Quiet Little Monsters

you can spend the night

Gavin and Bella were serving the front while I cleaned up the tiny restroom in the corner of the bakery. It never needed much except a quick scrub and a paper refill. I was just finishing up and heading to my office when Finn Watson entered the shop. Gavin was a little angry; he thought that Finn had somehow hurt me after our fight that day I told him to leave me alone.

Anyway, I nearly dropped the bucket of cleaning supplies I was holding, but instead walked around the filled tables and went straight to my office, not looking at Finn as I did. I put the bucket back in the closet and took a deep breath, before stepping out again and looking at Finn, who was now sitting at a table, looking flustered.

I tapped him on his shoulder and he looked up at me. I jerked my head towards the door and he stood up and followed me out. Gavin and Bella were watching his in disbelief. Bella was interested, she thought it was like a soap opera that she had front row seats to. Gavin hated it. He thought that Finn was a pompous jerk.

Finn and I stepped out onto the busy street but found refuge under the shade of a tree that stood right in front of the shop.

Finn's mop of dark hair was messy and not in a beanie that day. I also noticed that the tattoo of the elk on his arm was displayed, not hidden by a sweater. I finally looked in his eyes and said, "What are you doing here?"

He hesitated before saying, "To apologize. I –fucked up. I know I did. I want you to know that I'm sorry."

"So you didn't break up with Harriet?" I whispered.

"Yeah. I did," Finn whispered.

"Then why wouldn't you let me check?"

"Because I don't want you to see," Finn replied coolly.

"I don't understand," I said back just as icily, "What do you want?"

"I want you to forget that any of that stupid shit happened. I promise I won't act that way again."

"I was pretty terrible, too," I murmured though. It felt wrong for him to take all the blame.

He and I stared at each other for a minute, "I'm not saying that we have to be together. I know you like that guy," he gestured to the café, and I knew he meant Gavin.

"I do like him. I like him a lot," I said.

Finn's eyes flashed but he grinned anyway. "See, that's okay. I don't want us to be fucked over by stupid things. We can be friends," he muttered.

I looked up at him, my eyes mistrusting his overly friendly glare. "Are you lying?" I asked.

"No," he said seriously, "I'm not."

I dug into his eyes and could find no falsehood, so I nodded, "Don't be a fucking liar, alright?" I whispered softly, "I hate liars."

He nodded too. "I promise I won't."

I stared at him for a while longer, seeing if he would crack, but he only looked back at me with a blazing look.

"Is that it?" I asked, looking over his shoulder into the café where Gavin was wiping down tables.

"No." He glanced over his own shoulder and followed my gaze.

"No?" I asked, ripping my eyes back to his.

"I talked to my dad about you," he muttered.

I stared at him. "What did he say?"

"He wants to meet you. He really, really wants to meet you," he said with a smile.

I grinned. "Really?"

"Yeah. He said for you to come as soon as possible," he said quietly.

"Oh my gosh! Like today? Can we go now? I've gotta get my coat. Hold on-"

"No, Dolly. He lives in New Hampshire now," Finn replied with a roll of his eyes and a smile.

"Oh..." I faltered.

"We can fly-"

"No!" I cut him off. "No. I," I gulped, "I don't fly."

Finn looked at me carefully. "Or we can drive."

"Driving it is, then," I said loudly.

"Okay," Finn smiled, "Do you drive?"

"Fuck no. I hate even being in cars. Road rage gives me a migraine," I said.

He smiled, "I'll drive then."

I smiled at him. "When can we leave?"

"Well... I've got to get days off from my boss. But he'll probably fire me for leaving," Finn mused aloud.

"Oh, then maybe you can fly there. Gavin can drive-"

"No! I've been meaning to quit anyway. Plus David can get me a job at the store he works at," Finn reassured me quickly.

"David? Your friend from last night?" I asked, recalling the other guy he was having dinner with on my date with Gavin.

"Yep. That's the one," he said.

"Well. Tomorrow? Can we go tomorrow?" I questioned eagerly. I had never wanted to meet anyone more in my whole life.

Finn smiled. "Pack your bags, Dolly. I'll pick you up in the morning."

He gingerly grabbed my face and kissed my forehead before walking down Lily Oak St. This time he did look back. He grinned.

Image

Luella stood above me while I packed. Her arms were crossed and she smiled at me, shaking with excitement.

"I am so excited for you, Dolly! This is big," she said with her little southern drawl.
"Me too," I sighed, stuffing a pink dress into my lavender suitcase.

"And you get to spend time with Finn," Luella reminded me.

I shook my head slowly, "That's not why I'm going, Lu."

"Sure, it isn't, Dolly."

"Shut up."

I can still get in your head. Technically, I can't shut up.

"Alright, smartass."

I called Gavin right before I went to sleep, explaining to him that I had an important trip to take. He understood completely. Luella would be taking on the bakery during my absence and he told me he couldn't wait for me to get back. I can't read thoughts through the phone, but I was pretty certain he was being sincere.

Just as I was getting into my bed, I realized that I would be spending the next few days with Finn Watson. I fell asleep with a faint smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
"It's Friday night and I ain't got nobody. Oh, what's the use of making a bed?"

-Black Kids