Quiet Little Monsters

love will tear us apart

The sun. It burned the bare skin of my back and made me stick to the chest I was sprawled against. Finn slept and I felt some wind enter the small space through a cracked open window. A car passed by and saw a glimpse of my bare shoulder and the driver found himself wondering why there was a naked girl in the car...

"Finn!" I said loudly, but he merely grabbed me tighter and murmured, "Jussleep, Dolly."

"I can't 'jussleep,' Finn! We've got to get moving. Seriously."

"Why?" he mumbled, still not opening his eyes.

"Because the sun is coming up and we're naked and we're on the side of the road in your shitty ass car!"

"Oh, fuck. You're right," he whined and sat up.

I blushed violently, already feeling awkward. The night before had been wonderful and now we were naked and sweaty in his little car somewhere in Kansas and the magic was a little less pronounced. I was scared and that was why I found myself staring at my hands as I searched around for my yellow summer dress.

Finn suddenly put a hand under my chin and narrowed his eyes at my reddened cheeks. What's wrong? he asked. I pulled away and shook him off.

"Dolly?" he asked.

"What?" I asked meekly as he slipped on his boxers and found his John Lennon tee shirt. "What do you mean 'what'?" Finn muttered.

"I mean exactly what I said," I said, keeping my eyes off of him.

"Hey, Dolly! We just made love in my car, why are you ignoring me?" Finn asked with mock casualness, reaching over to pull my eyes to his.

"I hate when people say 'made love.' And I'm just kind of embarrassed, okay?" I said haughtily, like a child.

"Embarrassed, why the fuck are you embarrassed?"

"I don't know! A lot happened last night and I don't know what to do with it!" I cried loudly.

"We don't have to do anything about it right now. We don't need to have a goddamn plan, alright? I don't regret anything that we did or we felt or we thought. Do you?" he gave me a stony look.

"No," I muttered timidly.

"Then stop worrying," Finn shrugged his shoulders and pulled on his pants, "All we have to worry about now is walking to the next town."

I felt a smile on my lips as he gave me a crooked grin. "And another thing," I whispered.

"What?"

"I can't find my bra."

Image

We walked for six miles in the hot sun, toting our suitcases behind us. When we finally did reach the tiny town, Finn and I headed straight for an even tinier auto repair shop which was located at the entrance.

Finn Watson and I found ourselves walking out from the auto shop after handing the worker there the keys to Finn's dead car and telling him the location of said car. We walked to a near motel, hand in hand, watching the sunset and feeling the heat ebb away with the night.

The sleepy motel was empty and as soon as Finn and I entered the room, we threw our bags in separate directions and collapsed on the bed. "I'm tired," I whined but Finn kissed my neck. He smiled and looked up at me. "How tired?"

"Really tired," I stated with a grin. Suddenly, my celphone rang and I sat up and dug through my corduroy purse to get it.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Dolly? Dolly, it's Luella!"

"Lu? What's up? You sound weird," I asked.

"Dolly, your mom's here! What do I do?" Luella sounded worried.

"My mom? What is she doing there?" I gasped.

"She says she came to check in! She wants your new celphone number. Do I give it to her?"

"No! No, no, no," I replied hurriedly, "What'd you tell her?"

"I told her you went to see some friends in New Hampshire and that you'd be back in a week or so. I told her that I am your former lesbian lover and that's why I'm taking care of the bakery for you!"

"You didn't!" I breathed.

"I panicked, Dolly! You know I say dumb shit when I lie!" Luella whined.

"You're so fucking insane, Lu! You didn't even have to lie! Did she say how long she'd be staying?"

"She said she would stay at the Peninsula till you got back. She scares me, Dolly. She looks just like you except old and meaner," Lu whispered.

"I'm not mean!" I said.

"Yeah you are! But you're nicer than you are meaner!"

"Okay, thanks," I muttered dryly.

"And when are you coming back? Gavin and Bella keep complaining that they miss you. They're really cool, by the way! And Gavin –such a hottay. Did you hook up with Finn yet?" she rambled.

"Okay. Bye, Luella!" I sang and hung up."Bye, Dollyface! Love you!" she screeched before I pressed the button.

Finn –who had been holding my hand the whole conversation and because of that could hear my thoughts, which in turn let him hear the entire conversation with Luella- looked at me with a small smile.

"Can I meet your mom when we get back?" he asked with a wicked smile.

"Oh, shut up!" I wailed and curled up against him, "You know how people say that when one part of your life goes right, another has to go wrong? That’s what happened here. It's like the law of the world or something."

"So you think I'm a right thing?" Finn asked with a tugging of one brow.

"Oh, shut up. Your cockiness is not sexy right now," I murmured.

"Really? Not even a little bit?"

"No."

"Really?"

"Not in the slightest, pervert," I said.

Finn gave me another grin and gave me a kiss.

"When are we getting to see your dad?" I asked him.

"If the car is better by tomorrow, we can power through for like two or three more days."

"What's he like?" I asked nervously.

"Like you, except a man."

"Oh har har, you know what I mean. What's his name?"

"Leon. And he's a good man. He worked as a detective in homicide, you know. He used his mind reading as an advantage."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

"So, he's like CSI and shit?"

Finn burst into laughter and kissed me. For the first time in forever, I was happy.
♠ ♠ ♠
"Why is the bedroom so cold, turned away on your side?"

-Joy Division

I hate school.
If school were a person,
I'd slap her like a beech.
Then I'd call her mom
like Regina George did to
that one girl in Mean Girls.
Yessss.

But it's not a person.
It's a monster that makes me do
homework and taunts me with summer
like one of those stick thingies that carry meat
on them that they use to lure alligators.
I don't know if I made that up.

Oh, good night! I'm too tired to think.
FEEDBACK would be loverly.

xo j.