Status: Finished (:

The Weight of Her

Contagious Chemistry

Image

Shaun glanced up at the clock nervously. It was already quarter past nine. After the somewhat awkward, yet tons of fun, Applebee’s dinner with Rhylie and Kennadi, Shaun had taken Rhylie’s advice and finally grew a pair and asked out Kennadi. He invited her to a small party at his place so it wouldn’t be so intimidating/awkward if it had just been them. He had given her the proper directions and his number in case she got lost and told her the party was around 9 or so. He was probably just worrying over nothing. After all, it was only 9:15. He was just so damn nervous.

Mason, being the best friend he was, seemed to have read his mind and offered him a shot. Shaun took it gratuitously, saying that this would be the only one for the night. Mason nodded and laughed. Yeah, like he would be able to remember that himself. He could already feel his nerves calming down once he downed it.

The doorbell rang, and he excused himself from the group he was talking with and went to go answer it. A wide grin spread across his face once he saw it was Kennadi and she had brought along one of her girlfriends. She was smiling nervously. “Hey,” Shaun greeted, hugging her lightly.

“Hi,” She said, hugging back. “This is my roommate, Delia.” She introduced them once they pulled away. “Delia, this is Shaun.”

“Hey, good to meet you,” He said, shaking her hand. “I’m glad you guys could come.” Though he said it more to Kennadi. He moved aside though they could come inside. “Can I get you anything to drink?

Shouts then erupted from the kitchen. They all looked over and saw some of the guys doing a keg stand. A smile crept up on Delia’s face as she said, “I’ve found my calling.”

As she began to walk off Kennadi grabbed her arm, digging in her fingernails. “You’re leaving me alone?” She asked terrified in a hushed tone.

“You’ll be fine.” Delia whispered back. She looked from Shaun then back to Kennadi quickly. “Go get ‘em tiger!” She smiled proudly before walking into the kitchen and joining in on the fun.

“I want to apologize in advance for any noise complaints, broken artifacts, etc, etc.” Kennadi said, referring to Delia. She had the tendency to become a very clumsy, loud drunk and Kennadi was always apologizing for her behavior and paying for the damage.

“She’ll fit right in here,” Shaun laughed, beginning to lead her towards the kitchen, past the keggers. “What can I get you?” He asked, standing in front of the refrigerator.

“Uhm, just water please.” She answered. Shaun nodded and pulled out a water, handing it to her. “Designated driver.” She explained. Shaun nodded again in understanding. “Plus I have class tomorrow.” She added.

“You’re not still in high school, right?” Shaun asked in mock horror.

“Oh no,” Kennadi laughed, shaking her head. “Definitely not.”

More cheers and shouts erupted from the keg. They both looked over and saw that Delia was now doing a keg stand. Kennadi knew she could out drink all those boys any day.

“Let’s go outside, where it’s less loud,” Shaun suggested. Kennadi nodded, and followed him outside. The music that had been playing inside was heard at a softer volume outside. There was a group of people in the hot tub. Shaun led her over to a lounge chair, sat on it, and patted the seat next to him directing her to sit down as well. He was feeling way more confident thanks to the shot he had taken earlier.

“So what’re you studying?” Shaun asked, once they were both situated.

“Psychology,” She answered. “With a minor in English Lit.” She smiled. “I know, that’s probably one of the oddest combinations ever.”

They both laughed. “No, it’s interesting.” Shaun replied, genuinely interested. “I’m really glad you came tonight.” He said, changing the subject and catching them both off guard.

“Uh yeah,” She smiled, feeling less nervous the more she was around him. “Me too.”

The two talked for what seemed like the forever. The party was beginning to die down a little, with only Shaun’s close friends and Delia remaining. All drunk of course and still playing drinking games. That didn’t seem to phase them though. They weren’t even paying attention, just focusing on them, hanging on every word they said. At some point during their conversation he had put his arm around her lower waist resting his hand on her hip, while she had subtly scooted in closer to him.

“Shaun!” A shrill voice shrieked. They both snapped their heads up to see a blonde girl standing the in doorway of the kitchen, glaring at both of them.

“Summer?” Shaun asked, peering at the figure with shock and confusion. “What’re you doing here?”

“Like I would miss the chance to see you,” She said, stepping outside. She gave Kennadi a fake smile and held out her hand, “Hi, I’m Summer.”

“Uh,” Kennadi looked from her to Shaun with an expression that showed she was just as confused as him. “Kennadi,” She said, slowly shaking her hand.

“Shaun, Shaun‘s new girlfriend whose name I don‘t know!” Mason now stood in the doorway, waving his hands in a drunken manner. Shaun shook his head and stood up, then helped up Kennadi. “Get your asses inside, we’re about to play some rock band!”

“This should be good,” Shaun said, walking inside trusting that Kennadi was behind him and completely ignoring Summer. Kennadi began to follow Shaun in when Summer stopped her.

“Okay, I don’t know what you think you’re doing,” Summer said in a menacing tone. “But back off. Shaun and I may be broken up, but we’re not over yet.”

“That makes no sense.” Kennadi replied, showing she wasn’t intimidated at all by her. “I don’t think you can use a double negative in that sense.”

“I don’t know what that means, but just back off,” Summer replied, poking her chest. Kennadi slapped her finger away, annoyed by the girl already. “You don’t belong here, got it? Shaun’s only looking your way because he needs a pathetic rebound. You’ll never be good enough.”

Kennadi rolled her eyes and walked back inside to see Shaun, standing behind the couch, laughing at his friends who were now missing every note. Delia was on vocals, obviously drunk, and making up new words as she went. It was just too entertaining not to laugh at. Summer followed her, closing the door and grabbing an abandoned martini off the counter. All the guys clapped and applauded Delia once the song ended.

“Kenny!” Delia slurred, ecstatic to see her best friend. “Did you like my performance?!”

Kennadi laughed at her drunk friend and nodded. “You totally had John Lennon rolling over his grave,” Kennadi jokingly yelled out to her. Delia let out a scream of excitement and raised her arms triumphantly in the air. Shaun laughed at them both.

Summer noticed their hands graze each others and became jealously enraged. She grabbed her drink and walking over, pretending to trip and spill it all down Kennadi’s dress. The room went silent with shock at what had just happened. Kennadi smiled, trying to hide the hurt and tears that were welling in her eyes. Everyone just stared in silence, mouths hanging, as she walked away with class into the nearby bathroom.

“Stupid, stupid, stupid,” She muttered, as she wet the wash cloth and tried to clean up dress. It was no use though, she would have to get it dry cleaned. “You should never have come tonight,” The tears rolled down her cheeks and she tried to calm herself down.

There was a soft knock at the door followed by, “Kennadi?” It was Shaun.

“Just a minute,” She called out, quickly wiping her eyes trying to compose herself. Shaun didn’t wait though, and let himself in, closing the door behind him so they could have some privacy. Though he knew it wouldn’t be long till everyone was outside trying to listen in.

“I’m sorry about Summer,” Shaun began to apologize profusely. “She shouldn’t have done that and I’m so sorry.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Kennadi said, putting down the wash cloth and still standing with her back to him. “She was right anyways,”

Shaun’s eyebrows furrowed in bewilderment. “What D’you mean?” He asked cautiously.

“I don’t belong here. You’re a famous athlete and I’m just a florist. Let’s just face it, it wouldn’t wo--”

She was cut off by his lips colliding with hers. They were calloused, but still soft against hers. She wasted no time, kissing him back. Both feeling the shockwaves run through their bodies.

“I’m sorry,” Shaun said, once they pulled away. “I’ve just been wanting to do that since I met you.” He rested his forehead against hers and licked his lips. “Cinnamon buns?” He asked, referring to her lip gloss that he could taste on his lips. She nodded and they both laughed, leaning in to kiss each other again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Awww, yay!
First kiss!

Anyways, I hope you liked it.
I'm holding chapter hostage until I get more than 2 comments.
So comment/subscribe.

Tell me your predictions and what you think is going to happen!