later. “I was alone but they quickly came into the front lounge, I’ll go to my bunk.” I smiled into the phone and laughed when I heard someone yell ‘no phone sex!’

After Caleb got situated in his bunk I asked “How’s tour going?”

“It’s good.” he said, and I could hear the smile in his voice “I love playing for crowds every night, and meeting fans after the show. It’s just so amazing.” He went on a bit about how much he loved touring and I listened the to the whole thing. “Maybe one day you can do this with your music. I mean, if you want to that is.”

I thought about it for a second. “Maybe.” I answered, “I’m not sure, I mean. It’d be cool, but I such bad nerves, sometimes it’s hard to play at church. This gig coming up is going to be a big test for myself.”

“I wish I was there to help.” he said, sounding sincere.

“It’s okay love.” I said, “You’re living your dream, and as long as I get my phone calls from you I’ll be happy. Oh, and lots of cuddling when you’re home.”

He chuckled and agreed. “So that dress you sent me a picture of is the one for the gig?”

“Yup.” I answered, popping the p. “I was going to buy this beautiful cream one, but it was way too expensive.” I sighed.

“That’s too bad.” he said, “but the one that you have looks really nice on you. I wish I could see it in person…along with some other things that you bought.”

I laughed “You mean the other dresses?!” I asked, goofing around.

“Uh, yeah, that’s totally and completely what I meant.” he said, clearing his throat. I just laughed again.

“God I miss you.” I mumbled, hugging Ange to my chest.

“I miss you too babe.” he automatically responded. “When I come home I promise we’ll cuddle and watch like eight hours of Harry Potter.”

“Deal.” I said, smiling widely. “Can you come home tomorrow?” I joked.

He sighed, “No, not for another twenty two days.”

“You counting down the days?” I softly questioned, missing him more and more as we talked.

“More like the hours.” he responded with a slight laugh.

I smiled to myself and let him talk more about how he missed me, then about the show that night, about how he hoped Louie was doing okay, that he was glad I had fun with Danielle, that I’ll do fine at my gig, and then back to missing each other.

The phone call took about two hours, and by the end of it my heart was aching for him to come back home. But I knew that he couldn’t, and that I can’t bring him home, and that if I want him I’m going to have to live with it.

And I can do that.
♠ ♠ ♠
Jimmies outfit
Dresses

A big special thanks to SparksTheRescue for helping me out with the track listing while I wrote this chapter! I love you Jess!