Every Word

nineteen.

Early December in northern Washington means snow. And lots of it. It was fun a first. The snow men, snow ball fights, sledding. Of course, I was always with you, so it made it ten times better. Then the real snow hit. We got four feet and you and your mother weren't up for shoveling out snow. You guys seemed a bit preoccupied with worrying about how long you would be stuck in the house. About the next time you would make it to the store. Then the real problem hit. Where was Kevin?

"I'm such a terrible person! How could I just forget about a dog!?" You were crying over the phone as you told me about Kevin. "The snow keeps piling up. It would be impossible to find her, and it would be impossible to get out of the house. It's above my waist Marcus! What if she's buried under snow and I won't know until God knows when!?"

"Well, she has a dog house doesn't she?" I really didn't know what to say about the whole situation. I knew exactly why you were freaking out, and I didn't want to tell you the truth, I couldn't bare what your reaction might be. "What if she's in her dog house, no snow would get in there. She might be fine."

"And if she's not?" I hated to hear you like this. I could just imagine what you looked like. Eyes puffy and red, nose running, face flushed. I couldn't stand even just the mental image, I had to be there for you.

"I think I'm going to come over." I said not even thinking. Over four feet of snow, probably even up to five, still snowing, freezing temperature, and up hill. That didn't seem too bad, if I got to see you out of the mix, I'd do it.

"No, really. Just stay home please." You sighed and I knew you meant it.

"I want to. Besides, My driveway is all shoveled out, and the roads are clear, it'll be no problem." It would be, but I already said I'd do it, so I'll do it.

"It's too cold Marcus, and there's too much snow. Please, I'm fine." You said that in the most honest voice, but I still knew you would love to have me there.

"I'm putting together a search team right now Hun." I said in my best impression of a mountain man voice. "We'll be there in no time, just stay calm." You laughed and that was the last thing I let myself hear. I wouldn't take another no from you.

It really wasn't a problem getting to your place. The snow in your yard had frozen over the top making myself as tall as the roof when I stood on it. The hardest part was finding your door, but it was fun.

"Oh my god." You said as you opened your door. You hugged me tight and pulled me in the door. "Where's the search team." You asked sniffing. Your nose was still running from the previous tears. But you'd stopped crying by this time.

"They died, fell off the mountain. They didn't have a chance." I said with a serious face. It made you smile again and I felt like the luckiest man in the world. "But I'm here. Besides, those guys smelt terrible."

"You're really too much." You said and pulled me into another hug. This was perfect. Just standing there in each other's arms. I was no longer cold from the snow. I let go of you to take off my snow clothes and sat with you on the couch. We didn't say anything. We just sat there, making ourselves comfortable watching old Christmas movies. We didn't need to say anything. I knew that in both of our minds, we were just happy to be with each other. And at the moment, that was all that mattered.

You were all that mattered.